• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BlastOff Comics shop closing in Los Angeles ??
1 1

12 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

come on, somebodies gotta know the 411.

Jud has been moving up in the corporate world and is too busy to run the store. The owners decided they'd rather retire the store at a high point that run it half-baked.

They always had top notch staff as well.

It was a great store and they'll be missed but Jud was always destined for bigger things.

27 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Jud has been moving up in the corporate world and is too busy to run the store. The owners decided they'd rather retire the store at a high point that run it half-baked.

It was a great store and they'll be missed but Jud was always destined for bigger things.

I would say this makes complete sense based on the posts on their website.  Seems they stayed pretty on top of the industry and the most recent blog about their charity work, fantastic to say the least.

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Funny, Jud would always talk about an AF15 9.2 he had that Victor (CC?) was always bugging him to sell. Maybe the 9.2 that came up to auction recently on CC was his.

Edited by NoMan

I have always heard about this store but never visited it because it would be maybe a 45 minute-1 hour drive away. I heard they were a bit pricey as well. I checked their website and didn't see much in my GA wheel house. Do they have much GA? Is it pretty pricey? Would it be worth it for me to make the trek even at 30% off?

Always sad to see a comic shop close. Especially a decent one.

50 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I have always heard about this store but never visited it because it would be maybe a 45 minute-1 hour drive away. I heard they were a bit pricey as well. I checked their website and didn't see much in my GA wheel house. Do they have much GA? Is it pretty pricey? Would it be worth it for me to make the trek even at 30% off?

Nice books on the wall (don’t recall a lot of GA — maybe some Superman or Batman) that are above going rate. Limited, rotating stock in the store itself. I’d say as much space for new books as for back issues. 

Don’t know if they’re going to bring more stock in for the sale. 

14 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Are they pricey?     Yes. Very, very, very pricey.

Do they have much GA?    No. None. 

(If they had GA) would it be pricey?   Yes. Very, very, very pricey.

Would it be worth it for you to make the trek even at 30% off?   My personal opinion is no, it would not be worth your 1-hour drive. I came to this opinion for you because they have no GA and at 30% off their books, instead of being very, very pricey, at 30% off they would simply be very pricey.

Jud (owner) was always pleasant to me. He seemed like a nice guy. 

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

Are they pricey?     Yes. Very, very, very pricey.

Do they have much GA?    No. None. 

(If they had GA) would it be pricey?   Yes. Very, very, very pricey.

Would it be worth it for you to make the trek even at 30% off?   My personal opinion is no, it would not be worth your 1-hour drive. I came to this opinion for you because they have no GA and at 30% off their books, instead of being very, very pricey, at 30% off they would simply be very pricey.

Jud (owner) was always pleasant to me. He seemed like a nice guy. 

Thanks for the info. I kind of thought so. I hate wasting time and gas for nothing. I don't know of any local LA or OC shops that carry any amount of GA. Too bad. I was down in the city of Orange last week and dropped into the new Torpedo shop. Two beater Crime books pretty pricey. A few OK SA books but also very pricey. I asked the girl working there and kind of got a blank look. She handed me a flyer for the Torpedo show...

Been to the shop a few times.  Great variety of silver age and bronze.  They did have a few GA books, one that stood out was a Tec #2.  Talked to Jud a couple times, he was very nice and he did mention he had a bunch of GA keys at one point which I think he sold.