• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the biggest profit you made from a Comic within a Year?
2 2

64 posts in this topic

Just purchased 4 long boxes of comics for $125.   pulled ones I needed to upgrade sold runs of better stuff Batgirl (artgrrm) flashpoint, and some for my own website pulled better titles and bulked out the rest for$260 all told $900 sold for a $125 investment 

11 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Zero.  I can't recall ever owning a comic for less than a year's time.

I was with you and then remembered finding a first Harley Quinn at a pawn shop for fifty cents Canadian and selling it the next day for sixty US dollars.It was low grade and I bought an esoteric fifties comic with the profit.

1 hour ago, eschnit said:

As a percentage or in dollars?  

Which one of these is the better flip?

$25 to $150

$100 to $500

$250 to $900

$700 to $1400

$2500 to $4000

$10000 to $13500

$20000 to $25000

Of course it's the 20k>25k

unless u had multiple quantities of the others which would yield a higher profit

I bought and sold 2 Punch 11s within about  a week.  Not the most money on a deal made or lost or the highest percentage, but interesting enough nonetheless.    Both about the same grade, 1 a slab, the other raw.    If I take all costs into account, shipping, auction fees, taxes, here's my net, again both same week, probably exact same grade.

Raw, paid $250 sold for $900

Slab, auction won $897 plus tax, so say $980, auction sold $685 minus fees say $580

Net, net not much, maybe +$250

I also bought a FF 52 raw for $700 and sold it for $1400 within 24 hours a few years ago.   Again not the biggest flip by dollars or percentage.

I had a bunch of huge flips percentage wise on raw books that I got signed, slabbed, came back 9.8s and rare.   

I bought an Archer & Armstrong Gold 0 for $50, signed by Shooter and Layton slabbed comes back 9.8, traded for Eternal Warrior Gold Flat 9.8 signed by Frank Miller, sold that Miller slab for $1500.  Slabbing, press, fast track and sigs costs etc was I think $70

or so.  So $120 to $1500,  I gave away a flip on a slab a couple months ago that was $6500 to $10k within a week because I was cash poor in the moment. 

4 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Oh great...

index.jpg

We all know the dealers get big deals done all the time, those that see themselves as brokers do plenty of big deals, but they know they're not doing what the big boys are, and then there's collectors like most of us who have stories just because, but for the most part we're all small potatoes and know it, if that's even a thing.  It's also not why we're in it and it's not what we do for a living.  I prefer to be net positive on books I've sold just because it means I'm not being dumb and maybe can buy more books, but I don't think many of us if any measure ourselves that way.

16 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Of course it's the 20k>25k

unless u had multiple quantities of the others which would yield a higher profit

I bought $2500 worth of Valiants raw, filtered out non 9.8s, got the group signed and slabbed at 3 cons in Tampa, Baltimore, and Portland.   The slabbings cost like $2800.   $5300, sold them  all 6-9 months later for $15k or so net when I decided to liquidate.   Wasn't worth the time or effort.  But I'm happy the books exist now for the collectors. 

I have made infinite % profit-got book for free, sold for $50.  Boom.

4 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

A year or so ago, bought a Four Color 456 (Uncle Scrooge 2 "Back to the Klondike") for three figures, sold it a few months later for over 60 x the purchase price.  Downgraded to a copy that made me happy and funded more purchases.

:whatthe: