• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to approach a dealer about books I think might be overpriced.
6 6

248 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

Law school is what blew me up, even in the early 90s. I got out of college owing like $10K.

I was in the financial aid office and some dude came in and said he wanted a student loan of $20.

5 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Here is my morning for those contemplating the glamorous lifestyle I live.

70 year old man came to my house on last Thursday morning after I just got home from a red eye with my overstreet page torn out of the price guide.

Told me that he had approx 500 books,  40's - 70's.  Said that he had bought them.

Set up an appointment,  went there today.

80% 90's books,  nothing from the 40-65,  some and I mean a few late 60's stuff,  no keys.

From chatting with him found out they were given to him by a friend. 

Fastest 10 minute collection review I've ever done.

Did that old man at least give you his shield and tell you that everything worked out great with Peggy Carter?

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Can you figure out a way to sue the Law School you went to?

Law schools get no respect everybody wants them to lower their cost of admission And give refunds for student loans

1 hour ago, Bird said:

Law schools get no respect everybody wants them to lower their cost of admission And give refunds for student loans

I'm not saying it's good, proper and right to sue them, I'm just saying to sue them.

Edited by NoMan

24 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I'm not saying it's good, proper and right to sue them, I'm just saying to sue them.

Sue everyone!

I'm sorry-

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

Can you figure out a way to sue the Law School you went to?

Why? I've done fine. Have been gainfully employed for 23 years. I lived cheap and paid off my loans in less than 3 years.

Truth be told. If you stick with 95% of the dealers on these boards you will never go wrong.

The relationships I have built here , and the amazing people here are what this hobby is all about. 

Meeting up with many of you guys at the shows is almost more important to me than buying the books you provide.

30 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I recall the booth of a well known dealer who showed up in Nashville. His prices were so high that I wasn't interested in haggling at all. 

I never am. If they’re within 10% of what I want to pay, I pay. Close enough. Not gonna haggle over change. But if the prices are ridiculous, there’s always eBay and the forums. 

7 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I never am. If they’re within 10% of what I want to pay, I pay. Close enough. Not gonna haggle over change. But if the prices are ridiculous, there’s always eBay and the forums. 

In my case, I felt like I'd be haggling down to what should have been the starting price. 

Merely tell em all their books are seriously UNDERpriced and show ebay buy it now listings to verify that.  Then, when they change all the prices $$$ wait till the end of the show when they havent sold a single book and begin the bargaining process.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Merely tell em all their books are seriously UNDERpriced and show ebay buy it now listings to verify that.  Then, when they change all the prices $$$ wait till the end of the show when they havent sold a single book and begin the bargaining process.

That is THE DUMBEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD!

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

:roflmao:

Look the strategy worked for Jerry-first telling uncle Leo he was too good for his gf then later saying he should be lucky she even tolerates him for 10 consecutive seconds-

34 minutes ago, kav said:

I guess you dont read many of my posts.

This post sure seems to be rackin up the likes

:idea: Tell the dealer you are a wounded vet who watched his best buddy die in his arms, just after the guy showed you a pic of his girlfriend back home!  Say that it's been your life long dream to own this book-and you would never part with it!  Start tearing up a bit.