• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone find nice deals on key CGC comics at conventions?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Everybody wants keys. Something to keep in mind. Did you buy several keys from one dealer? Perhaps you could have gotten a couple on $ off if you had. You get to see the book in person. That’s a plus. 

Nope - not worth your time of you are only looking to grab Silver Age graded keys at a Con for less then ebay prices. They are so hot that no one is blowing them out cheap and with the amount of wall they take up I’d say 10% over ebay prices is pretty reasonable.  No shipping and book in hand that minute does have a cost.

I think finding slabbed DC SA non-major keys at GPA or less is reasonably likely, at least from my experience at both local and large conventions.  I haven't been able to find a >$1000 DC key at FMV for a while.  I don't look at Marvel much anymore, but I imagine it's way less likely.

Edited by NEED MO DAKKA

I have it on good authority that each of the major dealers have reached an agreement that for the rest of the 2019 Convention season all CGC encapsulated key comics will available at half price to anyone who mentions the secret phrase "I'm just looking" when approaching their table .

On 6/30/2019 at 5:01 PM, Callaway29 said:

Deals can be found at local comic book only conventions...or at least, that’s been my experience. Maybe I’m lucky...

The big ones? Forget about it...

And when I say "deals" I mean below GPA...not flipper prices though...

14 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I have it on good authority that each of the major dealers have reached an agreement that for the rest of the 2019 Convention season all CGC encapsulated key comics will available at half price to anyone who mentions the secret phrase "I'm just looking" when approaching their table .

See you in Baltimore.  :banana:

On 6/29/2019 at 12:48 PM, Gruson said:

Went to a con today for the hell of it and most sellers were asking 10-20% above eBay prices...wouldn’t even make deals.  

The best deal on key books is to buy them before they become key books. :gossip: 

if you're spending 5 figures, you might actually get a good deal. i've seen this at a few cons with my big spender buddy. under 10k books, probably not so much. but there are some dealers who are more fairly priced, and willing to deal, than others, that's for sure. 

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:01 PM, Callaway29 said:

Deals can be found at local comic book only conventions...or at least, that’s been my experience. Maybe I’m lucky...

The big ones? Forget about it...

This.  Stick with the smaller local cons, and you'll do well.  Bigger cons, not so much.

The big advantage of buying books at conventions isn't necessarily finding a great price (although that sometimes does happen), but being able to see books in person and hand pick ones that have especially sweet eye appeal.  Not all grade-deducting flaws are alike, and other features don't even typically factor into the structural grade, like cover paper preservation, color strike, staple placement, cover registration, and gloss.

On 6/30/2019 at 11:57 PM, GAMBIT said:

If you are looking for "Deals".. those days are looooong gone.  I saw a hulk 181 1.5 the other day at a local con for $1150 … 

That is :censored: ridiculous. 

On 6/28/2019 at 10:40 PM, Gruson said:

Curious if it’s worth my time to try and make deals on some classic key issues at local cons. Anyone have some stories?  Please share!

or are they typically eBay prices? Thanks 

Yes. If you drop by the Clobberin Time booth at the Edmonton or Calgary Expos, thehumantorch and Artboy99 are behind the market in pricing some of their keys. :gossip:

Edited by kimik