• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Mystery of... "Who Stole the "T" off Thor's Belt?"

34 posts in this topic

I was going through some of my Thor's today and was cracking up at the early Thor's where he had a "T" on his belt.

Then I wondered..... how long did he have the "T" on his belt?  

ANSWER: Thor 144 is the last issue that shows a "T" on his belt in the cover art.  

Here's the image from JIM 83, with a close up, followed by the interior splash and another close up.  Notice how much work went into the belt on the interior art.... even the colorist put some red into the belt to highlight the "filigree".

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a7.jpg

a8.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

Many Thor covers did not have a Belt image (it all depended on which way Thor was facing) But for quite a while the "T" stayed there.

In issue 127 I peeked at the splash page and saw this slightly different "T". 

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

SOMEBODY stole Thor's "T" off his belt!

I think it may have been a lazy artist or a lazy inker.  Let's see... Jack Kirby drew and Vince Colletta inked.  One of those two guys stole Thor's "T".  Mystery solved.

Edited by gadzukes

So then I noticed the Thor logo in the upper left corner.

In issue 144 the "Logo Thor" has a "T" on his belt.

In issue 155 the "Logo Thor" still has the "T" on the belt.

And then..... Thor Issue #161.... The "Logo Thor" has actually lost the "T" off the belt.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

Edited by gadzukes