• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 Conundrum

120 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Superman2006 said:

Incorrect (i.e. your assertion that remaindered copies would get an NG)

Since it was signed, it got a yellow label 0.5. Had it not been signed, it "should" receive a blue label, 0.5, as I had stated.

Here are some blue labeled remaindered copies that received a 0.5:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-1st-Series-53-1948-CGC-0-5-0354967003/133031648354?hash=item1ef94ddc62:g:PVkAAOSwta5cv9OZ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-1-CGC-0-5-1963-Jack-Kirby-Stan-Lee-First-Appearance-Complete-Nice-Pages/254287276666?hash=item3b34b3ea7a:g:b1gAAOSwB-JdIAr5

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crack-Comics-15-1941-CGC-0-5-0354997011/312543182440?hash=item48c5067e68:g:rKcAAOSwXIRcmcmE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Showcase-17-1958-CGC-0-5-1495585011/362600616521?hash=item546cae5249:g:fNkAAOSwPjNcnhA7

Note: 4 of the first 5 CGC 0.5 remaindered copies I found on eBay were graded as blue label 0.5's; 1 was graded as green label 0.5; I think all 5 (or most of the 5) had new CGC labels, including the 1 green label. I think the green label was a screw up, and such book could probably be sent back in to get a blue label 0.5...

zoiks!

good research, seems I am wrong. Very strange that simply because a book is signed it would be treated different. It must be missing the marvel value stamp but not mentioned on the cgc label?

23 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

zoiks!

good research, seems I am wrong. Very strange that simply because a book is signed it would be treated different. It must be missing the marvel value stamp but not mentioned on the cgc label?

Thanks. Actually, I think that the signed copy was treated consistent with the blue label 0.5's; since it was signed / witnessed by CGC, it received a yellow label 0.5. 

I think the anomaly is the green label 0.5 FF #48 that I came across on eBay (link below); this was the 5th CGC 0.5 remainder copy that I came across in a quick eBay search on CGC 0.5, which didn't receive a 0.5 blue label like the other remainder copies that I provided links for above; I suspect that book could be resubmitted for a blue label 0.5...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-48-CGC-0-5-1st-Full-Silver-Surfer-Galactus-Qualified/254291903075?hash=item3b34fa8263:g:UbUAAOSwfx9dJYlL

On 7/9/2019 at 7:08 AM, TwoPiece said:

I'm kinda starting to lean to a side where I think "trimming" that is not done to make the comic look like an original cut along the edges, IMO, should not be considered "restoration". Like cutting a triangle out of an edge to remove a tear or something. Obviously it wasn't originally distributed that way. I think that it should still be noted so that the consumer always knows it was 'modified', but IMO should get a blue label.

Does that make sense..?

Was wondering about a similar situation myself.   Would CGC consider it "trimming" if you used scissors like this?   

Image result for jagged scissors

Could you remove "deceptive trimming" using these and get a blue label?   Obviously, they'd knock the grade down for the destruction of the book.  But, I would think a "wavy cut" would look preferable to ripping trimming off.  At least you could, more or less, control the cut.  

Of course, I think the original idea and the above idea are both equally ridiculous.  

On 7/11/2019 at 9:32 AM, comicginger1789 said:
On 7/10/2019 at 11:22 AM, gadzukes said:

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

Also, if anyone here other than gadzukes obviously can identify this comic based on back cover alone and the tiniest of colour visible from the front cover, I would be very VERY impressed. Plus I know that by posing this I am likely to drive some people crazy which is always a good thing.

I'll say Conan #19. Gadzukes?

He could just use the old method of folding a new rip-line several times back and forth, lick the fold edge, place a ruler on the fold line, and then tear away unwanted trim...  RESTO-REMOVED!

So let me get this straight... you want to rip off a chunk of the back cover to hide the fact that someone trimmed it.  

Really?  This is where we are in this hobby... 

dce7a12cd2fb83fbe7d01057bfe0c7a8.jpg

16 hours ago, Pontoon said:

I'll say Conan #19. Gadzukes?

I believe you’re right. I’m on vacation right now so I don’t have if in front of me, but I know it was a Conan (although I think it was the pence version... if you would have known that I would have sent a no-prize to you)

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

So let me get this straight... you want to rip off a chunk of the back cover to hide the fact that someone trimmed it.  

I don’t think “chunk” is the right word.  Chunk sounds huge  

If the OP split the $6000 profit he could make with you, would that change your opinion?

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

To be fair to the OP, he didn't create the system. 

4 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I don’t think “chunk” is the right word.  Chunk sounds huge  

If the OP split the $6000 profit he could make with you, would that change your opinion?

No, because I have faced this very issue before with a book. A board member here suggested this thing. I looked at him with complete sincerity and asked him, “Are you a (insert an F bomb as an adverb) insufficiently_thoughtful_person?”

But hey power of money y’all 

no I would not 

Fellow boardie has also suggested scraping off color touch to look like a books was scuffed with a cheese grader to get a blue label among other things. 

What would i do? I would go all out Beatles.  Let it Be.  

Edited by Buzzetta

On 6/26/2019 at 10:13 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

I have an AF15, CGC 1.5 PLOD.

The only restoration is a corner on the back cover that's been trimmed, like 1/2" long by 1/8" deep. 

Every time I look at this book I can't help but think that if that were a torn piece instead of a slice, it'd be a Blue label, and worth more.

As horrible as it is to say, I'm tempted to micro tear that edge to "unrestore" it. 

What would you do? (If you were going to sell it).

I would do exactly what you're doing... well everything but the part where you posted on here asking people if you should do it...

its kind of scary to think that the hobby has come to this where we would cause intentional damage to a book to get a specific color label from a third party grading system. But I guess this is where we are. 

19 hours ago, Comicdey said:

Just cut off the trim 

CGC will give it a Purple label (in my opinion).  ANY type of trimming with scissors/razor/sharp edge seems to result in PURPLE.

I have a hand-cut production wavy trim at the top edge of a St John book (this publisher had horrible publishing practices) which was given a Purple Label.  The cut is not even straight!  I don't understand why it would be given a restored label.  To me, restoration is an attempt at making a book more visually appealing.  Good thing I'm keeping the book and not trying to sell it....

Funny, I have another St John book where too much of the cover was trimmed during production, and it resides in a BLUE holder.  The cut is straight though.  (shrug)

dude was probably smart enough to realize if he's going to try to get one past CGC or the "system" he might not want to post evidence lol 

On 7/9/2019 at 5:08 AM, TwoPiece said:

I'm kinda starting to lean to a side where I think "trimming" that is not done to make the comic look like an original cut along the edges, IMO, should not be considered "restoration". Like cutting a triangle out of an edge to remove a tear or something. Obviously it wasn't originally distributed that way. I think that it should still be noted so that the consumer always knows it was 'modified', but IMO should get a blue label.

Does that make sense..?

This is the point I was trying to make or at least point out the flaw in the grading system. The book I'm talking about is a 1.5. But imagine if it were a PLOD 6.0. The difference in value between blue and purple would be roughly $30k. If you have no intention of selling, then it's a moot point. But if you are planning to sell, it's a grey area that gets more grey depending on the value of the book. 

The irony of the whole thing is that someone trimmed this cover in the first place, to increase it's perceived value (pre CGC). The color touch on countless purple labels, the amateur trimming, was often done BY dealers, who now clutch their pearls at the thought of undoing what a generation of dealers knowingly participated in.

P.S. I was only home for one day, so I didn't have time to scan the book. But I'm home on Saturday and will grab it and post, so this morality play can enter it's closing act.