• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is- "An original, unused cover (publisher's copy) married to an original, complete interior."
1 1

17 posts in this topic

A 9.8 Daredevil #4....sold by "KellysSuperHeroes" is this the seller whose name has come up on the boards on more than one occasion?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183850256728

7 minutes ago, JohnFranklin said:

A 9.8 Daredevil #4....sold by "KellysSuperHeroes" is this the seller whose name has come up on the boards on more than one occasion?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183850256728

Google Danny Dupcak

Danny allegedy used to have uncut Marvel cover sheets that he would cut and affix to original interiors. He would sell them as Marvel file copies.

Long history behind this name.

Edited by VintageComics

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:

Google Danny Dupcak

Danny allegedy used to have uncut Marvel cover sheets that he would cut and affix to original interiors. He would sell them as Marvel file copies.

I thought that was him.....you aren't kidding....history behind that name that is.

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Google Danny Dupcak

Ah old Danny Cupcake-

39 minutes ago, kav said:

How do you obtain an 'unused cover'?

Easy. I used to buy untrimmed Marvel SA production covers from Pete Koch at SDCC but this was about 30 yrs ago. Think the best 1 he had at the time was for Hulk #1 that dealer Mark Wilson (later of PGC Mint) used to marry :idea: a coverless Hulk #1.

There were also some pre hero atlas uncut covers that were being sold but I'm sorry I don't know what show.  

I have personally seen the JIM #83 uncut cover that Danny sold a customer with a spliced JIM #83 interiror,  First 1/2 was a JIM #83,  second 1/2 was another story.

Unused covers exist and I would assume they were taken off the presses to check them and people kept them or were taken for for publishers files. I have some unused pulp covers and have seen some various golden age unused covers around before. Like the unpublished covers to Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #2-6 and quite a few star publications unused comic covers I have seen around, including a few unpublished titles. Also if I remember right, most of the copies of Double Action comics #2 had their covers replaced with the handful of unused covers that turned up somewhere.

22 minutes ago, catman76 said:

Unused covers exist and I would assume they were taken off the presses to check them and people kept them or were taken for for publishers files. I have some unused pulp covers and have seen some various golden age unused covers around before. Like the unpublished covers to Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #2-6 and quite a few star publications unused comic covers I have seen around, including a few unpublished titles. Also if I remember right, most of the copies of Double Action comics #2 had their covers replaced with the handful of unused covers that turned up somewhere.

Using google I found a pic of an uncut sheet of covers that linked back to this forum in 2010, entitled: Where were comics printed in the 1960s?

comicbooksheet.png

In the mid 1980s, there were a number of unused covers floating around NY shows. Not to defend Dupcake, but many dealers were using them to create Frankenbooks.

One very prominent dealer had a beautiful white FF#1 cover on a book with tan covers. Lots of these covers  had to end up married to books.

38 minutes ago, shadroch said:

In the mid 1980s, there were a number of unused covers floating around NY shows. Not to defend Dupcake, but many dealers were using them to create Frankenbooks.

One very prominent dealer had a beautiful white FF#1 cover on a book with tan covers. Lots of these covers  had to end up married to books.

The FF #1 that was married was horribly done.  First off the uncut covers were much larger and should have been trimmed.  Second the person who married the FF #1 cover to the interior picked a interior that had much darker page quality then the cover.  Second,  he missed multiple times in lining up the cover to the staple placement.  I've seen good Frankenbooks and horrible versions.

Probably 30 years ago, Ray Storch in the Bay Area had a ton of late GA early SA printers in-trimmed file copy covers. I don't remember how he said he got them. He had tons of them.  He married them to low grade or coverless copies (and sold them as such). He did a real good job and they were beautiful. I bought a bunch of them as well as some of the covers themselves. I still have some of them. The PCH covers were a sight to behold!

On 6/26/2019 at 10:18 AM, Montezuma said:

He also had some Stanhall covers from somewhere, I bought a few like this one from Fantasia decades ago where the covers are a thing of beauty, and the interiors are 4.0's

gi6.jpg.e03dc18878455ea68b37b12a5447cecf.jpg

Yes nothing is wrong with your chassis, m'am.