• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skyrocket Steele - help wanted - solved - thanks to all that helped
1 1

10 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Well its not in either Amazing Mystery Funnies Volumes 2 #3 or #9.  Those are the only ones I have. Skyrocket doesn't appear in #9.  He does appear in #3, but its not your story

It's not V1#2 or V2#5

I looked on comics.org and none of the Amazing Mystery stories they describe sound like this one.  The only one not described is Amazing Mystery Funnies V2 #6, but it is described in comicbookplus.com and the description doesn't match either.

4 minutes ago, telerites said:

I didn't go through the issues but it is a public domain title and you can see the issues on comicbookplus.com.

Here is the link to Amazing Mystery Funnies (which, according to GCD is the only title he appeared in).

https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=914

I checked the issues they had posted copies of.  Most of the AMF comics are either missing or only reprint a single story that is not the Skyrocket Steele.

It is also not the Amazing Adventure Funnies comic.  That reprints the story from v1#2.

8 minutes ago, october said:

Not 1.4, 2.2 or 2.3 either. 

I do not know if Skyrocket Steele appeared anywhere else.  Comics.org does not show any other appearance.  The reason I am asking is that I just got a box of "parts" of comics.  In there is what appears to be four pages of a Skyscraper Steele story that appear to be pages 2-5 of the story that matches the scan.  (The pages I have match the partial page 2 of bangzoom's scan.)  The four pages are connected so it looks like the 4 pages I have would be the centerfold of the comic.  It is a nicely drawn story by Bill Everett.

It also has a character named "Balin" that does not show up in comics.org searches.

I am beginning to believe that Skyrocket Smith must have appeared in some other comic besides Amazing Mystery Funnies.

I have identified all the parts except for 3 sets of pages, this being one of them.

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

My guess is AMF v2 6.  Since v2 5 ends with them leaving Venus for Earth (which is the first line in section above)

It may be as I misread the comicbookplus description.  It belonged to the DX-13 story and they did not give a synopsis of the Skyrocket Steele story.

But comics.org lists the skyrocket steele story in AMF V2#6 as the first story in the book and that doesn't make sense as the pages I have are connected and that indicates the part I have is the center of the book.  Also the page is black/re/dwhite which usually corresponds to the center pages of centaur titles.  Plus bangzoom's splash appears on the "back" side of a page which wouldn't make sense if it was from the first story, but could be if comics.org didn't document the first page.

But the story I am trying to identify would have been a 5 page story and AMF V2#6 is one of the few AMFs with a 5 page Skyrocket Steele story.  And the connection to returning from Venus does indicate it might be v2#6.

Does anyone have that issue to check?  Volume 2 of the Everett Archives ends with V2#5.

Edited by ecfanman
correction

A friend has a AMF V2#6 and he verified that the story was in that issue.

He also cleared up the reason for my confusion.  Comics.org had gotten that issue wrong.  It lists the Skyrocket Steele story as the first one in the comic.  It is actually the story in the middle of the book, which is what I had determined based on the pages I had and  the limited use of color.  They also had some of the other stories in the wrong order.

Thanks to all of those who helped.