• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hot Potato books
2 2

41 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

There’s a lot of knowledgeable people here. I’m just trying to become The World’s Greatest Comic Book Collector. 

the key to becoming the greatest  is "Wax ON, Wax Off" now practice for  8 hours a day all day everyday... lol 

3 hours ago, Jeffro™ said:

First Trailer for Potato, The Bakening 

Don't click if you don't want spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

This is what my mind sounds like as I walk into an old school comic con with a pocket full of cash....

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

This is what my mind sounds like as I walk into an old school comic con with a pocket full of cash....

Too hilariously bad. On par, talent-wise, with the operatic genius of Florence Foster Jenkins.

8 hours ago, NoMan said:

Stan Ridgway. Wall of Voodoo. “Mexican Radio.”

My question remains unanswered. 

I went to high school with Stan and Bill Nowland of Wall of Voodoo. Played in garage bands with them as well. Stan introduced me to jazz. Funny thing. His name then was Stan Funsten and he lived on Ridgeway Drive. Always was a very talented guy. I even dated Bill’s sister for a while. She was a cutie...:x

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I went to high school with Stan and Bill Nowland of Wall of Voodoo. Played in garage bands with them as well. Stan introduced me to jazz. Funny thing. His name then was Stan Funsten and he lived on Ridgeway Drive. Always was a very talented guy. I even dated Bill’s sister for a while. She was a cutie...:x

Cool. I wanna hear some Stan Ridgway stories!

I'm talking about Stan Funsten, not Stanard Ridgeway.

Was a long time ago but I can remember a couple...

There were a lot of garage bands in the area. We would play back yard parties and high school dances in gymns. Whenever some band needed an extra member or some equipment, we would all help each other out. One night Stan was doing vocals for the Van Halens. Yes, those Van Halens... They were just high school rock gods like us back then. He needed an amp so I lent him my Fender Super Reverb. He brought it back the next day with a couple of blown speakers. It seems they ran a Farfesia organ through it and blew them. He of course "fixed" it with a couple of cheap speakers. Never did sound the same again. He was a hard guy to stay mad at.

As you might guess by his later work, Stan was a bit sarcastic and a bit of a rebel. Our school had abolished the dress code in my junior year. Long hair, facial hair, ripped jeans (within the laws of "decency") were pretty much OK. Our principal hated rock 'n roll music though. She was forced to put up with some of it due to student pressure at dances. She, however forbade the wearing of "offensive" T Shirts. She especially hated the ones that pictured things like skulls with knives or swords through them.

It pizzed us off. Stan came up with an idea. A bunch of us met at a guy's house each with a white T Shirt. Stan made a stencil with the words "Question Authority" and we all made one. Next day, we all strode into the lunch court and were promptly suspended because we wouldn't change. We were all sent home. Did we go home? No, went went over to a guy's house where his parents wern't home. We went down in the basement and smoked a few funny cigs while listening to some jazz. Well, the kid's mom came home and caught us and told us to go home and tell our parents what happened. When I got home I told my parents (leaving out the basement situation). My mom was pretty cool but my dad blew a fuse and I got grounded.

Stan was a real charmer when he wanted to be. He was "dating" a girl who's dad was in the music biz. He convinced the dad to get Steppinwolf to play in our high school gymn. He was one of a kind.

Good times!

IMG_5934.jpg

56 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

There were a lot of garage bands in the area. We would play back yard parties and high school dances in gymns. Whenever some band needed an extra member or some equipment, we would all help each other out. One night Stan was doing vocals for the Van Halens. Yes, those Van Halens... They were just high school rock gods like us back then. He needed an amp so I lent him my Fender Super Reverb. He brought it back the next day with a couple of blown speakers. It seems they ran a Farfesia organ through it and blew them. He of course "fixed" it with a couple of cheap speakers. Never did sound the same again. He was a hard guy to stay mad at.

As you might guess by his later work, Stan was a bit sarcastic and a bit of a rebel. Our school had abolished the dress code in my junior year. Long hair, facial hair, ripped jeans (within the laws of "decency") were pretty much OK. Our principal hated rock 'n roll music though. She was forced to put up with some of it due to student pressure at dances. She, however forbade the wearing of "offensive" T Shirts. She especially hated the ones that pictured things like skulls with knives or swords through them.

It pizzed us off. Stan came up with an idea. A bunch of us met at a guy's house each with a white T Shirt. Stan made a stencil with the words "Question Authority" and we all made one. Next day, we all strode into the lunch court and were promptly suspended because we wouldn't change. We were all sent home. Did we go home? No, went went over to a guy's house where his parents wern't home. We went down in the basement and smoked a few funny cigs while listening to some jazz. Well, the kid's mom came home and caught us and told us to go home and tell our parents what happened. When I got home I told my parents (leaving out the basement situation). My mom was pretty cool but my dad blew a fuse and I got grounded.

Stan was a real charmer when he wanted to be. He was "dating" a girl who's dad was in the music biz. He convinced the dad to get Steppinwolf to play in our high school gymn. He was one of a kind.

Good times!

IMG_5934.jpg

Thanks! He told the Van Halen story at a concert about 2 years ago. Thought he was from Barstow. Said his dad hit his mom, hence the lyric in the WOV song Factory. 

Edited by NoMan

I remember that guy that bought the famous first editions wonder woman #1 for big bucks and was trying to unload the hot potato here to cover his investment-that was a real hot potato.  No matter how we tried to explain the size difference he refused to believe his book was not legit!!  He tried like mad to unload!!!!

On 6/25/2019 at 4:43 PM, Robot Man said:

Good times!

IMG_5934.jpg

The B-52's were formed in 1976 when vocalist Cindy Wilson, her older brother and guitarist Ricky, keyboardist and vocalist Kate Pierson, original drummer and percussionist Keith Strickland and cowbell player, poet and lead vocalist Fred Schneider held an impromptu jam session after sharing a flaming volcano drink at a Chinese restaurant in Athens, Georgia.

On 6/25/2019 at 2:23 PM, NoMan said:

Whoa, @NoMan just dropped The Shaggs on the board. Outsider art cool guy credentials confirmed!

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Whoa, @NoMan just dropped The Shaggs on the board. Outsider art cool guy credentials confirmed!

It took awhile for me to figure out if The Boards were worthy. I mean I coulda just posted some BS jam band or some such SH**.

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

It took awhile for me to figure out if The Boards were worthy. I mean I coulda just posted some BS jam band or some such SH**.

Careful, pretty sure @Buzzetta is a big Phish fan...but we don't hold that against him. :baiting:

8 hours ago, NoMan said:

You rang?   - btw... went to see Dead and Company last Sunday at Citi Field... Effing' Tremendous... 

Pulled last minute decision and found a ticket on Ticketmaster verified for $45 + fees... sat in Section 319 behind home plate, Row 1 and an aisle seat with club access.  

Great show... now to decide if I want to make the trip up to Mohegan Sun in two weeks... or Couch Tour it. 

GF is a trooper and has three shows (2 NYE shows) under her belt but has officially tapped out lol... something about four hours of the same song each time she goes. 

Me?  I likey. 

Edited by Buzzetta

^Flashed me back to the 70s/80s listening to e.g. Deadheads or hardcore Zappa fans exchanging notes among other things.  Back then they swapped cassettes and occasional vinyl bootleg recordings.

Edited by grebal

11 minutes ago, grebal said:

^Flashed me back to the 70s/80s listening to e.g. Deadheads or hardcore Zappa fans exchanging notes among other things.  Back then they swapped cassettes and occasional vinyl bootleg recordings.

Maples Pavilion? Red Rocks? Buffalo Speedway?

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

Let's see... 

Hoo boy...

• I could plan my summer if they would just announce dates... (yeeeeeahhh)
  • What's your call for the opener? (check)
  • You're not gonna hear that tonight.  They played that the other night at "X" (Sorry to the rest of you that see bands that play the same things every stop lol  but yeah... check)
  • Have a good show man! (umm yeah)
  • Can't believe they are skipping ... (I say this every time they don't announce Jones Beach. They haven't played the beach since 2013.
  • Where's the hold on my credit card?  (Said by every lottery participant)
  • I hate the lottery... yup lol 
  • They never start on time (This is true about everyone... even Tony Bennett)
  • My mom has a hold on her card. ( lollollol Yup - when participating in the lottery even a member here has tried to help me get tickets... including my mom) 
  • Are we still listening to Bowie?  (Is this still Lawn Boy?  - some of you will get that) 
  • Uhhh where are ya?  - Isn't this what everyone goes through?  I'm hosting a Buffett tailgate and half a Zac Brown Band tailgate... I go through this a lot. 
  • I booked a room in "X" just in case... (guilty)
  • Wilson! (I mean who hasn't?)
Edited by Buzzetta