• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did Batman become more popular than Superman?
1 1

130 posts in this topic

Superman was 'The Man' for many years.   He basically started the genre.  He was marketed heavily in the 1930's and 1940's.  Had his own radio show during that time, had his own newspaper strip, then got his first tv show in the 1950's.  Kids wanted to be like Superman.  They sold a ton of merchandise in that time, with his likeness on it.   Batman was there too, but he certainly didn't garner the appeal that Superman did in that era. 

Then that all changed.  Was it 1966 and the Adam West interpretation.  Was it Frank Miller?  Was it the changing of society, into liking more brooding, conflicted characters?   When did Batman lap Superman?  

16 minutes ago, DarthRawn said:

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
16 minutes ago, DarthRawn said:

i thought the same....

I was typing out a long post while you guys cheated. :frustrated:

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

I could be wrong as I was only 16 in 1986 but I think Frank Miller's Dark Knight, which came as Miller was peaking was the greatest thing in comics up until that time (IMO arguably ever). That arc really left an impression as to how dark Batman really was so that started the movement.

That was sort of a 'touchstone moment' but I think that the Batman movie in 1989 galvanized the character in American pop culture to non-collectors in a way nothing else did before or ever will again.

Leading up to the movie, Batman started gaining popularity in comics, first with Miller's Dark Knight and then artists like Norm Breyfogle and McFarlane and other creators really looking for ways to bring the Dark Knight to new heights building on Miller's vision. All of those artists seemed to draw in a very Milleresque style, trying to capitalize on Miller's dark and grandiose style.

But it was Tim Burton's movie that galvanized Batman in the eye of the general public and really made Batman a super star.

Tim Burton's Batman movie came out in 1989 and the buzz about the movie created a Batmania like I had never seen before and we will likely never see again. You could literally see it everywhere. Malls, on television, in comic stores.

There were debates about Keaton starring in the movie, and while that sounds like a normal thing today's pop culture driven digital world it was unheard of in 1989.

That year, 'Tec 27 overtook all other books for most valuable book in the OSPG and everything Batman related shot upward in value almost as fast as a hot book does today.

Around that period and moving forward Batman story arcs seemed to dominate from A Lonely Place Of Dying and the death of Robin, to all of the short story arcs that followed, to the new Batman titles and one offs branching out from his popularity.

There was so many creators that wanted a shot at working on Batman that it was a reader's dream. 

It's hard to explain what Batmania was like back in 1989 unless you were there.

It was sort of like a comic book version of the Beatles coming to America and appearing on the Ed Sullivan show.

If anyone is interested in reading up on the history of that movie, this is a terrific read. The movie almost never happened.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batman-michael-keaton-vetoed-michelle-pfeiffer-role-1989-film-1220139

People at work were changing their usernames to bat this and bat that.  It was incredible.  Non comic fans were universally all sucked into the hype.  Everything was Batman.  After the movie which I had great hopes for I felt ripped off.  Goofy.

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I was typing out a long post while you guys cheated. :frustrated:

i was going to post it this afternoon but though hmmmm

so we all get first dibs.... 

i remember seeing it at 8 years old at my pastors house, saw the joker buzz and fry like 4 people and ask what was on the tv lol didn't believe it was "batman" haha blew my mind!

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

Danny Elfman's music was perfect. To this day that Batman theme is as memorable to me as the Star Wars theme.

You have to admit if you played it for random people maybe 1 in 50 would recognize it whereas everyone recognizes star wars.  Primitive tribes in amazon probably recognize star wars theme.

1 minute ago, kav said:

You have to admit if you played it for random people maybe 1 in 50 would recognize it whereas everyone recognizes star wars.  Primitive tribes in amazon probably recognize star wars theme.

Probably because each Star Wars movie over the last 40 years uses the same theme music. Lucas had absolute control over his product.

As Batman was reinvented his identity changed each time so you didn't have the same continuity.

9 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Probably because each Star Wars movie over the last 40 years uses the same theme music. Lucas had absolute control over his product.

As Batman was reinvented his identity changed each time so you didn't have the same continuity.

Dont you think star wars has a much more soul stirring overall effect tho?  The Batman theme is rather subdued in comparison.

4 minutes ago, kav said:

Dont you think star wars has a much more soul stirring overall effect tho?  The Batman theme is rather subdued in comparison.

Nope.

But then I don't have the emotional attachment to the Star Wars theme that I do to Batman.

I didn't see my first Star Wars movie until maybe 10 years after it was 1st in theaters.

I saw Batman the 1st weekend it was released.

Edited by VintageComics