• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the biggest profit you made from a Comic within a Year?
2 2

64 posts in this topic

Well, if it's absolute dollars you are talking about then for a comic book, I would probably go for this one here:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, All Star Comics #3 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC VF+ 8.5Off-white to white pages....

Unfortunately, I was not the purchaser of this copy here as I am way too poor to ever send anywhere close to the kind of dough it would take to acquire a book like this.  :frown:

Anyways, if we are to believe the Heritage archives, it looks like this copy was purchased for $49,293.75 in late February of 2012 and then resold through their Make An Offer feature for $200K less than a week after that:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Wonder if the original buyer at $49K+ was ever able to get all of the money from Heritage before they carted the subsequent buyer off to jail.  lol

4 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Wolverine #35.

Paid $1.00 for it in June and sold it for cash and trade for $1,200.00 in August. 

Learn something new every day! Can you fill me in more, I see the gpa for 9.8 is over $1000 but is there something more to it?

18 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

This book is notorious for having defects that make it tough in 9.8

This. Actually had two copies but the second sold for a little less. 

41 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if it's absolute dollars you are talking about then for a comic book, I would probably go for this one here:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, All Star Comics #3 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC VF+ 8.5Off-white to white pages....

Unfortunately, I was not the purchaser of this copy here as I am way too poor to ever send anywhere close to the kind of dough it would take to acquire a book like this.  :frown:

Anyways, if we are to believe the Heritage archives, it looks like this copy was purchased for $49,293.75 in late February of 2012 and then resold through their Make An Offer feature for $200K less than a week after that:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Wonder if the original buyer at $49K+ was ever able to get all of the money from Heritage before they carted the subsequent buyer off to jail.  lol

You are a knowledgeable guy, lou_fine

here’s the link to the whole sordid story . . .         https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/22/8870089/texas-comic-book-heist-anthony-chiofalo-tadano

59 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Is that tanning on the right?  Does it look like an 8.5 to anyone?

Walking Dead 19, around 2011-ish I paid $40 for it raw off eBay it was around FMV at that time, I bought it specifically because I had planned to attend a local convention where Kirkman would be, I had it signed by Kirkman and sent off to CGC. By the time it came back (9.6) Walking Dead was peaking in popularity and I sold it for $450.

A long while back I got a JIM #90 (CGC 9.2 wp) from an EBay BIN of $500...that's one of the toughest JIM's in high grade and later that summer I had moved it for roughly $2600...probably the highest % increase I ever achieved selling one book.

5 hours ago, Catwomancomics said:

This book is notorious for having defects that make it tough in 9.8

What should I look for specifically, please? This is cray cray, I know there are other books like this but I need to pay more attention to this type of thing.

off the top of my head...I have

Bought a book last week for $2 and sold it for $16 today after fees. Bought a collection of 9500 books at 75 cents per book and got an IH181 7.0 and X-Men 1 1.5 out of it but I feel that they do not count as they were not purchased individually.

bought some 50 cent books and sold one for $18 a few months ago

bought a $25 books that same batch and sold it for $125

now...on the other hand I have drastically overpaid for a few as well!

11 minutes ago, Bird said:

What should I look for specifically, please? This is cray cray, I know there are other books like this but I need to pay more attention to this type of thing.

maybe this'll help?

6 hours ago, kav said:

Is that tanning on the right?  Does it look like an 8.5 to anyone?

5 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

:popcorn:

For whatever reason my experience is that dust shadows are ignored by CGC as a defect.  At least in 8.5 and below.  Had an otherwise nice Shadow Comics vol 4 no. 2 with a similar dust shadow that also received an 8.5.  Guessing this issue has been discussed here before ...

On 6/29/2019 at 1:30 PM, Bird said:
On 6/29/2019 at 1:26 PM, joeypost said:

Wolverine #35.

Paid $1.00 for it in June and sold it for cash and trade for $1,200.00 in August. 

Learn something new every day! Can you fill me in more, I see the gpa for 9.8 is over $1000 but is there something more to it?

Nothing more than setting one of those CGC 9.8 traps and seeing if you can snare one of those CGC label collectors in time for your little din din.  :jaws:

Shouldn't be too hard to find as they seem to be trolling all over the place and once you do, grab on tight and never ever let go until you squeeze every single last dollar out of them.  :devil:

Most of all, while he's happily giving you his $15K as fast as he can for that CGC 9.8 graded copy of Iron Man 30, never ever let him know that it could also have been his for only a quarter if he had searched around in the 4 for a dollar box and gave some extra special TLC and tighty tight squeezable hugs to the book.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/29/2019 at 6:52 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 6/29/2019 at 6:41 PM, Bird said:

maybe this'll help?

Are you sure we are talking about the same book here?  ???

I just pulled the CGC population census stats for Wolverine #35 from January of 1991 and it indicates a total of 6 copies in CGC 9.8 condition, 13 copies in CGC 9.6 condition, and 14 copies in CGC 9.4 condition.  Total universal population count of 46 copies with only 3 of them in lower than CGC 9.0 graded condition.

With numbers like these and a top of guide valuation of only $5 for what is basically a non-key mid run "nothing" book, it makes me wonder if the overwhelming majority of collectors who don't really follow the graded market would simply never even give a thought to slabbing a book like this.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Nothing more than setting one of those CGC 9.8 traps and seeing if you can snare one of those CGC label collectors in time for your little din din.  :jaws:

Shouldn't be too hard to find as they seem to be trolling all over the place and once you do, grab on tight and never ever let go until you squeeze every single last dollar out of them.  :devil:

Most of all, while he's happily giving you his $15K as fast as he can for that CGC 9.8 graded copy of Iron Man 30, never ever let him know that it could also have been his for only a quarter if he had searched around in the 4 for a dollar box and gave some extra special TLC and tighty tight squeezable hugs to the book.  lol

th2S816RKM.jpg.59c6c0e4acb39a6c19b817c51c09661b.jpg