• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rusty Staples

8 posts in this topic

I had a modern come back that I thought was a 9.8 but ended up a 9.2.  I couldn't figure out why and finally checked the graders notes. "Rust on bottom staple"  It was a tiny spot but it was there.  :p

Edited by HighRadArt

So there is a separate scale of staple grading within grading?  Meaning totally spotted vs one spot vs whole staple vs two spotted?  Or is there a quick deduction rule when deciding a purchase????

Edited by Grilledchease

50 minutes ago, Grilledchease said:

So there is a separate scale of staple grading within grading?  Meaning totally spotted vs one spot vs whole staple vs two spotted?  Or is there a quick deduction rule when deciding a purchase????

I would assume a spot of rust on a modern book would be hit harder than a spot of rust on a Golden or Silver Age book. But still, I remember a TOS #39 that was a rock solid 9.4 that was downgraded to a 9.2 because the bottom staple had some rust on it. 

I generally expect to see some sort of degradation to the staples of books that are 50+ years old. In my mind, a bit of light surface rust isn't a big deal. But when the staples look like they were dragged through the Gulf of Mexico on an anchor, you've got a problem...

Edited by The Lions Den

Hey you guys are great!  Thank for the help.  I'm always weary of staple rust and will usually pass on the book.  But on gold books I've taken the plunge recently.  Guess it's not as much of a deal breaker than I had thought.  I see spots on bronze age books quite often around Socal and have to think twice.  Probably a beach book. :jaws:

IMG_20190605_201112_711.jpg