• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Kirby at DC

99 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

I don't think Jimmy Olsen was DC's lowest seller.  It says in American Comic Book Chronicles: the 70s that it had monthly sales of 333,000, and that Kirby took it because it was reportedly the only DC title that had no regular creative team.

link

I always wondered about why Kirby said that.

9 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

From what I heard Kamandi was his biggest DC seller. It lasted 59 issues with Kirby drawing about 40 of those. Vastly underrated series.

11305-2551-12541-1-kamandi-the-last-bo.jpg     316053-2551-123827-1-kamandi-the-last-bo.jpg

People loved kamandi-read the letters pages.  Maybe it was because of planet of the apes.

Ps that issue with the superman costume was hilarious-apes putting on the suit then being flung on a catapult see see if they could fly.  Nope.  lol 

20 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I have to admit, Kamandi was one of my favorite reads as a kid - 12-13 years old.

At a convention many years ago Mike Royer suggested that as 60's Kirby fans grew and matured, Kirby's stories didn't always grow and mature with them, and that he was still "targeting" the younger readers. He actually got some "boos" from the crowd, and all the others on the panel who agreed with him before the panel began suddenly left him on his own. 

9 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

At a convention many years ago Mike Royer suggested that as 60's Kirby fans grew and matured, Kirby's stories didn't always grow and mature with them, and that he was still "targeting" the younger readers. He actually got some "boos" from the crowd, and all the others on the panel who agreed with him before the panel began suddenly left him on his own. 

Technically Kirby didnt have any stories in the 60s-Stan wrote the dialogue.

47 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

So even back in the day there was a version of over opinionated keyboard warrior, how far we haven't come.

25 minutes ago, topofthetotem said:
1 hour ago, MR SigS said:

So even back in the day there was a version of over opinionated keyboard warrior, how far we haven't come.

So flagrantly Canadian....., :baiting: 

1 hour ago, MR SigS said:
22 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I have to admit, Kamandi was one of my favorite reads as a kid - 12-13 years old.

Actually, that theory makes a lot of sense to me.  Too bad people get so angry at messengers and opinions.

5 hours ago, MR SigS said:

It took me until middle age to finally be able to reassess and truly appreciate the genius of Devil Dinosaur.

I’d walk out as well.

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 hours ago, MR SigS said:

all the others on the panel who agreed with him before the panel began suddenly left him on his own. 

Later dude!!  lol 

7 hours ago, kav said:

Technically Kirby didnt have any stories in the 60s-Stan wrote the dialogue.

Technically...that's nonsense.  In a visual medium, since when does "dialogue" alone count as a whole story?  Have you never watched movies like Castaway or 2001, or anything by Harold Lloyd or Charlie Chaplin?

Kirby plotted damned near everything he drew at Marvel in the '60s, sometimes with coaching or the kernel of an idea from Stan, and sometimes completely on his own.

Cf. Mark Evanier re: "The Marvel Method":

Few understood that the illustrators were writing as much, if not more than, the writer...

I have met and talked with just about everyone who was around then and who was available to talk about it — Ditko, Heck, Brodsky, Goldberg, Ayers, Stan's brother Larry, and even Stan himself. All of them (repeat: all) said...that when Stan came up with "short plot summaries," even Stan said that often, they were practically nothing — just a sentence or two and sometimes verbal — and that often they were the results of brainstorming sessions with the artists, meaning that the artists had the basic ideas.

More here...and elsewhere:

https://www.newsfromme.com/2017/05/29/jacks-year/

I mean, really Kav...this can't possibly be new information to you, especially as a sequential artist...can it?   :facepalm:

Edited by jools&jim

8 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

Technically...that's nonsense.  Since when does "dialogue" alone count as a whole story?  Have you never watched movies like Castaway or 2001, or anything by Harold Lloyd or Charlie Chaplin?

Kirby plotted damned near everything he drew at Marvel in the '60s, sometimes with coaching or the kernel of an idea from Stan, and sometimes completely on his own.

Cf. Mark Evanier re: "The Marvel Method":

More here...and elsewhere:

https://www.newsfromme.com/2017/05/29/jacks-year/

I mean, really Kav...this can't possibly be new information to you, especially as a sequential artist...can it?   :facepalm:

I'll quote Barry Smith here to bolster my assertion that Stan wrote the stories:
"Not only did Stan dialogue the story after I had created it but, marvel of marvels, he ignored my plot and wrote another story entirely over my staging. Remarkable feat, actually."

Ps I personally drew up 6 pages from a -script, had a break up with writer, re arranged the pages and wrote an entirely different short story out of it.

The writer scripted a story about an agency that pulled people's spirits from the dead and got info out of them.  I created a story about an AI policeman that arrested a criminal and it was thrown out of court because when he advised him of his rights, the judge ruled that, as a machine, he had no more legal right to do that than a coffeepot.  It was not difficult in the least.

11 minutes ago, kav said:

I'll quote Barry Smith here to bolster my assertion that Stan wrote the stories:
"Not only did Stan dialogue the story after I had created it but, marvel of marvels, he ignored my plot and wrote another story entirely over my staging. Remarkable feat, actually."

That bolsters nothing.  When Smith finally got a gig at Marvel, he was a snot-nosed Kirby imitator with lots of potential but  ZERO experience in the big leagues. 

He was no Jack Kirby back then, and I am confident that he would surely be the first to admit it.  That Stan re-worked his novice stuff isn't even remotely surprising...

Edited by jools&jim