• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which artist-character combos evoke the most nostalgia in your collecting?

40 posts in this topic

I do not have any pages but when I discovered McFarlane on the Hulk I was amazed. That is probably my nostalgic touchstone. And Frank Miller on Ronin. I know they are both more celebrated for other work but those two are in my nostalgia zone.

Swan on Superman too.

12 hours ago, telerites said:

Lou Fine - The Ray/Black Condor

Mac Raboy - CM Jr.

Will Eisner - The Spirit

Ditko - Spidey/Dr. Strange

Kirby - FF

Wrightson - Swamp Thing

Barry Smith - Conan although Buscema is close

Kaluta - The Shadow

Fine, Raboy and Eisner as nostalgia?  (Really good artists,however). 

9 hours ago, Skynwalker said:

Byrne - X-men

Ploog - WWBN

Starlin - MTU, Warlock, Strange Tales

Simonson - Thor

Byrne - FF

Layton - Iron Man

Buscema - Hulk

Miller - DD, DKR

Michael Golden - misc covers during the 70s/80s

Art Adams - his early X-Men and New Mutants work

McFarlane - Spider-Man

Totally agree ...

add Starlin for Captain Marvel 

Zeck on Punisher and dare I say Captain America ( but also Kane even though Kirby set the tone )

Buscema for Avengers 

and replace Trimpe for Hulk 

Neal Adams Batman / Green Lantern-Arrow 

Edited by Old_Man_Adam
Addition

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I think it would depend on your age.  And, to me, the topic suggests that the artist/character combo and nostalgia influence the art you collect (or are trying to collect).  I did not list certain artist/character combos because I'm out of the market for the art (i.e. due to $$$) even if I like the comics.

8 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

5 hours ago, Will_K said:

I think it would depend on your age.  And, to me, the topic suggests that the artist/character combo and nostalgia influence the art you collect (or are trying to collect).  I did not list certain artist/character combos because I'm out of the market for the art (i.e. due to $$$) even if I like the comics.

I interpret nostalgia as a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.(well actually I pulled that definition which I agree with).  The art of Fine, Raboy and Eisner plus Cole are what got me collecting GA books in the mid 70s.  So what Will says fits my reasoning but to each their own.

Edit - LB Cole not Jack Cole although Jack Cole is my Plastic Man artist.  One of my most nostalgic moments was meeting LB Cole at a convention.  One of the kindest people I have ever met. 

Edited by telerites

2 hours ago, telerites said:

I interpret nostalgia as a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.(well actually I pulled that definition which I agree with).  The art of Fine, Raboy and Eisner plus Cole are what got me collecting GA books in the mid 70s.  So what Will says fits my reasoning but to each their own.

Edit - LB Cole not Jack Cole although Jack Cole is my Plastic Man artist.  One of my most nostalgic moments was meeting LB Cole at a convention.  One of the kindest people I have ever met. 

I still remember Kitchen Sink's reprints of the Spirit, and they were amazing, but I don't associate them with "nostalgia". I think of it as something involving a personal past. 

I assume this is the definition you meant:

"a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.
'I was overcome with acute nostalgia for my days in college' "

But, whatever...

Raboy is so rarely discussed as a book artist, but his Captain Marvel, Jr. stuff was ahead of its time, from what I have seen of it.

Norm Breyfogle - Batman 

Bill Reinhold - Badger 

Jim Balent - Catwoman 

Geoff Senior - Transformers 

Steve Ditko - Spider-Man

Barry Smith - Machine Man

Jack Kirby - X-Men

:cloud9:

Kirby FF ( I bought Marvels Greatest Comics)

Aragones Plop! (my only DC)

Sal Buscema Hulk (as mentioned by many)

Ploog WWBN (as mentioned by one)

John Buscema Conan

George Tuska Iron Man

and this is completely against the intent of the question, but Giant-Size Marvels.

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I still remember Kitchen Sink's reprints of the Spirit, and they were amazing, but I don't associate them with "nostalgia". I think of it as something involving a personal past. 

I assume this is the definition you meant:

"a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.
'I was overcome with acute nostalgia for my days in college' "

But, whatever...

Raboy is so rarely discussed as a book artist, but his Captain Marvel, Jr. stuff was ahead of its time, from what I have seen of it.

I latched onto the Spirit and Eisner through the Warren reprints initially. 

I just copied and pasted the top part of the definition I referenced but from Google dictionary so should have added clarity.  

Both Raboy and Fine I discovered through Alan Light's reprints.  It was as if I was discovering an unknown world.  Lou Fine was amazing with his detail.  A while back I finished my run of National Comics (Uncle Sam covers) and Uncle Sam Quarterlys that I started collecting because I saw the cover of National #7.  I would have connected Uncle Sam with Fine but others had a mix in that character including creator Eisner and so many other great artists.  

Take care.

On 6/25/2019 at 7:48 PM, exitmusicblue said:

McFarlane's and Bagley's Venom (Spidey was dead to me). Jim Lee's X-Men (Blue Team!  Just a perfect ensemble), Jae Lee's Namor (accelerated my adolescence). DeCarlo's Archie (too bad I collected only the digests).

I see references to Xmen blue team, but I'm not clear which team that is and why it's the blue team?  Help out a newbie please!  :bigsmile:

Oh, and to answer the question, I guess it would be 

Miller Daredevil

Starlin Cosmic (Capt. Marvel and Warlock)

Ploog WWBN (but first Ghost Rider is right there)

Neal Adams anything

Buscema Silver Surfer

Kirby/Sinnott FF

Tuska then Romita/Layton on Iron Man

Sal Buscema then George Perez (interspersed with some Sal Buscema) on Avengers

John Buscema on Marvel Triple Action (Avengers reprints).

Byrne/Austin on X-Men

End of Trimpe/beginning of Sal B. on Hulk

John Buscema on Thor

I of course appreciated other later titles like Miller Daredevil/DK, Simonson Thor, Bryne second run FF, Zeck Punisher, etc. and enjoyed reading reprints of Romita Spidey and Trimpe Hulk but by then I was a bit older (with al the things that go along with that) and the nostalgia feeling wasn't/isn't the same (that doesn't mean I didn't looked forward eagerly at times to the next issue of various titles).

Sorry for the multiple artists on certain titles but that's how my nostalgia rolls!

4 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I see references to Xmen blue team, but I'm not clear which team that is and why it's the blue team?  Help out a newbie please!  :bigsmile:

Oh, and to answer the question, I guess it would be 

Miller Daredevil

Starlin Cosmic (Capt. Marvel and Warlock)

Ploog WWBN (but first Ghost Rider is right there)

Neal Adams anything

Buscema Silver Surfer

Kirby/Sinnott FF

Here ya go!

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/X-Men_Vol_2_1

Texeira Jonah Hex/Hex

Budiansky Ghost Rider

Trimpe GI Joe

Springer Dazzler

Paul Smith Uncanny X-Men

Gene Day Master of Kung Fu

Starlin Warlock/Captain Marvel/Dreadstar

DeCarlo Betty and Veronica/Cheryl Blossom

1980’s Infantino Flash

Infantino Star Wars

Bissette/Totleben Swamp Thing

Byrne Fantastic Four

Simonson Thor

Miller DD

Golden Micronauts

Sal Buscema ROM 

Lapham Harbinger

McDonnell Iron Man

Banks Green Lantern

Buscema Conan

Andru Spider-Man

Nolan Batman

Totleben Miracleman

Truog Animal Man

Lightle Doom Patrol

I see a bunch of great runs that I collect bit not all the most nostalgic for me

These are demonstrated to various extent by my CAF / Want List

Nova - Buscema Brothers

Ms. Marvel - Buscema / Mooney

Fantastic Four - Perez / Sinnott - Pollard / Sinnott - Byrne / Sinnott (first run)

Warlock - Starlin

Batman - Rogers/Austin (c'mon no one remembers this fondly -  Marvel Zombies, :))