• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're gone
1 1

16 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Just remember that long after its contents have turned to dust, that shiny Mylar will be around to plague your descendents.

So true, but after Googling I learned there are 3 recycling centers in the US that can handle mylar.  So all's not lost (or gained in perpetuity).

Just in the starting stages of liquidating my own collection of GA-Bronze.

Over 900 slabs, 5+ short boxes of GA, 3+short boxes 30 cent variants and 2+ short boxes of 35 Cent variants.

87  short boxes over-all, soon to be consigned. Most of the bronze are vf/nm range.  I hope to get a down payment on a vacation home somewhere in the northwest.  Time to let others enjoy these books. 

The one thing I am most happy about is I was convinced by another boardie very early on to go with short boxes. :eek:

Edited by NP_Gresham

I'm jealous that you were able to do it. I have amassed soooo many books (just like I suspect many of us here have), while I am an active seller, mainly online, my wife and I are expected to move and I am dreading that. 

I had a dream a few months ago that an aweful tragedy took place and all my comics were gone. Strangely I woke up not feeling sad or horrified as one would expect to feel from such a nightmare 

But I love the hobby, buying/selling/researching/debating comics is all I do at my spare time. I think that my life would be filled with void if that part of my occupation was taken away. At least at this stage in my life 

26 minutes ago, namisgr said:

For the moment I'm trying to, but I'm being outbid pretty consistently lately.  So going forward, we'll see...

Yeah I have been getting outbid a lot lately as well. Luckily, I have been finding some decent raw books, and hope that trend continues.

I still have a few years of collecting left in me. The two sets I’m working on now are my swan song. When I complete them, I will have accomplished my collecting goals. At that point I may just sell everything. 

Also depends on other factors (health, finances, etc)

5 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

You still have the knowledge and memories will stay- some you can call off the top of your head while others shall involuntarily pop-up. There's a time when we all must part with the comics but the knowledge and experience we have reading and collecting them remains. We take that with us wherever we go. I've read many of your posts over the years and enjoyed seeing books you've collected. Your knowledge and ability to share it around here is a shining example of what's great about the boards. The comics come and go while the knowledge stays and the respect you've earned from fellow collectors who share the passion for this hobby continues. Long after we're referenced as persons who collected books from that "era of comic books long ago," future generations will be passing around our books and imagining what it was like when these comics hit what was called a "20th Century Newsstand" or displayed on the wall behind the counter of a "LCS." They will tell one another "if we had a time machine..." Posterity will also try to imagine what the world we lived in at the time was like, they'll look at the books and admire the art and heroes we loved. The books will continue to tell a story...and give some insight into a world that once existed... a world constantly changing but captured for a moment by this art form. Our world.

:x

It was bitter sweet for me when I sold off my entire collection back in the early '80s.  On one hand, it was a relief to unload all the books at once (with the exception of my Heavy Metal collection), but on the other hand, the LCS owner I sold it to was a real sh-t and I had to chase after my money.  Ironically, I wounded up working in his shop just when I was no longer into comic books.  

I returned to the hobby back in 2011 and kept a very narrow focus with my collecting goals.  Upon achieving most of them, it's probably safe to say I'm out of the hobby again as I haven't bought a comic in almost two years now, albeit I picked up a trade or two just for reading enjoyment. I haven't thought about selling this new collection thus far, but I have taken a few steps to ensure my family knows how to ship them off for auction in the event something happens to me.  

On 6/26/2019 at 8:32 PM, namisgr said:

With the desire to unload our physical possessions to make the next stages of life easier, I've now sold over 90% of my Bronze and Copper age comics bought off the rack during my avid comic reading periods from 1972-'76 and '81-'85.  They went to a single buyer with whom I've done a bunch of business before, who also happens to be a good friend.  Eight longboxes of books have been substituted by a lot more space in the comic book/computer room and a bit of cash.  The Bronze was VF/NM shape on average overall, with the Copper being nicer - I was 17 when the collecting started, and was taught by a comic buddy right from the start how to read the books without doing them serious damage.

There's still a shortbox of the complete Master of Kung Fu run, but that was committed yesterday to the same buyer.  The collection was probably about 80% Marvels and 20% DCs, as I was most assuredly a Marvel zombie back in the day.  Most of the big keys were slabbed and sold years ago and weren't part of our recent deal.  Only a couple remain in my possession as part of my raw picture frame Marvel collection of ~300 books, about 100 of which are my original copies.  That, too, will be sold eventually, but will continue to be around for awhile for scratching the collecting itch (upgrades! holes to fill!) and the occasional read.  Also for continued reading pleasure are the collection of Undergrounds and runs of Marvel reprint titles that cover much of the Marvel Silver Age.  There's also still a magazine collection to eventually sell, including a run of Mad started from a subscription when I was 13.

It was a bittersweet process but also necessary.  Time waits for no one.  And it's kind of cool to realize that the books that I bought when new will now filter their way to many new collections and be enjoyed by many more comic book fans.  I'm curious to learn of the experiences and feelings of others who've gone the same route and sold most or all of the books they bought and read when young.

"Time waits for no one" - indeed. I was thinking about this recently. A poster on these boards who can remain anonymous was famous for his proclamations that the gems he had acquired were not for sale, and yet two years ago they all suddenly were. Practicalities intervene, and as such some of the gems are now in my collection. I also remember an Ebay user who thanked me profusely when I purchased his 9.8 W copy of ASM #129 several years ago, telling me the money was paying for outfitting the nursery for his newborn child. 

The hobby does have a certain odd element to it in that something can be passed from owner to owner, with each new person usually oblivious to the stories or attachment that came before.

Bronze Johnny does have a good point - you will always have the memories. If I had a time machine one of my trips would be to New York City  in the early 60s just to see these eventual classics sitting on the rack of a news stand. That must have been something.