• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happened?X-men 4 - first appearance of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver and Brotherhood of Mutants sells for $2700. Any input on this? Why so low? 
2 2

23 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, captain_em said:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dx%2Dmen%2B4%2B%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1322493&id=1322493&itemType=0

X-men 4 - first appearance of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver and Brotherhood of Mutants sells for $2700. Any input on this? Why so low? 

2018 average GPA is 2800, 2019 about 3200 this copy looks very over graded to me but in line with sales averages. Is this low for this book? hell no its high this looks 8.0 tops to me.

+1

This is another example of a book that has less eye appeal after being manipulated than it did before.  From the lengthy line of color loss at the top of the spine and another one at the top staple, to the half-completed erasure of the arrival date, it's hard to understand how this book could've received the assigned grade, unless flaws introduced during its manipulation weren't given full consideration.

For comparison, here's another copy of the issue in the same grade, side by side:

X-Men4cgc.jpg.a35fcf70d7230937e21b6873155c8702.jpg  RAD76AC32019530_10639.jpg

Edited by namisgr

17 minutes ago, namisgr said:

+1

This is another example of a book that has less eye appeal after being manipulated than it did before.  From the lengthy line of color loss at the top of the spine and another one at the top staple, to the half-completed erasure of the arrival date, it's hard to understand how this book could've received the assigned grade, unless flaws introduced during its manipulation weren't given full consideration.

For comparison, here's another copy of the issue in the same grade, side by side:

I think its insulting to draw those poor people to the right of Magneto. Those arent mutants,they are just deformed humans.

Shame on you!

19 hours ago, captain_em said:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dx%2Dmen%2B4%2B%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1322493&id=1322493&itemType=0

X-men 4 - first appearance of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver and Brotherhood of Mutants sells for $2700. Any input on this? Why so low? 

You're asking why a book sold cheap at auction?

Because a 2nd bidder didn't bid higher.

Was this your book?

I was following this book and several early ASM's, most of which went a decent bit below what I expected, so there were some soft sales this round on CLink. Could be folks saving up/spending at cons, summer money seems a bit tight. I already spent everything I'd amassed before this auction came up, so I wasn't around to drive the prices up on the books I was watching. As VintageComics alluded to, depends on who's in the game at the time. 

20 hours ago, paul747 said:

2018 average GPA is 2800, 2019 about 3200 this copy looks very over graded to me but in line with sales averages. Is this low for this book? hell no its high this looks 8.0 tops to me.

Thank you. 

16 hours ago, namisgr said:

+1

Yep. I see the difference. Thanks for posting.

1 hour ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I was following this book and several early ASM's, most of which went a decent bit below what I expected, so there were some soft sales this round on CLink. Could be folks saving up/spending at cons, summer money seems a bit tight. I already spent everything I'd amassed before this auction came up, so I wasn't around to drive the prices up on the books I was watching. As VintageComics alluded to, depends on who's in the game at the time. 

Yeah, this crossed my mind once or twice- seasonal effects on prices.  I'm still new to the auction side of CGC comic books. 

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Was this your book?

Regarding your first question-  You asked a "why" question, as I did in my original post. Your answer regarding the bidding process answers a "how" question, not a why question. 

Regarding your second question- Nope, not my book. But I have one in similar grade and I'm trying to get ideas on when to send it to auction. Looks like everyone else got the idea of my OP and gave me some good info. I hope I continue to see more informative responses.

Have yourself a great weekend, my friend!

12 hours ago, captain_em said:
17 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Was this your book?

Regarding your first question-  You asked a "why" question, as I did in my original post. Your answer regarding the bidding process answers a "how" question, not a why question. 

My answer is perfectly valid but there is more than one right answer.

Now if you want to know why there wasn't a 2nd bidder to bid it higher, it's because auction prices are dependant on the quality of the item being bid on. For comics, eye appeal, page quality, timing and many other factors all influence the sales price of an item at auction.

12 hours ago, captain_em said:

Regarding your second question- Nope, not my book. But I have one in similar grade and I'm trying to get ideas on when to send it to auction.

There is no right time. There is no magic formula as to when the best time is (unless of course it was years ago when the book first popped). It all depends on who is bidding at the time.

If you're going to auction something you are at the mercy of the bidders.

Yeah I went ahead and picked one up. Much lower grade than that and raw, but I needed it to complete my run and I just don't think it's ever going to be "cheap" again.. It's softened maybe a tad? Of course it'll stink if it ever drops to pre pandemic prices, but it doesn't seem likely. Least not any time soon. I'd go ahead and get one if you find a decent deal, whatever grade you are looking at. 

On 12/4/2021 at 11:55 PM, speedcake said:

Yeah I went ahead and picked one up. Much lower grade than that and raw, but I needed it to complete my run and I just don't think it's ever going to be "cheap" again.. It's softened maybe a tad? Of course it'll stink if it ever drops to pre pandemic prices, but it doesn't seem likely. Least not any time soon. I'd go ahead and get one if you find a decent deal, whatever grade you are looking at. 

Yeah, I can see this book continuing to cool a bit, but there's no way it goes back to where it was pre-2021.  Wanda seems to be one of the main faces of the MCU going forward, and the fan reaction to her is overwhelmingly positive.