• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

House of Secrets 92 Resubmit?
1 1

40 posts in this topic

Don't mind me I am just grumpy...

I am not sure if CCS is or should be involved in guaranteeing a grade bump if you buy the service.  It seems like a slippery slope...

In the case of this particular book it is already a 9.4 which is pretty darn good and the difference between a 9.6 may just be the day of the week it is.  What if the grading is stricter now and it gets a 9.2??  I am not sure they would actually do that but then again you are risking mailing it and having the book handled etc.

In the end it is your book and your money so do what makes you happy and don't worry about what others think.  Good luck!

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Personally, I'd keep this comic just the way it is. However, this book does appear to be a worthy candidate for an upgrade... :wishluck:

I agree that there are benefits to leaving it in the original slab. I would only upgrade if I had plans on selling. I do think it is upgradable.

3 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Don't mind me I am just grumpy...

I am not sure if CCS is or should be involved in guaranteeing a grade bump if you buy the service.  It seems like a slippery slope...

In the case of this particular book it is already a 9.4 which is pretty darn good and the difference between a 9.6 may just be the day of the week it is.  What if the grading is stricter now and it gets a 9.2??  I am not sure they would actually do that but then again you are risking mailing it and having the book handled etc.

In the end it is your book and your money so do what makes you happy and don't worry about what others think.  Good luck!

Hey Karl, I agree with you. You are also correct that there is no guarantee for an upgrade. 

Yeah, I'm in agreement to leave slabs alone, but this one looks like it will be an exception (for me). In fact, it would be the first book I've sent back to CGC for any reason.  I'm likely selling it, I always thought it was undergraded, and the value difference between a 9.4 and 9.6 is significant.  Also, the odds of a 9.2 are low, unless both I and the graders missed something the first time around. If it does, I can live with it.

1 hour ago, Werner_Von_Doom said:

Yeah, I'm in agreement to leave slabs alone, but this one looks like it will be an exception (for me). In fact, it would be the first book I've sent back to CGC for any reason.  I'm likely selling it, I always thought it was undergraded, and the value difference between a 9.4 and 9.6 is significant.  Also, the odds of a 9.2 are low, unless both I and the graders missed something the first time around. If it does, I can live with it.

What if they missed some resto? We’ve all seen that happen, as rare as it should be.  All things considered, the book will most likely be CPR’d at some point in the future, so it might as well be you. It has a very good chance at getting the grade bump. 

18 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

I think you have a great shot at a 9.4! 

Come on Karl??? 

I think grader notes are critical here.....only seeing scans. Other factors include flatness and gloss, dirt, interior etc. That said....pressing and cleaning might push it up!! Risk to reward is totally on your side. Go Collect 9.4 is 6500. 9.6 is 21,000.....OK YOU GOT MY ATTENTION......9.8 IS 58,000.....ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???  I say the gamble is worth it. Press it, Clean it and Grade it.....AFTER YOU CHECK THE GRADER NOTES!!

3 hours ago, joeypost said:

What if they missed some resto? We’ve all seen that happen, as rare as it should be.  All things considered, the book will most likely be CPR’d at some point in the future, so it might as well be you. It has a very good chance at getting the grade bump. 

Yeah, I thought of that.  I think I can accept that rare outome.  Hopefully, I won't have to find out. :wishluck:

3 minutes ago, DirkBill said:

Come on Karl??? 

I think grader notes are critical here.....only seeing scans. Other factors include flatness and gloss, dirt, interior etc. That said....pressing and cleaning might push it up!! Risk to reward is totally on your side. Go Collect 9.4 is 6500. 9.6 is 21,000.....OK YOU GOT MY ATTENTION......9.8 IS 58,000.....ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???  I say the gamble is worth it. Press it, Clean it and Grade it.....AFTER YOU CHECK THE GRADER NOTES!!

hehehe  I SAID I WAS GRUMPY!!  What about this turd?  Should I send it back in too?  Sadly it already has been pressed... TIME TO DOUBLE PRESS!!!!!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_762.jpg.0b1892102cb52619237d6125200d313f.jpg

11 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

hehehe  I SAID I WAS GRUMPY!!  What about this turd?  Should I send it back in too?  Sadly it already has been pressed... TIME TO DOUBLE PRESS!!!!!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_762.jpg.0b1892102cb52619237d6125200d313f.jpg

Karl gets a pass o his grumpiness. Least I could do for another FF collector.

I think you should sell it to me. 

Notes first. If the book could benefit...

Then clean, press, and resub for the win. 

I know people love those old slabs, but they are crapola compared to the new ones. Do it. 

14 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Congrats! And WHITE pages too!

I am guessing the cleaning helped to get the white pages?

58 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

At least one of the primary graders back in the olden days was very strict on page quality...nice to see the book achieved the upgrade it deserved...  (thumbsu

Yeah, I think that's it. Although the cleaning definitely didn't hurt.