• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I have a question about pressing an issue of Vengeance of Bane.

I have an issue of Vengeance of Bane that has a perfect crease about a 1/2 inch from the spine. It's their from the spine being thick and squared off. Can pressing it fix the crease? If I don't, press it will it effect the grade?

Thanks for the input. 

Dan Twaddle 

If I am looking at the same location you are referencing, it looks like the crease breaks color. If so, my opinion is pressing won't help.  I'm looking at something to the right of the DC label. Is that what you are referencing ? 

12 hours ago, justafan said:

LOL, Joey, will your pressing service remove the cat hair.  Is that a dry cleaning service you offer prior to pressing?

That’s too funny. Actually, I am deathly allergic to cat hair. Can always tell when I get in books from a cat lover...I have to wear a mask to work on the books. 

The difference between a 9.6 and 9.8 is going to be a few very small defects.  Very difficult to tell from pictures. I can't really see anything in the way of defects on your copy pictured here.  There are no grading notes for this issue, so no help there. So it's going to take an in hand assessment of the book by someone familiar with both pressing and CGC grading to make an educated guess as to good or bad CPR (Crack, Press, Resubmit) 

It looks like the book takes a healthy jump in price from 9.6 to 9.8. About $160. So potentially it is worth it.  If you want to pursue this, your best bet - since you have no experience with pressing - is to send it in to CCS (the in-house pressing service of CGC) and pay for their prescreening the book.  That way someone with experience at CCS will look over the book and make a decision on if pressing has a good chance of improving the grade. If they say yes, you pay the costs of prescreen, pressing, regrading and shipping back to you (least expensive options about $57), cross your fingers and wait about five months. Passing the prescreen is no guarantee of the book upgrading, you could wait five plus months and be out $60 and not get a grade improvement. But you've increased your chances. 

If CCS says "no" to the prescreen they ship the book back to you. You're out about $25. 

Edited by Tony S

On 6/26/2019 at 8:50 PM, joeypost said:

That’s too funny. Actually, I am deathly allergic to cat hair. Can always tell when I get in books from a cat lover...I have to wear a mask to work on the books. 

That's kinda sad. I love my kitties. Not sure what I would do if I became allergic.  Look into allergy shots probably. 

Along those lines, pressing comic books also tells us if comic books / magazines have been in smoking environments. And I've ran across a few books that smelled like they were stored in a French Bordello. :D

17 hours ago, Tony S said:

If CCS says "no" to the prescreen they ship the book back to you. You're out about $25. 

Thanks @Tony S. Do they break it out of the slab for a prescreen? i.e. If they say pressing will or will not help, will I have to get it re-graded/slabed?

Edited by Xenosmilus

18 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Thanks @Tony S. Do they break it out of the slab for a prescreen? i.e. If they say pressing will or will not help, will I have to get it re-graded/slabed?

Good question.
No, the evaluation of the book is done with it in the slab.  If it doesn't pass prescreen, they ship the book back to you still sealed and encapsulated.