• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hake's Next Event Auction has started posting books
2 2

37 posts in this topic

..Just a piggy back off of @Gotham Kid Threads for the Big 3.

This one is becoming a Player in the comic book market, so i think we should start including them in our discussions (but your participation -or not :tonofbricks: will decide that :D

.. I and many others here have always bought from this House, but (in my case anyway) probably mostly other Pop Culture artifacts (other than comic books) which they specialize in (Disneyana, Music, Movie Posters, Political, etc). 

A lot of what they sell comes from the golden age era whether it be comics or not, but of note in the golden age comic stuff is a copy of the much sought after Captain Marvel Adventures #128 a book which spawned a very heavy discussion based Thread

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/230937/CAPTAIN-MARVEL-ADVENTURES-128-JANUARY-1952-CGC-60-FINE-CROWLEY-PEDIGREE

Also a rare Adventures of Captain Marvel movie serial  poster 

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/232406/ADVENTURES-OF-CAPTAIN-MARVEL-LINEN-MOUNTED-1941-REPUBLIC-MOVIE-SERIAL-SIX-SHEET-POSTER

The Original Art splash from X-Men #95 Death of Thunderbird issue

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/232457/X-MEN-VOL-1-95-TITLE-SPLASH-PAGE-ORIGINAL-ART-BY-DAVE-COCKRUM

Also many VERY EXPENSIVE 1970'S STAR WARS FIGURES :whatthe:

The books they offer up for auction aren't all that noteworthy. There are maybe a handful of books in the last 2-3 years worth mentioning imo.

Edited by Gotham Kid

11 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

The books they offer up for auction aren't all that noteworthy. There are maybe a handful of books in the last 2-3 years worth mentioning imo.

Maybe not this go round, but this closed past auction had some noteworthy books.

Even so , I think worth some conversation for a few of the books they have up now, plus the other top shelf pop culture rarities in it.

20190625_133302.jpg

I am obviously a fan of the premiums in the Hakes auctions maybe more than the comics. More than anyone else, over the years, he comes up with the rarest of the rare in this category. Comics are everywhere but trying to find rare premiums is the ultimate challenge. I will have to log in and see what he’s got to offer this time. 

20 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

I think the All-American 21 is probably my favorite GA Green Lantern cover.

9 hours ago, Howling Mad said:

Funny, I was about to say how it's (personally) one of the worst GA GL covers. It's just terrible artwork. Maybe so bad it's good?

It wouldn't be my favorite GL cover but as with any visual medium, each has their likes and dislikes.  Heck, I thought the Affleck DD movie was watchable, not good but watchable - I know the only one right...

What I don't get about the AA 21 cover is why GL would be using his fists, I mean he's got a power ring - be more creative to make a hippo to drop on and squash the perp.

On 6/25/2019 at 1:53 AM, Gotham Kid said:

This auction seems really thin on prime GA books. 

On 6/25/2019 at 1:36 PM, sagii said:

Maybe not this go round, but this closed past auction had some noteworthy books.

Even so , I think worth some conversation for a few of the books they have up now, plus the other top shelf pop culture rarities in it.

20190625_133302.jpg

Bringing that GA collection to market was a big coup for them. I wish that they had given us more of the backstory on it. Or maybe I missed it.

Judging from the slim pickings in this auction, that find doesn't seem to have attracted significant new consignments.

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

On 6/25/2019 at 5:38 PM, Straw-Man said:

i've found about a 1/2 dozen books to go after hard the last several years.

I've probably won 10 to 15 books in their auctions. None was really a bargain, so their auctions do draw bids.

I've won other junk -- some comic related, some political -- from them.

Their closings are weird. Last time, it looked like I was ahead when the auction for a political poster closed, or, at any rate, when I thought it had closed.  But when the smoke had cleared, I had lost.

Edited by Sqeggs
Clarification

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I've probably won 10 to 15 books in their auctions. None was really a bargain, so their auctions do draw bids.

Their closings are weird. Last time, it looked like I was ahead when the auction for a political poster closed, or, at any rate, when I thought it had closed.  But when the smoke had cleared, I had lost.

Yeah, I tend to check in every 10 mins on closing day for something I really want to win after bidding, as the outbid emails tend to be laggy for me.

A pain,  but well worth it for some of the rare collectible I've acquired from them.

1 minute ago, sagii said:
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, I tend to check in every 10 mins on closing day for something I really want to win after bidding, as the outbid emails tend to be laggy for me.

A pain,  but well worth it for some of the rare collectible I've acquired from them.

What was weird about the auction I was describing was that it seemed to have closed and I was the high bidder. I was even e-mailing with somebody about the auction and said "Hey, look at this cool thing I won." Only it turns out I didn't win it. Some sort of glitch in their system I guess. I don't believe I ever received an e-mail indicating I was outbid.

My typical strategy with Hakes is to put in my top bid and let it ride.  I have actually won several things using that strategy but never a comic or original art.  Main thing I have won have been model kits.  I actually think I have gotten some decent deals on stuff.  This round I am chasing some other things so I will have to see how they progress to see if I stick with my previous strategy.

i find their site unusably bad. is it just me? every time i click on an item, when i want to go back to the previous page it takes me all the way to the top of the page. if i was near the bottom i have to spend minutes scrolling again just to get back to where i was. looks like a website that was designed about 15 years ago. shame because they do have some nice stuff here and there.