• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What books would you get graded???
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I was curious as to what books everyone sees as a book that for sure should be graded. This could be for a personal collection or for reselling. I am curious on everyone's thoughts!!! Thanks in advanced!

That question is pretty subjective and will be answered differently in almost every situation.  Some people grade with the sole intent to sell.  Some grade with the sole intent to store for personal reasons.  Some grade due to signature series.

So you have to decide for yourself why you would want to grade something and do it for that reason and be ok with the outcome. :)

Personally, I've treated raw books for reading and run collecting, and slabs for imminent selling.  Beyond the commitment to sell it, a comic has to exceed a certain value in its expected grade in order to justify the costs associated with slabbing, which are shipping, handling fee, grading, and return shipping: 

$Valueslabbed - $Encapsulation Cost > $Valueraw

Edited by namisgr

GRADE IT ALL !!!!!! lol 

making that decision to grade is very subjective, personal and varies based on a ton of factors. 

If your looking at generality Most would grade High value keys from GA or SA age. AF15, ASM1, FF1, Action Comics 1, TEC 27 etc.... 

I think the question is too broad.  Here's some more specific ones:

What cereals do people like?  Do you like different ones in the morning than when you eat cereal at other times?  Have your cereal tastes changed since your youth?

58 minutes ago, revat said:

What cereals do people like?  Do you like different ones in the morning than when you eat cereal at other times?  Have your cereal tastes changed since your youth?

Grape Nuts are still disgusting, the end!

21 hours ago, Jay1721 said:

Hi everyone!

I was curious as to what books everyone sees as a book that for sure should be graded. This could be for a personal collection or for reselling. I am curious on everyone's thoughts!!! Thanks in advanced!

Sorry but I don't think you are getting much serious answers here. I just don't think this is a plausible question. No good answers, sorry. 

15 hours ago, revat said:

1. Frosted Mini-Wheats.

2. No.

3. Also no.

You sure do ask the tough ones!

Edited by TwoPiece

I own a Star Wars #2 (modern series) which is graded 9.8... That right there is an example of a book that should not ever be graded.

I don't even know how I own it, I certainly did not submit it myself and I don't remember buying it. It must be worth ten times less than the cost of having it graded in the first place lol 

On 6/27/2019 at 9:43 PM, ExNihilo said:

'Tec #27, Action Comics #1, Amazing Fantasy #15 i'm slabbing even if they come back a 1.0.  Most everything else i'm okay leaving in mylites and full backs.

On 6/26/2019 at 8:11 PM, Jay1721 said:

Hi everyone!

Pick your top 5 or 10 books.  Find out their value raw and slabbed.  If any of the book's cost of getting them slabbed is less than the value after the book is slabbed, then slab it.  Go to gocollect.com, ebay, overstreet, and mycomicshop.com for fmv. Over tine you will find your groove.  It is a never ending learning experience.  

If we're talking valuable books then yeah, for sure you want a Detective #27 or Action #1 etc. other debut issues on a fast track to CGC or whatever grading service you'd like.

From my personal collection though I definitely have to get my Spawn #1 (original and Director's Cut), Witchblade 185, Spawn 231, and Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Green Variant all taken care of, but budgeting and inherent laziness have prevented that from becoming a completed goal...

Then books that you're asking to get graded should obviously be ones that make you glow with pride and joy in a totally non radioactive way

Hello, everyone! I'm brand new to CGC, just joined and considering which books to submit for grading. I have a handful of Mexican and Brazilian comics in nice shape that I'm considering for submission, including Aqui Esta Diabolico #1, O Demolidor #2,3,4, and 5, and O Homem Aranha #4 and 5. A quick check of the registry shows that very few of these books have been submitted. Is this due to rarity or lack of interest? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Cut off for me was 1000 dollar book, of course many came in lower because I didn't know how to grade very well.  I also sent in 3 books that weren't worth much but brought back memories.  I have no regrets but if it going to come back lower than an 8 it doesn't seem worth it, for instance...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_772.jpg.33944c4aab01c0379621c23d69c92f2b.jpg

as a 9 this could be an 1800 buck book, but even with pressing it is going to be far lower than a 9...