• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to approach a dealer about books I think might be overpriced.
6 6

248 posts in this topic

The best way to deal with dealers if a book is overpriced is say "this book is overpriced" lol 

7 hours ago, Bird said:

Yes, they are generally nice. Pitchforks haven't been seen around here in a while.

I was not clear though, and meant that they are a tough buying crowd. Things that sell on ebay sit here, even at lower prices. This crowd can be...shal we say...discerning.

That's an understatement. 

15 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Of course Andy can be reasonable when pricing on the boards,  there is 0 cost to selling on the boards except if paypal is involved.  

This is true, but it's offset by the fact that there are few, if any, non-knowledgable buyers on the boards. 

I HAVE to be reasonable with my pricing if I actually want to sell things. Not trying to run museum threads. Way too much work.

I don't do shows anymore, and I realize that is a whole different animal.  But here in the shop I no longer negotiate.  My prices at their highest are in line with market, and most books are priced significantly below that.  I post a volume discount chart, 10%, 15%, 20% off depending upon how much you spend.  Sometimes I don't make much on a given book at the higher discount level, but the hope is that you make it up on other items that the customer might be encouraged to buy to get the best discount.  Collectors and dealers get the exact same deal.  If you spend like a dealer, I see no reason you shouldn't get that level of discount.  Once buyers get used to the idea, it's been working pretty well.  It also keep consistency, for if I'm not around the staff isn't put in the position of haggling.  Of course, you have to be reasonably priced to begin with.  If you jack up prices 50% over FMV then offer discounts, few are going to be fooled.

Here's what I say to a dealer I think is over-priced....   I don't.  I just move on.  Comic collectors forget that there are millions of books out there.  The selection available is mind-boggling.  In fact, it's probably a good thing for dealers that most folks really aren't aware of just how many copies of many books exist, or else much of the market might be worth half of what it currently is.  Unless you're collecting Centaurs, or other uncontested rarities, or are looking for a grade in which there are only 5 existing copies... sooner or later you should be able to find the book you need at a fair price.  And if you ARE seeking those kind of rarities... there is little reason to expect a seller to negotiate on them.

36 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Yep.  They usually end up saying "Thanks... I'll keep that in mind."  

More like I'll just walk around the show to think about it and never come back.

Another is can you hold it for an hour,  just have to check my finances.

Last one is "I've been looking for this book for years".  Doesn't buy it because the hunt would end.

All of these generally result in no shows/no sales.

Edited by blazingbob

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

Last one is "I've been looking for this book for years".  Doesn't buy it because the hunt would end.

I have this happen most often with books (hardbacks, paperbacks).  It will be some obscure paperback that they go on about at some length... how it was their favorite book as a youth, been looking for it for a decade, etc.  They usually begin their saga with "I know you don't have this, but...", or "I know you've never heard of this, but...".  Of course, I have a massive stock of vintage paperbacks (because they seldom sell, so they accumulate), and can usually come up with a copy for them.  Price?  $2.  Answer... "Great!  I'll come back and get that sometime when I have the money!".  Never do of course.  This is not a bizarre one-shot.  This happens probably a half-dozen times every year.

32 minutes ago, Bookery said:

I don't do shows anymore, and I realize that is a whole different animal.  But here in the shop I no longer negotiate.  My prices at their highest are in line with market, and most books are priced significantly below that.  I post a volume discount chart, 10%, 15%, 20% off depending upon how much you spend.  Sometimes I don't make much on a given book at the higher discount level, but the hope is that you make it up on other items that the customer might be encouraged to buy to get the best discount.  Collectors and dealers get the exact same deal.  If you spend like a dealer, I see no reason you shouldn't get that level of discount.  Once buyers get used to the idea, it's been working pretty well.  It also keep consistency, for if I'm not around the staff isn't put in the position of haggling.  Of course, you have to be reasonably priced to begin with.  If you jack up prices 50% over FMV then offer discounts, few are going to be fooled.

This is a very good approach and evens the playing field.. I like it!

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

Dealers get a bad name in a generalized way on these boards...

Dealers have great stories about customers. We just can't share them the same way customers talk about dealers...because then it makes us worse dealers. lol