• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pricing and Fee Question

3 posts in this topic

I've recently inherited two comic books (Batman #47 6-7/48 & Tales of Suspense #39 3/63). I want to ship the books via the express tier to the CGC headquarters. I believe the desired value in more than $3,000 per each book. Is the desired value simply for insurance purposes? I don't want to ship the books to CGC and they tell me the FMV is greater than the $3,000 limit; therefore they can't grade them. I've never had a comic book graded so I'm new to this. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

On 6/26/2019 at 7:11 PM, CDD said:

I've recently inherited two comic books (Batman #47 6-7/48 & Tales of Suspense #39 3/63). I want to ship the books via the express tier to the CGC headquarters. I believe the desired value in more than $3,000 per each book. Is the desired value simply for insurance purposes? I don't want to ship the books to CGC and they tell me the FMV is greater than the $3,000 limit; therefore they can't grade them. I've never had a comic book graded so I'm new to this. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

I recently joined myself and sent my 1st batch of 25 books in April.  Like you, I had lots of questions.  Not to duck anything, but feel free to actually CALL CGC with any questions you have.  Their customer service people were extremely pleasant and helpful - insurance was one of my primary questions.  For my submission, Overstreet book value was roughly $15,000 which is what I insured the USPS package for.  Granted, there's a 'leap of faith' on validating the amount of what you're claiming if the package is lost and you have to file a claim with the post office, but at least it's a starting point.  The return side of the equation I felt much more comfortable with - at that point it's been graded AND that information will be available to you when they ship.  So if the package is lost on the return trip you have evidence from the leading authority and a 3rd party.  I know it costs a few bucks more to ship with a higher insurance level, but if something goes wrong you'll be happy you didn't undervalue...

Also, CGC told me as far as the claimed 'tier' for grading goes, they have the latitude to adjust your books into another tier if it's been substantially misrepresented.  (i.e. - someone who submits claiming a lower value, when a book CLEARLY belongs in another tier)  They told me they will charge accordingly for bumping a book into to another tier, but I think there's a certain level of latitude allowed if an honest effort has obviously been been made...