• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is this a Golden Age comics first appearance?

16 posts in this topic

Hi boardies. I have a question that I wanted to get opinions on a first appearance. Why is the Golden Age Sandman Wesley Dodd's first appearance considered to be Adventure Comics 40 and not World's Fair 1939? I understand that the WF is considered a "promo" comic but Submariner, Prince Namor's 1st appearance is also in a promo comic Motion Picture Funnies Weekly April 1939. Any opinions are welcome, just please no smarta** comments as we can have an intelligent discussion without that.

s-l1600 (35).jpg

s-l1600 (36).jpg

12 minutes ago, Batgyro said:

Any opinions are welcome, just please no smarta** comments as we can have an intelligent discussion without that.

I’m sorry, 6 posts and we already need a warning?

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

It’s been discussed before so I’ll just cut and paste the wiki entry:

While the character's first appearance is usually given as Adventure Comics #40 (cover-dated July 1939), he also appeared in DC Comics' 1939 New York World's Fair Comics omnibus, which historians believe appeared on newsstands one to two weeks earlier, while also believing the Adventure Comics story was written and drawn first.Each of the two stories' scripts were credited to the pseudonym "Larry Dean"; Fox wrote the untitled, 10-page story in New York World's Fair #1,while he simply plotted, and Christman scripted, the untitled, six-page story, generally known as "The Tarantula Strikes", in Adventure #40. Creig Flessel, who drew many early Sandman adventures, has sometimes been credited as co-creator on the basis of drawing the Sandman cover of Adventure #40, but no other evidence has surfaced.

32 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Maybe he got a bunch of negative comments on an earlier post and is a bit sensitive about it.  (shrug)

Couple of nice books, though! (thumbsu

No. Just people like the guy above who has to start off with a jerk move instead of trying to actually add something meaningful to the conversation.

CGC by the way also notes it correctly on their labels too. It’s just another unique situation in comics that requires a degree of explanation with the limited space provided on a cases label being, well, limited. As far as both books values it’s up to the market as always which (if any) is more desirable over the other. Me, I’d pick Adventure every time with its full Sandman cover. Of coarse I’d also pick Sensation #1 over All Star #8 so not everyone will ever agree 100% on these matters...hm

8A81925E-35AB-42DA-A1DB-B3CF7AF7E49F.jpeg.346499d90faac6f6d780c089f99ed2c3.jpeg

8105A456-9126-4217-BD0E-E4E1C8D0E162.thumb.jpeg.2b7d9cc8c5e0c318486d8cb3634f9093.jpeg

Also I don’t believe the NY Worlds Fair comics are quite the same as the Motion Picture Funnies book. Both the 1939 and 1940 books were pretty legit distributed comics. I’m not sure if anyone was ever able to prove beyond a doubt that the Motion Picture Funnies book actually did get distributed on any level? 

A more burning question for me always was who colored Superman’s hair blonde on the 1939 NY Worlds Fair comic???hm

2 hours ago, Batgyro said:

No. Just people like the guy above who has to start off with a jerk move instead of trying to actually add something meaningful to the conversation.

GreatCaesarsGhost is a good dude.  You're misreading him.  It's normal around here to give new posters the once over, especially when they post suspicions about others.  It isn't your fault, but there's one guy who was banned and keeps coming back trolling for trouble with new monikers.  

That said, it's obvious you've been registered here for quite awhile, so I don't think anyone is suspecting you of being him.    :foryou: 

37 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Also I don’t believe the NY Worlds Fair comics are quite the same as the Motion Picture Funnies book. Both the 1939 and 1940 books were pretty legit distributed comics. I’m not sure if anyone was ever able to prove beyond a doubt that the Motion Picture Funnies book actually did get distributed on any level? 

A more burning question for me always was who colored Superman’s hair blonde on the 1939 NY Worlds Fair comic???hm

Probably the same beautician who gave The Web a different dye job on three successive issues of Zip Comics starting with his premier!  :grin:

8 hours ago, circumstances said:

I always considerd WF '39 the first appearance of Sandman.

I agree as its release date, the WF 39 has always been a favorite of mine, with the "blond " superman and in my opinion its the first appearance of Sandman in a comic book which appeared on the stands.

12 hours ago, Batgyro said:

How meaningful is this part of the "conversation"?