• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

List of Comicbook Characters Ranked By # of Appearances

38 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
25 minutes ago, jcjames said:

MCS has 160 pages (50 issues/page) of spidey-titles. Not counting his apps in non-spidey titles.

With the vast majority being one-shots, variants, various reprints, etc.

Okay, the one-shots aren't relevant because you were looking at an individual item list, but variants and reprints definitely still skew it. I also really like this page of that list.

22 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Okay, the one-shots aren't relevant because you were looking at an individual item list, but variants and reprints definitely still skew it. I also really like this page of that list.

Yeah, pins are appearances right!? :D

Marvel Wiki puts Peter Parker appearances at about 4152 (Earth 616)

Edited by jcjames

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

This issue number seems extraordinarily high to me. Anyone agree?

I kind of thought the same thing considering, if we're going by this list, Cannonball (Marvel I assume) has more appearances than the Joker?

1 hour ago, Crops068 said:

Not really, considering he had so many running books consecutively and then made appearances EVERYWHERE.  He is the US version of Wolverine, but poor Logan didn't have eleventy billion monthly consecutive comics at the same time (just was in every team possible instead).

You're talking to a former Spidey completist here crops. 6 years ago I had everything and had 8,000 comics. That included pence, Canadian, Australian, MJI's, variants, subsequent printings etc. Every title. Every mini series. Every variant. Every one shot. Every appearance. Continuity, non continuity. USM, SM 2099 etc etc etc. And still only 8,000. 

The 12k figure is meaningless without parameters. ASM #666 has 145 variants. Do they count as one? 

How are they defining appearance? I included Spideys face on a kids t-shirt in the background. Cover appearance only or story? Parker only or Morales? 

I'm leaning towards dismissing the list as meaningless. 

2 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Does the weekly comic strip in Comic Shop News count? Because that's 4/month right there. 

Exactly. I was part of a Spidey Completist group once and we rarely agreed on what should be included in the 'I've got everything' list. Lots of different ways of defining 'everything'. 

2 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

I kind of thought the same thing considering, if we're going by this list, Cannonball (Marvel I assume) has more appearances than the Joker?

The Joker shows up more than most villains, but even he has never had a long stretch of monthly appearances like Cannonball.

But again, the numbers are garbage, so which one actually has more appearances? (shrug)

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

You're talking to a former Spidey completist here crops. 6 years ago I had everything and had 8,000 comics. That included pence, Canadian, Australian, MJI's, variants, subsequent printings etc. Every title. Every mini series. Every variant. Every one shot. Every appearance. Continuity, non continuity. USM, SM 2099 etc etc etc. And still only 8,000. 

The 12k figure is meaningless without parameters. ASM #666 has 145 variants. Do they count as one? 

How are they defining appearance? I included Spideys face on a kids t-shirt in the background. Cover appearance only or story? Parker only or Morales? 

Where do completionists get their info on what issues spidey appears in then?

What resource (other than word of mouth) would someone use to know ALL appearances of a certain character?

This list is just a list, nothing known about when it was put out or where the numbers came from.

Edited by jcjames

40 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

are you including spidey appearances in Marvel; Team Up, avengers etc?

2 hours ago, jcjames said:

What resource (other than word of mouth) would someone use to know ALL appearances of a certain character?

This list is just a list, nothing known about when it was put out or where the numbers came from.

Even the fandom wikias don't have appearance counts that high, and they include things like the Marvel Handbook (which I don't consider appearances). I'd also not consider What If/Elseworlds stories that aren't in continuity appearances either. I *do* think it's fair to combine DC's Earth-1, Earth-2, etc together though, as the separation of those was retroactive.

The real question is:

What is the number of feet correctly drawn by Rob Liefeld? 

:sorry:

55 minutes ago, newshane said:

The real question is:

What is the number of feet correctly drawn by Rob Liefeld? 

:sorry:

If he would just realize "hey I can draw pouches on the feet"-BOOM-problem solved.

9 hours ago, kav said:

are you including spidey appearances in Marvel; Team Up, avengers etc?

Yep. Everything 

9 hours ago, jcjames said:

Through contributing to groups and sharing info. We had contributors who would review every new release, every week for years. There are some great lists out there if you hunt, and new appearances are found in old books occasionally,  usually met with a 'how did we all miss that!' response.

I'm on the road today. When I get home I'll post some examples. As I said earlier, there is no definitive list because it depends on your eligibility criteria. Everyone has a different opinion on what should count. E.g. is someone dressed as Spidey an appearance? No if your criteria is 'Parker only', yes if your criteria is 'the physical representation of Spideys suit'.

Does Peter out of costume count as a Spidey appearance?

Does a photo of Spidey in a story count? 

It can get silly. Fun, but silly. 

More later.

Edited by Get Marwood & I

Some of them share names, but still, in regards to individual superheroes published in the US and according to https://www.comics.org/searchNew/?q=Superhero&selected_facets=country_exact:United States

Batman (18824)

Superman (15918)

Spider-Man (13682)

Wonder Woman (6557)

Captain America (5519)

Green Lantern (4490)

Wolverine (4316)

Hulk (4108)

Daredevil (3904)

Thor (3648)

Iron Man (3430)

Captain Marvel (3074)

The Flash (2858)

Deadpool (2609)

Aquaman (2521)

Supergirl (2092)

Robin (2012)

Green Arrow (1928)

Punisher (1890)

X-O Manowar (1582)

Batgirl (1405)

Doctor Strange (1315)

Bloodshot (1289)

Hawkman (1249)

Sub-Mariner (1205)

Ghost Rider (1087)

Black Panther (1069)

Plastic Man (1049)

Human Torch (1005)

Silver Surfer (1001)

Edited by Electricmastro

17 hours ago, Electricmastro said:

Some of them share names, but still, in regards to individual superheroes published in the US and according to https://www.comics.org/searchNew/?q=Superhero&selected_facets=country_exact:United States

Batman (18824)

Superman (15918)

Spider-Man (13682)

Wonder Woman (6557)

Captain America (5519)

Green Lantern (4490)

Wolverine (4316)

Hulk (4108)

Daredevil (3904)

Thor (3648)

Iron Man (3430)

Captain Marvel (3074)

The Flash (2858)

Deadpool (2609)

Aquaman (2521)

Supergirl (2092)

Robin (2012)

Green Arrow (1928)

Punisher (1890)

X-O Manowar (1582)

Batgirl (1405)

Doctor Strange (1315)

Bloodshot (1289)

Hawkman (1249)

Sub-Mariner (1205)

Ghost Rider (1087)

Black Panther (1069)

Plastic Man (1049)

Human Torch (1005)

Silver Surfer (1001)

That search has so much random junk in it that it's useless.

uselessbatmansearch.thumb.jpg.5ca9f8e2785ac7ea3d4d976f04f492e1.jpg