• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why does CGC not mention rusty staples in the graders notes?
2 2

22 posts in this topic

I recently got a graded Daredevil 115 WP with the intention of cracking it for the Hulk 181 ad page. Once I did, I noticed that the bottom staple was massively rusty on the inside (looked fine on the outside) and stained the interior pages. It looked bad. However the graders notes made no mention of this. I can only imagine if I had bought a high end book how upset I would be knowing that the inside of my book was so bad.

Rusty staples can continually damage a book, so if we can’t see inside the book once it is encapsulated then why would CGC not mention it?

Bottom line, If I had known that the book had a rusty staple on the inside, I would not have bought it.

I called for graders notes on a book about ten years ago, because I wanted to know if the staple rust on an encapsulated book occurred pre or post encapsulation. The book was a 9.0. I asked specifically about the rust, and they said they would never make note of that defect on such a low graded book. Maybe their policy has now changed, or maybe the grader I was talking to was just blowing smoke.

54 minutes ago, justin said:

I recently got a graded Daredevil 115 WP with the intention of cracking it for the Hulk 181 ad page. Once I did, I noticed that the bottom staple was massively rusty on the inside (looked fine on the outside) and stained the interior pages. It looked bad. However the graders notes made no mention of this. 

This may have occurred post encapsulation due to poor storage conditions or storage in a safe.

16 minutes ago, justin said:

I recently got a graded Daredevil 115 WP with the intention of cracking it for the Hulk 181 ad page. Once I did, I noticed that the bottom staple was massively rusty on the inside (looked fine on the outside) and stained the interior pages. It looked bad. However the graders notes made no mention of this. I can only imagine if I had bought a high end book how upset I would be knowing that the inside of my book was so bad.

Rusty staples can continually damage a book, so if we can’t see inside the book once it is encapsulated then why would CGC not mention it?

Bottom line, If I had known that the book had a rusty staple on the inside, I would not have bought it.

I think it should always be noted, as it is a degenerative flaw. Moreso in your case, where the evidence is effectively hidden. 

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

This may have occurred post encapsulation due to poor storage conditions or storage in a safe.

Quite true. They're not safe, safes. 

CGC: rust absolutely has to be shouted from the rooftops.  It is many collector's #1 worst defect.  Pls change your policy if indeed that is the case.

9.0 is a low graded book???  Are they saying they only notate rust in like a 9.8, which no rusty book would get a 9.8 eg they never notate rust???  I'm confused.

2 hours ago, kav said:

CGC: rust absolutely has to be shouted from the rooftops.  It is many collector's #1 worst defect.  Pls change your policy if indeed that is the case.

9.0 is a low graded book???  Are they saying they only notate rust in like a 9.8, which no rusty book would get a 9.8 eg they never notate rust???  I'm confused.

I have no idea what logic CGC uses, but yes, they called a 9.0 "too low graded for rust to be noted."  It might have been a policy at that point in time, or the grader may have been blowing smoke. It was not a call that made me confident in the product.

50 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I have no idea what logic CGC uses, but yes, they called a 9.0 "too low graded for rust to be noted."  It might have been a policy at that point in time, or the grader may have been blowing smoke. It was not a call that made me confident in the product.

I hope some CGC rep stops by to comment.

It was mentioned on my recent submission. 

Comic Description:
Marvel Tales 50 4/74 Marvel Comics

Grader Notes:
very light spine stress lines breaks color
very light staple rusted top of spine

I think yours would have been categorized as major rust or at least they they wouldn't use "light" to describe the rust. The frustrating thing is that just because they put out notes at all doesn't mean they're listing all the defects. I agree with you that the kind of rust you found in your book should never go unmentioned in the grader notes. They know very well it's a degenerative defect so it seems like negligence to me.

I don't know how rust could happen just on the inside of one staple post encapsulation? If its due to poor storage then it would be on the outside of both staples.

6 hours ago, justin said:

Because grading notes are not comprehensive.

What was the grade of the book you bought and when was it graded?

I know grading notes are not comprehensive, but they should at LEAST mention major things that cannot be seen without cracking the slab open. 

Also, I don’t think the rust has anything to do with it happening after encapsulation. It was graded a 4.5 about a month ago. It seems CGC just decided not to mention the rust.

5 minutes ago, justin said:

I know grading notes are not comprehensive, but they should at LEAST mention major things that cannot be seen without cracking the slab open. 

This should be the main function of grader's notes as long as they are being sold at least.

58 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
7 hours ago, justin said:

Because grading notes are not comprehensive.

What was the grade of the book you bought and when was it graded?

picture of the graded book would also be nice

1 hour ago, justin said:

Also, I don’t think the rust has anything to do with it happening after encapsulation. It was graded a 4.5 about a month ago. It seems CGC just decided not to mention the rust.

I think you just answered your own question - 4.5

33 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I think you just answered your own question - 4.5

you should read doctor's notes after surgery.  They notate every single little tiny detail-

1 hour ago, kav said:

you should read doctor's notes after surgery.  They notate every single little tiny detail-

I've got one sitting right here - he says they don't write anything down, because of the lawyers.

4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I've got one sitting right here - he says they don't write anything down, because of the lawyers.

wow thats incredible.  In the old days they wrote, baby.  I have the medical records for several of my surgeries-very comprehensive!