• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biggest price increase with common book
2 2

42 posts in this topic

What was the biggest price increase any one common book experienced in recent times?

In order to apply, said book has to be common and readily available (i.e. Not low print or ratio variant), and gain value all across the board in all grades (not just 9.8) and consistently sold at elevated prices. 

Highest spike and volume of books sold determine the winner 

I nominate Special Marvel Edition #15

for years low grade copies sold for anywhere between 10-30$ Where they are now selling btw 80-150

9.0 were 100-150 and are now 600+ 

9.8 were 500-1000 where they are now 3500-4000

SME 15 is a good choice. Eternals 1 & 3 as well but are not as strong as SME15.

It is too early on GSD3 but that one has had a dramatic upswing as well.

Maybe Bloodshot 1 will have this happen when the movie comes out !!!

^ I was just about to suggest Eternals!

I feel Ms. Marvel was a regular $5-10 book in high grade for a long time and is now consistently $80-100 raw for oa nice copy. Again not as much as SME 15.

I am curious about books like Marvel Superheroes 12 or 13...were they ever hot books? Or were they always a bit more due to age and the movies just multiplied that? Could they be had for $15-20 15-20 years ago?

Eternals 1 has to be the winner.  I kept seeing it in $5 and even $1 boxes for years.  Now those same books are going for $75 - $90.  I was going to say She-Hulk 1 just because I use to see them all over the place in $2 boxes but I don't think that book has seen the jump like Eternals 1.  Eternals 3 is coming up fast but I still give #1 the edge.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Eternals 1 has to be the winner.  I kept seeing it in $5 and even $1 boxes for years.  Now those same books are going for $75 - $90.  I was going to say She-Hulk 1 just because I use to see them all over the place in $2 boxes but I don't think that book has seen the jump like Eternals 1.  Eternals 3 is coming up fast but I still give #1 the edge.

Eternals def saw an increase but not all across the grade spectrum. Mid/high grades were 30-50 where they are now 80-150.

Extreme high and lows is where it really took off; 9.8 certainly went up from 100 to 1000 and low grade went from dollar bin to 20-30

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

I feel Ms. Marvel was a regular $5-10 book in high grade for a long time and is now consistently $80-100 raw for oa nice copy. Again not as much as SME 15.

I am curious about books like Marvel Superheroes 12 or 13...were they ever hot books? Or were they always a bit more due to age and the movies just multiplied that? Could they be had for $15-20 15-20 years ago?

Ms Marvel 1 took off in low-mid grade. But was still relatively high in high grade/9.8 but certainly didn't sell in the same volume as it did post announcement/movie

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:
3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Eternals def saw an increase but not all across the grade spectrum. Mid/high grades were 30-50 where they are now 80-150.

Extreme high and lows is where it really took off; 9.8 certainly went up from 100 to 1000 and low grade went from dollar bin to 20-30

What's going on in #3 that would skip Eternals #2 (first full Celestials)?

31 minutes ago, valiantman said:

What's going on in #3 that would skip Eternals #2 (first full Celestials)?

#2 seems to have fallen out of favor with #3 taking over the reigns.  I do see a bunch of people looking for quite a few of the later issues for various 1st appearances but #1 and #3 are the key books in that series right now.

4 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

I don't remember a time when MSH 12was a really cheap book.  I don't remember 13 being cheap either just because it don't seem to pop up very often. 

Eternal #1s were everywhere before the movie hype.  I had to have bought 10 copies for $5 a piece to just have them explode to $50 - $60 a piece over night.  Now if I can just get as lucky with my 30 Micronauts #1s :flipbait:

4 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

MSH 12 & 13 were always fairly hot books, especially 13.  That book was always in demand.  

4 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

What was the biggest price increase any one common book experienced in recent times?

In order to apply, said book has to be common and readily available (i.e. Not low print or ratio variant), and gain value all across the board in all grades (not just 9.8) and consistently sold at elevated prices. 

Highest spike and volume of books sold determine the winner 

I nominate Special Marvel Edition #15

for years low grade copies sold for anywhere between 10-30$ Where they are now selling btw 80-150

9.0 were 100-150 and are now 600+  

9.8 were 500-1000 where they are now 3500-4000

I bought at least 10 9.0-9.2 copies from joe Koch for $9.99 a pop circa 2004 the book was so dead. He rarely got more than the starting bid. He had a ton of them. I gave up on trying to sell them about 6-7 years ago. Could not get $24.99 starting bids despite being around $100 in guide.

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Eternals 1. Fished nice copies out of dollar boxes for years. In quantity.

I think you guys have nailed the top spots, but I'll throw out a couple honorable mention thoughts: Nova 1 and, with a quick up and down, Firestorm 1.

of all those Eternals spec plays, I think I like 3 best, as Sersi was an Avenger for a long time. I can see a cosmic MCU Avengers line-up with her, Capt Marvel and the Scarlet Witch in the mix. Seems to make sense with the Black Knight rumors too. I'd have to go back and re-read but I think Sersi and Dane Whitman had some romantic chemistry.

3 hours ago, the blob said:

I bought at least 10 9.0-9.2 copies from joe Koch for $9.99 a pop circa 2004 the book was so dead. He rarely got more than the starting bid. He had a ton of them. I gave up on trying to sell them about 6-7 years ago. Could not get $24.99 starting bids despite being around $100 in guide.

Yup. I held till movie announcement. I always thought this could be a $150 book one day (in VFNM). When they announced he would appear on Netflix Iron Fist I listed my tiest copy for 100 and had no takers. FF a year later and here we are. 

I did sell all my inventory now with exception of one last copy tho and regret I haven't invested in NM+ copies

i have an eternals 3 1st sersi that i found in the dollar bin at a used bookstore....

but it's only a fair/good condition....

i need to post it in spare a grade and decide if i could get $20 for it haha

i read it! not a bad story

12 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

read it! not a bad story

One of my favourite Bronze Age Kirby titles.  Quite dark in places. 

Edited by Ken Aldred