• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 Conundrum

120 posts in this topic

I am pretty sure I've seen a corner cut off but maybe more like a triangle and it was in a blue label. I'll have to see if I can find a image of it again.

40 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

I am pretty sure I've seen a corner cut off but maybe more like a triangle and it was in a blue label. I'll have to see if I can find a image of it again.

Back in the day kids used scissors on comics all the time.  A corner cut off a book is unlikely to get a purple label. As comicginger mentioned, corners get folded and fall off on their own all the time, so that is a possible direction as well. 

53 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Wait a minute... Shouldn't coupons being clipped get the PLOD!? The pages were cut!

I think it gets the green qualified label for coupons clipped.

Image result for cgc comic corner cut off

Edited by Krishosein
image from google but its from Mycomicshop

5 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I just thought I'd add a "visual aid" to help with the conversation.

I took one of my worthless comics and trimmed the corner as per the OPs description 1/2" long by 1/8" deep.

On the second photo I just scraped up the edge a little to make it look like a tear or a bug chew.

Photo 1 represents the OPs 1.5 restored AF15.  GPA shows values around $5000

Photo 2 would most likely get the same grade (1.5) in a Blue label.  GPA shows value around $11,000.

Discuss

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

I think the OP would tear away ALL of the trimmed edge rather than scrape it.  So it would be missing a piece larger than the original missing piece.

Thank you for the visual aid.

The whole problem here is CGC's labels and the conflict of interest having an in-house restoration team.  Unfortunately, since the OP wants to sell it at maximum value - they need to tear off the trimmed part(s).  In my opinion, this is not as bad as removing color touch and ending up in the CGC universal holder.

this specific case is an example of CGC needing to adjust grading standards by perhaps grading the book similar to if what is missing was torn off. I would rather the book remain as it is and yet sell for a value that compensates the owner. Otherwise there will be tearing off of material or scraping off of restoration to increase the values.

What colour label do those remainder copies get? Did anyone ever have one graded? 

Is it remainder? Is that the right word? You know, those books where the top third of the cover is cut off. It's destruction rather than restoration... Should they have a black label?

I wonder if one exists for an AF15? Or any major key. That would be a damn shame! 

30 minutes ago, Dan82 said:

What colour label do those remainder copies get? Did anyone ever have one graded? 

Is it remainder? Is that the right word? You know, those books where the top third of the cover is cut off. It's destruction rather than restoration... Should they have a black label?

I wonder if one exists for an AF15? Or any major key. That would be a damn shame! 

like this one? Not remaindered but missing a large chunk. Blue label

AF15.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

like this one?

AF15.jpg

Nah, I was thinking of the books that have the top third removed... By the newsagent if I remember right. I just googled it and found a whole thread on it over on 'the other guys' forum. 

Like this

b47386b10d6478ac4a9cb2f0bb252f7d.jpg

Did that ever happen on a huge book? What colour label would it be assigned? I'm guessing purple, but purple indicates restoration and this sort of thing is anything but! It is destruction, purposefully damaged by the newsagent so that they couldn't be sold on the stands instead of being returned to the printer. Quite a few survived though, I see them quite often but say I ever saw one slabbed.

A better explanation than my own - 

Quote:

Originally Posted by poka
What happened to the top part?

Back in the day when retailers wanted to get credit for unsold copies the distibutors would have the do this and send in just the torn off title, because it was cheaper than having retailers return the whole book. I beleive retailers were supposed to destroy these, but obviosly many of them were sold at a discount as "remaindered copies."

8 minutes ago, Dan82 said:

Nah, I was thinking of the books that have the top third removed... By the newsagent if I remember right. I just googled it and found a whole thread on it over on 'the other guys' forum. 

Like this

b47386b10d6478ac4a9cb2f0bb252f7d.jpg

Did that ever happen on a huge book? What colour label would it be assigned? I'm guessing purple, but purple indicates restoration and this sort of thing is anything but! It is destruction, purposefully damaged by the newsagent so that they couldn't be sold on the stands instead of being returned to the printer. Quite a few survived though, I see them quite often but say I ever saw one slabbed.

I know what remaindered is. My Aunt used to give me remaindered comics in the 1970's when she worked in a pharmacy that sold comics.

Yes there have been several AF15 remaindered books. I have seen the restored remaindered books encapsulated but I have never seen an unrestored one in a CGC slab. I would assume a remaindered book would get the NG designation "incomplete".

27 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I know what remaindered is. My Aunt used to give me remaindered comics in the 1970's when she worked in a pharmacy that sold comics.

Yes there have been several AF15 remaindered books. I have seen the restored remaindered books encapsulated but I have never seen an unrestored one in a CGC slab. I would assume a remaindered book would get the NG designation "incomplete".

Barring any resto, assuming the ASM 13 shown above is otherwise complete, I'm pretty sure it would get a blue label 0.5...

17 minutes ago, Superman2006 said:

Barring any resto, assuming the ASM 13 shown above is otherwise complete, I'm pretty sure it would get a blue label 0.5...

incorrect.

here is a remaindered hulk 181.

notes say " 1/2 of cover missing, does not affect story. Incomplete."

06738c6d51a5165c4d7ac8de706a76f9.jpg

13 hours ago, Artboy99 said:
13 hours ago, Superman2006 said:

incorrect.

All remaindered copies get a Signature Series label? 

22 hours ago, gadzukes said:

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

Also, if anyone here other than gadzukes obviously can identify this comic based on back cover alone and the tiniest of colour visible from the front cover, I would be very VERY impressed. Plus I know that by posing this I am likely to drive some people crazy which is always a good thing.

17 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

incorrect.

Incorrect (i.e. your assertion that remaindered copies would get an NG)

Since it was signed, it got a yellow label 0.5. Had it not been signed, it "should" receive a blue label, 0.5, as I had stated.

Here are some blue labeled remaindered copies that received a 0.5:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-1st-Series-53-1948-CGC-0-5-0354967003/133031648354?hash=item1ef94ddc62:g:PVkAAOSwta5cv9OZ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-1-CGC-0-5-1963-Jack-Kirby-Stan-Lee-First-Appearance-Complete-Nice-Pages/254287276666?hash=item3b34b3ea7a:g:b1gAAOSwB-JdIAr5

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crack-Comics-15-1941-CGC-0-5-0354997011/312543182440?hash=item48c5067e68:g:rKcAAOSwXIRcmcmE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Showcase-17-1958-CGC-0-5-1495585011/362600616521?hash=item546cae5249:g:fNkAAOSwPjNcnhA7

Note: 4 of the first 5 CGC 0.5 remaindered copies I found on eBay were graded as blue label 0.5's; 1 was graded as green label 0.5; I think all 5 (or most of the 5) had new CGC labels, including the 1 green label. I think the green label was a screw up, and such book could probably be sent back in to get a blue label 0.5...

Edited by Superman2006