• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who wore it better...Superman January 1987
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I like them both . . . Ordway's Supe was sooooooooooooo old school.  :smile: (i.e., "truth, justice and the American way)

Byrne's was always getting his butt kicked.

Edited by divad

Superman #1

I got into the Superman books in the mid 90s, where I found my way to the Man of Steel reboot and the comics that followed. At the time I didn't really care for Ordway's style, as is was quite a contrast between Byrne's work. The story and writing styles were also different between Adventures and Superman but Ordway eventually grew on me.

Edited by Brandon Shepherd

I’ve always liked both of them because of their contrast; Byrne’s then modern 80s style vs Ordway’s Golden Age homage, and both being top artists from that decade. 

The colours of the Ordway cover can look richer and more vibrant.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

That was such a great time to be reading and collecting comics  . . . :x

Sure was. DC was beginning to wrestle the reigns away from Marvel at that time but there was great stuff being done by both companies. 

I just started re-reading theses Superman issues, beginning with the Man of Steel mini-series. I've revisited the Superman books of this era a few times during my life, now in my late 30s I find that I appreciate Ordway and Wolfman's collaboration more than I had previously. While I still like Byrne's art more, I'm now keeping an eye out for Adventures of Superman #424. I like that the Adventures of Superman magazine during this era introduced great characters like Cat Grant, Bibbo Bibbowski and Jose Dlegado (Gang Buster). While the title had a more darker tone with a twist of Sci-Fi, the series explored some very human elements with it's characters. Characters who had messy personal lives but were still good people. Daily Planet editor Perry White struggled with his juvenile delinquent son, and gossip columnist Cat Grant had a reputation but a good back story that made her a complex character, such a shame DC turned her into a superficial stereotype later on.