how to approach a dealer about books I think might be overpriced.
8 8

248 posts in this topic

2,415 posts
8 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

what book are you discussing? If it is relatively hard to find or considered a classic cover I can see the logic behind a $175 increase over the previous sale. How long ago was the previous sale? Is the book actually the same grade as the previous sale or is it a little nicer?. Are there other copies available to purchase or is his the only one you can find?

Many factors to consider.

How much do you want the book? If I really am after the book $175 isnt going to stop me from buying it although I would make an offer somewhere between the price of the last sale and his listed. $350 perhaps?

Hey so to answer this, is it HTF? there was 1 on ebay nowhere near the same grade (  The one listed was an 8.0)  what sold was a 2.5, The book in question is about a 2.5 3.0 on a good day.  It is not considered a classic cover nor does it have any classic stories Per CGC. Two finished in march (  One raw $172 one CGC $245) One finished in May CGC$630 higher grade).

We did find an in between. But $175 over last sale is overpriced in my opinion.  I understand with a hard to find book or a key book being sold a little bit more than the last previous sale that makes sense to me but the book in question was roughly the same grade or half a point lower depending on how you add your defects that would make this book not worth the $175 mark up to me.

12,428 posts

Here is what I got today after waving my money in a dealers face!

D-Pud4xWsAAep-E.jpg

12,428 posts

I just came back from a storage unit. The person said that they are a contractor and took about 12K comics as payment from someone who was trying to stiff them. I didn't even tell him how bad it was, the best comic there was Hellblazer 27 or maybe it was the X-Men/New Teen Titans. What a colossal waste of time. Omega Men 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and such. Infinite Crisis 1, 2, 4, 6. He is either they are trying to play me for the fool or someone played him for the fool. I will never know as I just told him that I would think about it. He said that he got two offers, one for $9000 and one for $2000 and that he was very angry at the guy who offered him $2000; I would have offered much much less.

49,394 posts
16 minutes ago, Bird said:

I just came back from a storage unit. The person said that they are a contractor and took about 12K comics as payment from someone who was trying to stiff them. I didn't even tell him how bad it was, the best comic there was Hellblazer 27 or maybe it was the X-Men/New Teen Titans. What a colossal waste of time. Omega Men 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and such. Infinite Crisis 1, 2, 4, 6. He is either they are trying to play me for the fool or someone played him for the fool. I will never know as I just told him that I would think about it. He said that he got two offers, one for $9000 and one for $2000 and that he was very angry at the guy who offered him $2000; I would have offered much much less.

weird I recently got stiffed by a contractor on an art job.

3,378 posts
12 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I recently got stiff.

If I see a dealers prices are to high I always start by saying... "hi karl ".

@Artboy99  hehe

14,230 posts
54 minutes ago, Fantastic Thor said:

If I see a dealers prices are to high I always start by saying... "hi karl ".

@Artboy99  hehe

ply me with your chocolates while you hand me nickels.