• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 1 or TOS 39 which to buy?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I’m entertaining the Purchase of either Hulk 1CGC 6.0 for $24,500 or TOS 39 CGC 7.5 for $18.5k. 

First question, Are these pretty good deals?

Second question, which one would you rather get in terms of investment?

Thanks for the advice. I’m still relatively new to the hobby. 

Edited by Bluemedgroup

A Hulk 1 CGC 6.0 recently sold for $23K and another copy $24,600. You can do better on the Hulk 1 waiting for an auction. The TOS 39 for $18.5K doesn't seem bad. Does it have chipping? Both are tough books to guide based off future investment potential. Hulk 1 saw a big rise many years ago, and has been stagnant since. TOS 39 has seen a bit of a jump in sales I believe. Iron Man is of course now dead from Avengers End Game. Sorry if that's a spoiler, if you haven't seen the movie by now that's your fault. So with him out of the picture tough to say how much future potential that book has. Movie stuff aside though, both are great books with the TOS seeming to maybe have more future growth. Could Hulk 1 see a solid rise again someday, possibly, but hasn't been the case so far.

Edited by LDarkseid1

7 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

A Hulk 1 CGC 6.0 recently sold for $23K and another copy $24,600. You can do better on the Hulk 1 waiting for an auction. The TOS 39 for $18.5K doesn't seem bad. Does it have chipping? Both are tough books to guide based off future investment potential. Hulk 1 saw a big rise many years ago, and has been stagnant since. TOS 39 has seen a bit of a jump in sales I believe. Iron Man is of course now dead from Avengers End Game. Sorry if that's a spoiler, if you haven't seen the movie by now that's your fault. So with him out of the picture tough to say how much future potential that book has. Movie stuff aside though, both are great books with the TOS seeming to maybe have more future growth. Could Hulk 1 see a solid rise again someday, possibly, but hasn't been the case so far.

Whoops I made a typo, the price was $24,500 for the Hulk 1. Does that change anything? 

40 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

I’m entertaining the Purchase of either Hulk 1CGC 6.0 for $24,500 or TOS 39 CGC 7.5 for $18.5k. 

First question, Are these pretty good deals?

Second question, which one would you rather get in terms of investment?

Thanks for the advice. I’m still relatively new to the hobby. 

Both of those asking prices are fair, not overpriced at all.  Buy what you want, no one can predict the market or what may turn into a better investment.  I just know that key Marvel books in general are good investments.

1 hour ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Whoops I made a typo, the price was $24,500 for the Hulk 1. Does that change anything? 

In that case yeah solid deal if $24,500. When you said it was $26,500, that still wasn't a horrible price but as I said you could do better at auction, clearly. I don't disagree with Dark Knight, but the numbers are pretty plain and clear on Hulk 1 and I'm not afraid to tell you that it's been flat for many years. But yeah, nearly impossible to speak to what could be a great future investment. Hulk 1 for whatever reason could see a massive rise in 2 years or 5 years or 10 years. No way to know for sure, but in general marvel silver keys are solid investments.

5 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Both of those asking prices are fair, not overpriced at all.  Buy what you want, no one can predict the market or what may turn into a better investment.  I just know that key Marvel books in general are good investments.

agreed. I have always preferred Hulk 1 (earlier book) over TOS 39...

cant lose with either book, assuming they present well. try to avoid cream pages too if possible. iron man most certainly will be back in the MCU so i wouldnt worry too much about that either. and those are great prices, if the books look good. no chipping, etc. 

On 6/29/2019 at 10:24 AM, Jaydogrules said:

I would go for lower grades and get both.  (thumbsu

-J.

This.   If you can afford both in higher grades without raiding the kids' college fund, have at it.   But if you're in it because you love the cool characters, the cool stories, the cultural impact, all that, why care so much about grade that you deny yourself one of the books?   Get 'em both in low grade, and buy some brand new comics (any comics) in uber high grade off the rack.  Then you can read the great key books with the first stories of two characters known and loved worldwide, and you can still marvel at the pristine spine and corners of two new books. 

3 hours ago, bluechip said:

This.   If you can afford both in higher grades without raiding the kids' college fund, have at it.   But if you're in it because you love the cool characters, the cool stories, the cultural impact, all that, why care so much about grade that you deny yourself one of the books?   Get 'em both in low grade, and buy some brand new comics (any comics) in uber high grade off the rack.  Then you can read the great key books with the first stories of two characters known and loved worldwide, and you can still marvel at the pristine spine and corners of two new books. 

Well, I’m actually buying for their college fund lol as an investment.  My wife thinks I’m crazy! Got two kids aged 2 and 1, and I hopefully feel that comics still got room to grow.  I do love both book covers, comic art is still not appreciated enough by the general public. I plan on reading the classics online but am definitely interested in investment potential.  

2 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Well, I’m actually buying for their college fund lol as an investment.  My wife thinks I’m crazy! Got two kids aged 2 and 1, and I hopefully feel that comics still got room to grow.  I do love both book covers, comic art is still not appreciated enough by the general public. I plan on reading the classics online but am definitely interested in investment potential.  

I see that.   I recently had to do yearly accounting for my business' pension (similar to 401K) and realized the current values of the comic-related investments total, conservatively, about 5-6X the money that was initially used to buy them (the actual FMV is more like 10-11X, with some things much higher).    When it's cashed out there will be tax on all of it (the initial funds being tax-deferred), but that will still leave inflation way back in the rear view.

I can't say the coming decades will see the same increases, but when I look at what people are paying for collectibles with far less cultural impact and awareness, it seems like there is room to grow for the stuff that is important, original, vintage (early in the characters' runs) and at least relatively scarce.

On 7/1/2019 at 2:01 PM, Bluemedgroup said:

in the last 6 years that i've been doing this as an investor, it's been great, as @bluechip already stated. no matter what key i bought, a couple years later, i could have sold it and made some good money. in some cases i did, though i have kept most of them.

i also second what he said that it's not at all clear if the next 5-10-15 years will continue at this pace. but it does seem like a smart investing move to get all the marvel keys, if one can afford it. not to mention how much fun it is, compared to investing in just about anything else. investing time and money in the thing you actually love has been the best part about it, for me. 

I think it needs to be pointed out that in ~2007/2008 the market crashed, and with it the value of most collectibles. Comics included. It's not surprising that individuals have seen fairly fantastic gains over the past 10 years. The rebound, along with the introduction of DC and Marvel cinematic universes, have kicked things into high gear.  

Many issues, such as Hulk 1 and TOS 39, have likely already seen the majority of their growth. In fact, you could argue that they'll now likely start to dip a bit as The Hulk and Ironman fall out of the public eye a bit. Whatever you do, don't put all of your eggs in one basket, especially if you're planning on buying at a high point.

5 hours ago, Howling Mad said:

I think it needs to be pointed out that in ~2007/2008 the market crashed, and with it the value of most collectibles. Comics included. It's not surprising that individuals have seen fairly fantastic gains over the past 10 years. The rebound, along with the introduction of DC and Marvel cinematic universes, have kicked things into high gear.  

Many issues, such as Hulk 1 and TOS 39, have likely already seen the majority of their growth. In fact, you could argue that they'll now likely start to dip a bit as The Hulk and Ironman fall out of the public eye a bit. Whatever you do, don't put all of your eggs in one basket, especially if you're planning on buying at a high point.

Great advice.  Everyone hopes to be optimistic, but in reality we all can't win as what goes up must come down.  Agree to not put all eggs in one basket. I'm diversified with common stocks, real estate rental, savings account, and now comic books. 

I might pass on Hulk for now, there might not be much action for him in Marvel's phase 4, but who knows?

7 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Great advice.  Everyone hopes to be optimistic, but in reality we all can't win as what goes up must come down.  Agree to not put all eggs in one basket. I'm diversified with common stocks, real estate rental, savings account, and now comic books. 

I might pass on Hulk for now, there might not be much action for him in Marvel's phase 4, but who knows?

Go with an AF 15 or FF 1, if you don't already have one.