• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to approach a dealer about books I think might be overpriced.
6 6

248 posts in this topic

Hey guys and gals i was at a con today and saw a dealer with a few books that id like to get. i thought his prices were a little high. The books were in a box off to the side and seemed not to get flipped through because they were GA, his booth was focused towards new/modern. Id like to make and offer but like i said his prices were a little to high. 

So how would/do you go about buying from someone that you think has overpriced books? Do you ask how he prices them? when do you bring OSPG or ebay into the conversation? Do you walk away with your head down thinking of what could have been?

The total for the books would be over $1000 and this would be my first big purchase in bulk so what kind of percentage would be a fair offer? Keep in mind that i think the books are overpriced and my research would suggest that im right.

6 minutes ago, kav said:

All you can do is make an offer and wave cash.  If they are blinded by greed there is nothing you can do to bust through.

Im glad your back.  Thats kind of what i was thinking but wanted to know a good way around  just waving cash haha.

Just now, Raze said:

Im glad your back.  Thats kind of what i was thinking but wanted to know a good way around  just waving cash haha.

Logic doesnt work.  All you can do is wave cash and hope that triggers the greed button.

4 minutes ago, Raze said:

Yeah, just get a fan of 50 $1,000 bills, and wave them seductively at your face, while feigning indifference. Make sure you drape your leg casually over the end of the dealer's table.

And wear a short skirt.

:whistle:

15 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yeah, just get a fan of 50 $1,000 bills, and wave them seductively at your face, while feigning indifference. Make sure you drape your leg casually over the end of the dealer's table.

And wear a short skirt.

This may just be the greatest advice ever given on these boards or anywhere else!

I would not recommend offering 50 $1000 bills for a collection 'worth over $1000'.  Since the OP did not state it was worth over $2000 I must deduce it was worth between $1000 and $2000.

22 minutes ago, kav said:

I would not recommend offering 50 $1000 bills for a collection 'worth over $1000'.  Since the OP did not state it was worth over $2000 I must deduce it was worth between $1000 and $2000.

But, by using Chuck's "price them like it is the future", it might not be a bad deal to do.

Just now, aszumilo said:

But, by using Chuck's "price them like it is the future", it might not be a bad deal to do.

:flipbait:

58 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

And wear a short skirt.

You just made me spit water all over my keyboard...

And to answer OP's question, just offer what you think is fair and pay no attention if the dealer flips out about it.

Edited by Kahnadah
Extra data, yo.

2 hours ago, Raze said:

Hey guys and gals i was at a con today and saw a dealer with a few books that id like to get. i thought his prices were a little high. The books were in a box off to the side and seemed not to get flipped through because they were GA, his booth was focused towards new/modern. Id like to make and offer but like i said his prices were a little to high.

If he usually deals in moderns, and isn't used to having GA, he has probably priced the heck out of it because he doesn't know when he'll see more.  I don't know that you can expect to get a lot of play when you're targeting a dealer's best material.

On a purchase of more than one book, 10% discount at least.  Keep it under 20%, and he should be willing to work with you.

HI Dan, after 20 years of buying on ebay and very little haggling at cons, I probably have lost any negotiation skills if I ever had them.

But I'd suggest 2 things (basically agree with kav but without his good humor).  Once you have your few books picked out and your offer for the group (say 300, 400 and 400, for books he's asking 400, 500, and 550) tell him you like a few items in particular but they're a little outside your price range.  Ask him if he has any room to discount if you buy a few?

If you're anxious to make the deal he might be able to tell from your body language and dig in (or maybe he just never discounts).  But perhaps you can send the right signals - that you're basically indifferent about the books at his price, but ready to buy at yours if he's willing to part with them.  Just tell him straight up - hey, please don't take offense at my offer, but I'll give you $1100 right now for those 3 books you have listed at $1450. 

Maybe ask him early in the day, and tell him you'll check back at end of day in case he decides he likes your package offer after some time to consider it - later, he might have a had slow con and want some cash, or had an extra good con and so be willing to let them go as a package deal.  Ya never know.  Poor boy if after you spend it all he later decides to work with you - but that would be a good problem to have. 

Must ask - what are you looking at anyway?

11 hours ago, Raze said:

So how would/do you go about buying from someone that you think has overpriced books? Do you ask how he prices them? when do you bring OSPG or ebay into the conversation? Do you walk away with your head down thinking of what could have been?

The total for the books would be over $1000 and this would be my first big purchase in bulk so what kind of percentage would be a fair offer? Keep in mind that i think the books are overpriced and my research would suggest that im right.

Define a "little high"

CGC books or raw?

What reference are you using to determine "value"?

29 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Define a "little high"

CGC books or raw?

What reference are you using to determine "value"?

Raw. Ebay recent sales-raw/CGC/ OSPG,also books currently offered in same grade range. Anywhere from $50-$100 plus over both. I dont have GPA, and not sure if it would help much.

Is there anywhere you would suggest looking other than those 3 options?