• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Bonnetts "Pedigree" Comics!
1 1

51 posts in this topic

Bonnetts book store in Dayton Ohio and their annoying stamp...  Was there a book store in the US who handled more comics than they? Seemed like just about every issue passed through their hands at one point or another. All with "that stamp". I believe there is even an Action #1 from there. I know David T Alexander made a trip up there and bought them out of old comics many years ago. He probably still has the biggest stock of them in the country. Is there a collector who doesn't have at least one or have had at least one in all of fandom? I know I have tons of them just mixed into my collection. All titles, genres and years. They are usually low grade so I often upgrade but seem to always have a bunch of them.

Is it a "pedigree"? Of course not. Is it a "collection" no not really. But is it an amazingly large group of comics that are spread to the far ends of the earth? Yes. Love 'em or hate 'em, post what you've got.

I just ran into these two today by chance. I know if I spent a few minutes looking in a few boxes, I could come up with more. Let's see 'em. Let's hear your stories about them. Anybody actually go to their store and purchase any before David T got the idea?

comblackcat48.jpg

comblackcat49.jpg

Excellent thread! Got to get Cgc to designate it. Here’s two- I know I have more. Try to buy em when I see em just for fun, but in my experience  they’re  often in pretty raggged shape. 

Bought my first (the Mysteries) at a Comic-Con in 90.  Got for like 5 bucks because of “stamp on cover”.

C0A76BCB-67B9-4DDC-A70E-503373BB89A3.jpeg

91021F3B-4AEC-4E98-BDE1-834479E3480C.jpeg

Edited by Black Bat
Felt like it

I know I have at least a few, but I can't seem to locate scans of them. I did find this one(I've shown it before) from a shop in San Francisco. He sold comics for 2 cents and bought them back for 1 cent. When I could wrangle a dollar from my parents, I could buy 50 comics! :cloud9:

I think this is the only one I still have.  Remarkable that I held on to it all these years. 

a95deb28-0b6d-4ab1-b586-b15a60b4a3f3_zps273a9262.jpg

On 7/7/2019 at 6:10 AM, Sqeggs said:

I know I have at least a few, but I can't seem to locate scans of them. I did find this one(I've shown it before) from a shop in San Francisco. He sold comics for 2 cents and bought them back for 1 cent. When I could wrangle a dollar from my parents, I could buy 50 comics! :cloud9:

I think this is the only one I still have.  Remarkable that I held on to it all these years. 

a95deb28-0b6d-4ab1-b586-b15a60b4a3f3_zps273a9262.jpg

A "models and hobbies" shop that sold second hand comics... man, I think my heart stopped for a second there. :luhv:

2 hours ago, AJD said:

A "models and hobbies" shop that sold second hand comics... man, I think my heart stopped for a second there. :luhv:

I remember buying some of the Auroa Universal Monster kits from them. My friends and I used to glue them together and then try to paint them. One day a wiser head said you were supposed to paint the pieces first and then glue them together. :idea:

12 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I remember buying some of the Auroa Universal Monster kits from them. My friends and I used to glue them together and then try to paint them. One day a wiser head said you were supposed to paint the pieces first and then glue them together. :idea:

We had an awesome hobby shop in our home town run by a German guy called Continental Hobbies. He stocked lots of European HO trains; mostly Marklin. He had a great train set that ran automatically and put our little Tyco and Athern trains to shame. The copy of Mein Kampf under a display case was always a little disturbing but still it was a great little store. These kinds of stores barely exist anymore which is a shame. I stopped by the remaining local hobby shop in Pasadena last Saturday and noted the shelves starting to look kind of bare and the owner discussing the financial problems of one of the train suppliers while I was in there. I suspect this store's time is short too.

52 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

We had an awesome hobby shop in our home town run by a German guy called Continental Hobbies. He stocked lots of European HO trains; mostly Marklin. He had a great train set that ran automatically and put our little Tyco and Athern trains to shame. The copy of Mein Kampf under a display case was always a little disturbing but still it was a great little store. These kinds of stores barely exist anymore which is a shame. I stopped by the remaining local hobby shop in Pasadena last Saturday and noted the shelves starting to look kind of bare and the owner discussing the financial problems of one of the train suppliers while I was in there. I suspect this store's time is short too.

Model trains were big when I was a kid and there seemed to be a number of stores that carried them. You don't see them much anymore other than the displays some groups set up for Christmas. My impression is that the remaining hobby stores rely heavily on selling supplies for kids school science projects. That's about the only reason I can remember going to them when my kids were of school age. Don't think I've been in one since. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Model trains were big when I was a kid and there seemed to be a number of stores that carried them. You don't see them much anymore other than the displays some groups set up for Christmas. My impression is that the remaining hobby stores rely heavily on selling supplies for kids school science projects. That's about the only reason I can remember going to them when my kids were of school age. Don't think I've been in one since. 

Yeah it's another dying business. I was looking at the displays of really detailed engines and passenger cars made of brass with price tags between $500 and $2000. Those have been on that store's shelves for decades! There is no one who is ever going to be buying those things anymore!!

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

If you're in San Diego for a con or whatnot and have a few hours to kill, check out the San Diego Model Railroad Museum at Balboa Park.  It's freakin amazing.  Geeky to the nth degree.

"At 28,000 square feet, the San Diego Model Railroad Museum is the world's largest operating model railroad museum. This unique museum contains four enormous scale and model layouts, built by separate clubs, which depict railroads of the Southwest in O, HO, and N scales. In addition, the San Diego Model Railroad Museum features a Toy Train Gallery with an interactive Lionel layout for children and state-of-the-art theater lighting."

3 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

If you're in San Diego for a con or whatnot and have a few hours to kill, check out the San Diego Model Railroad Museum at Balboa Park.  It's freakin amazing.  Geeky to the nth degree.

"At 28,000 square feet, the San Diego Model Railroad Museum is the world's largest operating model railroad museum. This unique museum contains four enormous scale and model layouts, built by separate clubs, which depict railroads of the Southwest in O, HO, and N scales. In addition, the San Diego Model Railroad Museum features a Toy Train Gallery with an interactive Lionel layout for children and state-of-the-art theater lighting."

I believe Northlandz in New Jersey makes the claim to be the world;s largest. Sounds like it's time for a geek throw down!!

I went to see it one time years ago when my kids were small. We stopped for lunch and my wife ended up tripping in the restaurant, cracking her knee and going to the hospital so I can't attest to the size!! I do remember having to carry both my kids in their car seat carriers to the plane as my wife was on crutches at the end of that trip!! I had stronger arms back then!!