• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to approach a dealer about books I think might be overpriced.
6 6

248 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, robocard said:

In the end, be respectful of the time and effort that the dealers invest to bring books that you are looking for. Books that you can review in person and know what you are buying. There actually should be a premium not a discount for such service in my opinion.

This is indeed a significant service and doesn't get the credit it should.  Remember... every book you are looking at was bought and paid for in pure speculation so that you would have a selection to peruse.  If the book was an absolute guaranteed sale, you wouldn't get to see it at all because it would already have gone to a customer's pull-list.

2 hours ago, Golden Memories said:

IMG_5967.thumb.JPG.4fcbc98be20f2be231428041b670160d.JPGIMG_5963.thumb.JPG.de29ccfb2c8fe49cb74824aec37bb1f3.JPGI have been selling and buying at shows for 40 years 

Here are some tips 

If you want to Haggle with me 

Rule #1 : Be Polite , Do not use terms like "overpriced"  and be Respectful of the Items offered Do not remove books from protective coverings without asking

Rule #2  : Try to Bundle, Don't haggle on a single Hot Key.

Rule 3: Don't Examine a book, and make sour faces, and rub your fingers repeatedly over tiny tear or color fleck, You can only degrade the condition . Recently I had a buyer  pull that and he knocked off a color fleck 

Rule 4 : Do not ask to see a book unless are actually close to buying at an offer close to the asking price. Don't Handle a $500 comic

If you are going to Offer $200 

Rule 5 : Don't wave your money in my face, I've seen Money before, and I'm Not Impressed, Its a childish tactic 

Rule 6: Present a logical argument why I should knock down the price , do not use terms lake its the last day of the show whats the discount 

Rule 7 : BE Lucky  I recently sold a $1,000 book  for $750. because I had it for over a year, A year ago I would have turned down $900 

Rule 8: If you can't come to terms, POLITELY thank the dealer and walk away, you can come back later or the next day and ask if they hace re-thought your offer 

Rule 9 : SEE RULE 1: I cannot stress this enough, Be polite, do not denigrate the condition of the book or use negative language 

Finally I would like to state that Its a free market, Comics are a Non-essential commodity I can charge whatever I want , Over-Market, Under-Market  whatever . Don't get angry if my prices don't suit you I have had people tell me some of my prices are Insane (actual term they used) Meanwhile my best customers are other dealers . Remember You're idea of what something is worth may not be MY idea of what an item is worth irrespective of Overstreet, or gpa 

Good Luck and look for me In Morristown , Terrificon, Boston and Keystone 

IMG_5967.JPG

What if I can't see the price because it's so tiny and I can't see it from behind the table?

I suppose I'll stop trying to make my point about a customer being able to see the price as it saves everyone a lot of time and headache and hurt feelings. Since I obviously live in some kind of a bizarro world here's THE KIDS OF WHITNEY HIGH::

Edited by NoMan

I sell to support my addiction, but I've only set up at 3 shows, ever. I cannot handle the thought of people pawing through my books. Recognizing my limitations, I've only gone with slabs, dollar books that I don't care about, and trades. I didn't bring books that were condition sensitive, because I knew it would bother me for them to be handled.

19 hours ago, kav said:

It will cost you$50 to listen-

damn that's not to bad considering psychologist charge more probably. Now is that per session (I mean hr) lol 

18 hours ago, the blob said:

Law school is what blew me up, even in the early 90s. I got out of college owing like $10K.

Damn student loan 48K for me just for a bachelors degree, Canada is expensive. :cry:

51 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

There's a lot I could say on this topic, but there's one thing in particular I want to express...

I think it's ridiculous when a seller takes personal offense to what they perceive as a "low ball" offer.

I agree sellers shouldn't take personal offense to any offer.  But I as a buyer I tend to walk away if the asking price on books is way over my intended buy price and I tend to walk away (negotiation wise) from a buyer who offers me way under the price I feel I can get for the book.  It's a matter of wasting time.

Edited by 1Cool

5 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Sure, but that's like $1.27 in US dollars, right...?

:whistle:

lol of course. Canadians with their funny brightly colours money. :roflmao:

to speak personally if I see books I want but they seem to be overpriced like many others have mentioned I just walk past, I think a lot of us and myself including forget there are more than a few of those books out if I find something that is near what I want to pay or a decent deal that would at least pull me in and I usually end up buying more than I planned if I get a good deal on one book I know I will get a deal on others; I know I have a problem :ohnoez:lol .

Well, just make sure that you know for 100% that the books are "overpriced." Why? Because there's nothing more annoying for me at shows than when someone comes to my booth and tries to haggle on fairly priced books with the "it's overpriced" argument.

No matter what, do your best to be polite and respectful.

Good luck!

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

So a seller could have a couple of books you want that are overpriced and may have great deals on others and you walk past?

My prices are snapshots on when I graded/priced them.

I do not constantly update pricing on the books nor do I have the time to do it.

There are also books that you may feel that I'm overpriced on yet was in a deal I have long gotten my cost out of.  For a simple conversation you might find a deal on a book I have no cost into.

But as many of you seem to be posting you assume a lot.

Bob- you are in NYC or upstate? Just wondering If i have seen you at shows I go to.

1 minute ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Bob- you are in NYC or upstate? Just wondering If i have seen you at shows I go to.

I am out on Long Island.  The only NY show I do is Reed NY.  I have setup at John Paul Clifton shows in the past but only at the December show.

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

I am out on Long Island.  The only NY show I do is Reed NY.  I have setup at John Paul Clifton shows in the past but only at the December show.

Ah- I can not remember if I went to the JP show in December ( I try to go to the Clifton show every month). I am not familiar with the Reed show? I do like the Suffolk show on the Island though.