• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biggest price increase with common book
2 2

42 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

One of my favourite BA Kirby titles.  Quite dark in places. 

I haven't read #1 or #2, but 3 had a complete story imo.

Celestial are coming, shows off the powers of main hero, explains the ruins or temple or whatever, and seeking out sersi for help, and don't forget the love story throughout (thumbsu

13 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Hulk 271 was a cheap book in high grade, $1 to $3 bargain bin material until GOTG, and then escalated to $200+ even in raw. 

Thing is I doubt it was broken out in guide until recently. It really was a nothing book. Arguably not even the 1st app. Eternals 1 and some others, people knew they were firsts and guide even claimed they were worth a few bucks, but there was no market. Moon knight 1 and rom 1 also had long dead stretches in $1-2 boxes.

14 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

One of my favourite Bronze Age Kirby titles.  Quite dark in places. 

100% agreed! There was a time, either late 90's or early 00's, I was buying all of the 70's Kirby books I could, because you could get nice copies for a buck each, and they were terrifically odd and colorful books. Eternals, Devil Dinosaur, Machine Man, 2001, I loved all of that stuff. Completely bonkers and full of imagination and inspiration, and at the time, cheap and common as dirt.

On 6/25/2019 at 7:29 AM, Aweandlorder said:

What was the biggest price increase any one common book experienced in recent times?

Demon #1!!! (when they announce the Demon movie)

On 6/25/2019 at 2:43 PM, 1Cool said:

I don't remember a time when MSH 12was a really cheap book.  I don't remember 13 being cheap either just because it don't seem to pop up very often. 

Eternal #1s were everywhere before the movie hype.  I had to have bought 10 copies for $5 a piece to just have them explode to $50 - $60 a piece over night.  Now if I can just get as lucky with my 30 Micronauts #1s :flipbait:

In 2012-13, I was buying MSH #13s for $20-30. I got a copy that was in VF range for $15 and sold it a couple months later for $100. Wish I would've held onto it.

13 hours ago, F For Fake said:

100% agreed! There was a time, either late 90's or early 00's, I was buying all of the 70's Kirby books I could, because you could get nice copies for a buck each, and they were terrifically odd and colorful books. Eternals, Devil Dinosaur, Machine Man, 2001, I loved all of that stuff. Completely bonkers and full of imagination and inspiration, and at the time, cheap and common as dirt.

Until I read the entire, if short, Bronze Age run of Devil Dinosaur in digital format, I’d never realised how brilliantly insane it is.  Back in the day I only read the first two issues.

Sometimes, highbrow and sophisticated isn’t necessary.

4 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Until I read the entire, if short, Bronze Age run of Devil Dinosaur in digital format, I’d never realised how brilliantly insane it is.  Back in the day I only read the first two issues.

The wild goofiness of Kirby is addictive.

23 minutes ago, kav said:

Only Kirby would have some mysterious 'monster' turn out to be a freaking GIANT GRASSHOPPER! (Kamandi)

Strangely enough, the first American comic by Kirby I ever read.

Hard not to be impressed.

Edited by Ken Aldred

15 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Strangely enough, the first American comic by Kirby I ever read

Hard not to be impressed.

Demon is my favorite, then Kamandi, Eternals, Black Panther. New Gods, Forever ppl, Mr Miracle.

6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

It's so great! As a kid, Devil Dinosaur was totally a joke. When I got older and truly began to dig into Kirby, I realized what I'd deprived myself. Pure, untethered insanity. 

Still planning on getting this as a tattoo some day.

26101888._SX540_.jpg

On 6/25/2019 at 7:57 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Hulk 271 was a cheap book in high grade, $1 to $3 bargain bin material until GOTG, and then escalated to $200+ even in raw. 

Yep. I bought a VF copy for 3.99 before Avengers came out. The MCU was about to explode, but I managed to get that book before GOTG was really being talked about. That usually doesn't happen to me unless some new comic I buy at cover price gets hot.

14 hours ago, kav said:

Demon #1!!! (when they announce the Demon movie)

All the kirby books are great examples, but they really didnt increase much in price, mostly sold volume increased

I see some 9.4 selling as high as $365 in 2014, which is where they are about now as well.

For some reason I do not see a ton of Demon 1s floating around.  Not rare by any means but I don't see it like I saw Eternals 1 before the spike.

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

For some reason I do not see a ton of Demon 1s floating around.  Not rare by any means but I don't see it like I saw Eternals 1 before the spike.

It definitely is not as liquid as Eternals, which is also why it wouldnt make the cut in this thread

4 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

It definitely is not as liquid as Eternals, which is also why it wouldnt make the cut in this thread

Buy em up now folks.  A Demon movie is inevitable.