• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 Conundrum

120 posts in this topic

I have an AF15, CGC 1.5 PLOD.

The only restoration is a corner on the back cover that's been trimmed, like 1/2" long by 1/8" deep. 

Every time I look at this book I can't help but think that if that were a torn piece instead of a slice, it'd be a Blue label, and worth more.

As horrible as it is to say, I'm tempted to micro tear that edge to "unrestore" it. 

What would you do? (If you were going to sell it).

15 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

The only restoration is a corner on the back cover that's been trimmed, like 1/2" long by 1/8" deep. 

Every time I look at this book I can't help but think that if that were a torn piece instead of a slice, it'd be a Blue label, and worth more.

As horrible as it is to say, I'm tempted to micro tear that edge to "unrestore" it. 

I'd be very, very careful...

1 hour ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Correct me if I am wrong but you are trying to fool CGC into missing the trimming by adding additional micro tears? I think CGC would still catch it, either way, but it doesn't seem like the right thing to do. The book was trimmed, no way of undoing it. 

I don't think you would be able to get that past CGC as I am assuming the interior pages also reflect this trimming so are you planning on tearing the interior pages etc.. 

5 minutes ago, Wipple said:

The way you described the trim, it sounds like you can hide the trim with a rip. Please send a picture so you can actually get better opinions.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I don't really want to do it, but if it meant the difference between $10k+ for a Blue label and $5k+ for the PLOD, it's hard not to consider. But, I don't see any recent sales on GPA for a restored 1.5, so hard to judge. Just a frustration that a trim is worse than a tear, and on certain keys you could tear off the trim and it'd grade better, which is kinda nuts.

Sorry, I'm traveling so don't have the book with me. I'll see if I can find it in the AF15 Club thread from years ago.

2 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I don't really want to do it, but if it meant the difference between $10k+ for a Blue label and $5k+ for the PLOD, it's hard not to consider. But, I don't see any recent sales on GPA for a restored 1.5, so hard to judge. Just a frustration that a trim is worse than a tear, and on certain keys you could tear off the trim and it'd grade better, which is kinda nuts.

Sorry, I'm traveling so don't have the book with me. I'll see if I can find it in the AF15 Club thread from years ago.

My advice is not to do anything until you can post clear, large scans from several angles. That will enable us to lend better opinions than sight unseen.

6 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

My advice is not to do anything until you can post clear, large scans from several angles. That will enable us to lend better opinions than sight unseen.

I'm still baffled why we are discussing trying to hide a trim with a tear. This is okay for everyone ? 

11 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm still baffled why we are discussing trying to hide a trim with a tear. This is okay for everyone ? 

Is it really that much different than having a book mutilated to remove color touch? They are both removing chunks of the book in order to go from restored to a blue label.