• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Kirby at DC

99 posts in this topic

When Kirby came to DC he said 'give me your lowest selling book' so they gave him Jimmy Olsen.  He did only 10 issues-was it the booming success he envisioned?  Did his other books at DC succeed financially?  

3 hours ago, kav said:

When Kirby came to DC. Did his other books at DC succeed financially?  

My fave 70s Kirby DC was Mr Miracle. Not sure if his 4th World saga succeeded financially, as he had to cancel or suspend Forever People and New Gods when the stronger sales figures came in for Kamandi #1 and Demon #1. All written and drawn by Kirby. Inks by Mike Royer?

1 minute ago, aardvark88 said:

My fave 70s Kirby DC was Mr Miracle. Not sure if his 4th World saga succeeded financially, as he had to cancel or suspend Forever People and New Gods when the stronger sales figures came in for Kamandi #1 and Demon #1. All written and drawn by Kirby. Inks by Mike Royer?

I love Kirby but his Jimmy Olsen stuff made no sense whatsoever.  Flippa Dippa???  WTH.  We're supposed to believe this guy always walks around in scuba outfil WITH FLIPPERS just in case there's an underwater emergency????  And why couldnt he just draw Superman's curl???  They had to paste over all his superman faces and many of the jimmy faces too.

55 minutes ago, kav said:

I love Kirby but his Jimmy Olsen stuff made no sense whatsoever.  Flippa Dippa???  WTH.  We're supposed to believe this guy always walks around in scuba outfil WITH FLIPPERS just in case there's an underwater emergency????  And why couldnt he just draw Superman's curl???  They had to paste over all his superman faces and many of the jimmy faces too.

I guess I loved Kirby in the early Marvel books, but generally, when he went to DC, his DC stuff was bad...., then when he returned to Marvel...., to Captain America, Black Panther, Eternals, etc., his work was putrid. :sick: 

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

I guess I loved Kirby in the early Marvel books, but generally, when he went to DC, his DC stuff was bad...., then when he returned to Marvel...., to Captain America, Black Panther, Eternals, etc., his work was putrid. :sick: 

I have to say I agreed with you until about 8 years ago.  I thought Kirby and his spam shaped fingers sucked.  Once I got hooked on Kirby, I loved it all.  Even the Jimmy Olsen stuff altho of course that was far from my favorite.  His art of course was dynamic and energetic.  His stories were indeed goofy but they had an energy to them.  He usually had a 2 page splash in every book that was masterful.  What did you dislike about his DC and later marvels stuff-the stories?

3 minutes ago, kav said:
8 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I have to say I agreed with you until about 8 years ago.  I thought Kirby and his spam shaped fingers sucked.  Once I got hooked on Kirby, I loved it all.  Even the Jimmy Olsen stuff altho of course that was far from my favorite.  His art of course was dynamic and energetic.  His stories were indeed goofy but they had an energy to them.  He usually had a 2 page splash in every book that was masterful.  What did you dislike about his DC and later marvels stuff-the stories?

Mostly the art.  But I don't remember anything redeeming about the stories either.

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

Mostly the art.  But I don't remember anything redeeming about the stories either.

I can understand.  Like I said I used to despise his art and thought people that went ga ga over Kirby were goofy.  It all started when I bought some Kirby Thors as part of a collection and read them.  for some reason I got immediately hooked.  The Colonizers story was especially wonderful to read and look at.  I would definitely go out with Tana Nile even tho she has a giant head.

2 minutes ago, topofthetotem said:

His writing wasn’t the strongest imho at that time.

although I like his art stylistically it seemed to have a motion to it. 

His writing is difficult to describe.  It's like the Evil Dead-a cheap B movie but it is loved by many.

6 minutes ago, topofthetotem said:

As a kid some stories blew me away and he did seem to have an overall grand scheme but it never tied all together in a cogent way at least for me. 

definitely not cogent or tied together.  you can read all the Demon, New Gods or whatever and nothing is really cogent.

2001 might be the most baffling of his efforts.

Just the straight film adaptation he did where HAL was wise cracking-  WTH

43 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I have to agree with you. Post-S.A. Marvels, Kirby was like Art Carney post-Hooneymooners.

2 minutes ago, topofthetotem said:

It like loving 60’s DC’s wacky stories.

bingo

If Kirby had never existed and, say, took over today's Thor title as a new up and coming artist, what do you think people would think? Genius or the new Liefeld?

10 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I think he gets better and better. I love 1970s Kirby.