• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First mention of the Hulk in Marvel comics?

47 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I's driving me crazy.Maybe a Strange Tales?I don't know where half my early Marvels are in the hoard,take me years to find and read them all.I know I have it,just not enough time!

I paged thru my Strange Tales 96-100, JIM 79-82, all the AAF, TOS 28-34 & TTA 30-34 and didn't see anything other than the text promos at the top or bottom of the page and that "poster" in TOS 33. All I have is the PHM titles, might be in another genre?

Also checked Strange Tales Annual 1, but nothing there either.

Edited by bc
ad ST Annual 1 note & typo #4,835

15 minutes ago, bc said:

I paged thru my Strange Tales 96-100, JIM 79-82, all the AAF, TOS 28-34 & TTA 30-34 and didn't see anything other than the text promos at the top or bottom of the page and that "poster" in TOS 33. All I have is the PHM titles, might be in another genre?

Also checked Strange Tales Annual 1, but nothing there either.

I know the panel is out there, have even seen it posted here before.I'm trying to go,waaaay back to the eighties when I first noticed it,and I'm now thinking TTA 26-that was a first pre hero for me,or a Strange Tales five pager;102 or 105?Sort of musing out loud-I got those three comics from the same shop,same day-just

sticks out to me.Those three are in the original,before I returned collection and are behind a decade of unorganize... Sad lol?

Edited by porcupine48
26 not 27

3 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I know the panel is out there, have even seen it posted here before.I'm trying to go,waaaay back to the eighties when I first noticed it,and I'm now thinking TTA 26-that was a first pre hero for me,or a Strange Tales five pager;102 or 105?Sort of musing out loud-I got those three comics from the same shop,same day-just

sticks out to me.Those three are in the original,before I returned collection and are behind a decade of unorganize... Sad lol?

I don't have the post PHM Strange Tales anymore - but they did contain PHM-like stories until issue 113. So you may be on the right track there.

On 6/27/2019 at 4:01 PM, porcupine48 said:

I wish my brain could remember,but was there not a panel shown in a story with a poster on a wall saying 'the Hulk is coming'?In my minds eye I remember it being on a brick wall,yellow paper with words in red?

Think this is the current question :foryou:

So if IH 1 came out in May 1962, the issue in question would likely be from the March to June time frames.

From the PHM side that would be ST 94-97, JIM 78-81, TOS 27-30, TTA 29-32, AAF 10-13. I looked thru every issue I have for the poster with actual text and also searched thru the GCD for the issues that are slabbed and did not find anything matching @porcupine48 description.

This is making me anxious now lol Does anyone else remember seeing it?I don't doubt that I've seen it,and seen it discussed here.Maybe I'm remembering an early FF issue?

Shad mentioned it was listed in OSPG,those I have easily in reach,I'll check some later.I'll likely dream of it tonight .

Edited by porcupine48
I fixeded sumthin

2 hours ago, Mucheee1 said:

I wonder if it’s in one the western titles, or maybe a Millie the Model issue.

I've read just a handful of Millie, but a lot of westerns from that era.That's a whole 'nother pile of comics for me to second guess if I saw it in there lol

Just looked through FF 3, 4, and 5. No mention of the Hulk in 3 and 4, but Johnny Storm is reading a great new comic mag at the beginning of FF 5 which is Hulk 1. This is 2 months after Hulk 1 though.

20 minutes ago, Mucheee1 said:

Just looked through FF 3, 4, and 5. No mention of the Hulk in 3 and 4, but Johnny Storm is reading a great new comic mag at the beginning of FF 5 which is Hulk 1. This is 2 months after Hulk 1 though.

According to an internet source, this is from FF#4.  No ad or in-story mention of Hulk #1, though.

ad-hulk6.jpg&key=10c3950427165be40053054

Stan was brilliant at marketing.

Edited by namisgr