• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First mention of the Hulk in Marvel comics?

47 posts in this topic

If you REALLY want to get crazy loose with it, then how about Tales to Astonish #21 in 1961.

A story features 'The Hulk', but later when the story was reprinted the monster's name was changed from to Glop in order to avoid confusion (though in that reprint they actually recolour him to now be green!)

22 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

If you REALLY want to get crazy loose with it, then how about Tales to Astonish #21 in 1961.

A story features 'The Hulk', but later when the story was reprinted the monster's name was changed from to Glop in order to avoid confusion (though in that reprint they actually recolour him to now be green!)

And Journey into Mystery 62 was cover dated Nov. 1962.

Personally, it seems a stretch to consider these Atlas monster examples as 'prototypes', which they appear to be in character name only, let alone as early appearances.  Does one of the story lines run close to the origins of the Incredible Hulk?

10 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Personally, it seems a stretch to consider these Atlas monster examples as 'prototypes', which they appear to be in character name only, let alone as early appearances.  Does one of the story lines run close to the origins of the Incredible Hulk?

A $tretch, you $ay?

Edited by shadroch

6 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Not really, if memory serves. I’m not a big prototype guy, either.

18 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I don't think anyone is considering, nor suggesting, they are prototypes. Rather it suggests the name for the 'real' Hulk wasn't something established early on (otherwise why would they slap it on several monsters a year prior when a major new hero was supposed to come out). I would be interested to know when exactly the name 'Hulk' was applied to the Bruce Banner identity in the creative process.

12 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

I don't think anyone is considering, nor suggesting, they are prototypes. 

Maybe not here in the thread.  But definitely elsewhere: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Hulk+Atlas+prototype&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=Hulk+prototype

15 minutes ago, namisgr said:

The OSPG #17 (1987-1988) does point out these "prototypes". OSPG #14 does not (1984-1985) - so somewhere in that range specific PHM books were granted the "prototype" designation.

I think it is a stretch to retroactively add that label to these books - they were mainly 5 page, self-contained stories where a character/monster name was first used.

27 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Yeah i'm aware of those, I was talking about this thread in which everyone knows better :)
 The point was about name usage as a fun offhand when Marvel started to utilize the name and when they might have decided it would be better used for a flagship character (not some throwaway monster)

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

OMG the hulk is hairy? lol

I wish my brain could remember,but was there not a panel shown in a story with a poster on a wall saying 'the Hulk is coming'?In my minds eye I remember it being on a brick wall,yellow paper with words in red?

By no means was I suggesting this as a prototype, nor any type of a first appearance. This one came out the same week as Hulk #1, so I think it's just a cool novelty. I mean, it's no Venomized nude variant or anything - nothing THAT cool lol...

5 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

I wish my brain could remember,but was there not a panel shown in a story with a poster on a wall saying 'the Hulk is coming'?In my minds eye I remember it being on a brick wall,yellow paper with words in red?

It's listed in OS, but I don't recall the issue the poster is in.

18 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Ugh,I want to say it was in Amazing Adult Fantasy.I tried to google,but closest I got was this darn thread

Not AAF. Looked thru them all and the closest is AAF#13 that has the text at the bottom of page 2 (and a few others) about "The Hulk is coming".