• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to approach a dealer about books I think might be overpriced.
6 6

248 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

If you say it enough then it's true, kind of like build it and they'll come.

Yep.  Amusing, to say the least. 

I can state unequivocally that I have never been accused of being pedantic.  

On 6/23/2019 at 9:21 AM, jsilverjanet said:
On 6/22/2019 at 9:08 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yeah, just get a fan of 50 $1,000 bills, and wave them seductively at your face, while feigning indifference. Make sure you drape your leg casually over the end of the dealer's table.

And wear a short skirt.

:whistle:

You’ve been studying my moves 

No point in learning, if you don't learn from the best. :D

Sometimes, you'll find a dealer is carrying consignment books and they're priced higher than you think they should be. Nothing he can do about that sometimes.

Sometimes, eBay is wrong, especially on a Golden Age book that doesn't have all that many sales. I've seen something sell on eBay for under $100 as an outlier price and then jump X times that value the next few sales because suddenly it wasn't available and a few people started looking for it. 

I've seen dealers decide, this book SHOULD be worth more and I'm going to price it that way and wait. And they're usually not wrong.

And sometimes the dealer may not be as experienced with certain types of books as in this instance.

Yep, the best thing to do is just start a conversation. No telling what you might learn.

On 6/22/2019 at 8:05 PM, Raze said:

Hey guys and gals i was at a con today and saw a dealer with a few books that id like to get. i thought his prices were a little high. The books were in a box off to the side and seemed not to get flipped through because they were GA, his booth was focused towards new/modern. Id like to make and offer but like i said his prices were a little to high. 

So how would/do you go about buying from someone that you think has overpriced books? Do you ask how he prices them? when do you bring OSPG or ebay into the conversation? Do you walk away with your head down thinking of what could have been?

The total for the books would be over $1000 and this would be my first big purchase in bulk so what kind of percentage would be a fair offer? Keep in mind that i think the books are overpriced and my research would suggest that im right.

Be humble.  If you come across as a know it all, things will rapidly go sideways.

Nobody likes a know it all.

Edited by kav

On 6/23/2019 at 12:08 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yeah, just get a fan of 50 $1,000 bills, and wave them seductively at your face, while feigning indifference. Make sure you drape your leg casually over the end of the dealer's table.

And wear a short skirt.

What if you look like Ron Jeremy?

On 6/23/2019 at 1:56 PM, Raze said:

Well thanks everyone for chiming in. The boards are so great with getting added information and becoming a better collector!

As to the deal it went through and it was the most money I’ve ever spent on comic books in one sitting with one dealer.

I had a fairly lengthy conversation with the dealer and explained to him where I thought the pricing might be wrong. He was very receptive and told me he had gotten the books in a trade. He didn’t really know how to price the books and he has been sitting on them for a while. I showed him prices via eBay and 0SPG. 

We came to an agreement and I told him I would have to go get cash because he did not want to except PayPal which that was my fault.

When I came back I looked through a couple more of his boxes and found two more books.

Again thanks to everyone who chimed in I love the Boards!!

Are you going to post pictures of what you bought?

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:
On 6/22/2019 at 9:08 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

And wear a short skirt.

What if you look like Ron Jeremy?

That's the goal.

4 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Are you going to post pictures of what you bought?

I should, shouldnt I? So i will try to post them tonight when I get home.

Also yesterday I saw this thread was locked, how did that happen and then get unlocked?