• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Ad Curiosity
1 1

21 posts in this topic

We all saw the mail order ad's in the comics we read as kids.  I'm curious if anyone ever ordered any of those toys or clothes that were for sale (especially from the Marvel books).  If you did please post some pictures if you still have them!!!!

My buddy has pretty much every one of those items plus the items in the johnson smith catalogue.  Several of his items were featured in Mail Order Mysteries.  He has the only known polaris nucular sub.  Absolutely none of those items were what kids thought they would be.  I myself ordered the 'flashing eyes' and was sorely disappointed to find it was instructions for gluing foil on your eyelids while you were on stage.  i was sure I would be shooting sparks at my friends.

61PpJ52S1TL._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Mail-order-mysteries-3.jpg

download (7).jpg

4 minutes ago, kav said:

My buddy has pretty much every one of those items plus the items in the johnson smith catalogue.  Several of his items were featured in Mail Order Mysteries.  He has the only known polaris nucular sub.  Absolutely none of those items were what kids thought they would be.  I myself ordered the 'flashing eyes' and was sorely disappointed to find it was instructions for gluing foil on your eyelids while you were on stage.  i was sure I would be shooting sparks at my friends.

61PpJ52S1TL._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Mail-order-mysteries-3.jpg

download (7).jpg

Cool, I didn't realize that there was a book.  Is it worth getting?

2 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Cool, I didn't realize that there was a book.  Is it worth getting?

It is to answer the mysteries but it's a quick read-maybe 1/2 hour.  

Ps he spent $550 on ebay for that ghost.  a cheap balloon and some string.  But very rare.

Ad made it sound like a horrifying ghost that you control with some sort of anti-grav device-

I cant put a value on that sub as only one exists and its not for sale.  But put on ebay for 5K I'm sure it would move.

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:

I had sea monkeys and x ray specs but got them at a local store that sold bootleg toys and magic tricks

i wonder if anyone ordered the monkey? I heard they actually delivered on that one 

There was an old dim dingy magic store in town but the guy would always try to talk you out of buying stuff.  He seemed to have no interest in selling-years later I decided it was a bookie front or something.