• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your IW Reprints!
3 3

120 posts in this topic

Picked this up in a dollar box yesterday. A beater but only a buck. I even think this might be a new cover. I know over the many years I've been collecting I've had many of these and probably still do just lurking in my boxes. Since they are just reprints, they have never seen a lot of value. The titles and genres are all over the place. I was recently offered a couple nice Avon sci-fi ones but I thought the price to be way too stiff,  besides, I already had the originals.

Anybody have any history on these? Is there a comprehensive list of them without going page by page through Overstreet?

Post 'em if you've got them!

comkaanga8IW.jpg

I remember getting the Space Detective reprint at a flea market for some pocket change as a kid in the early seventies. I thought I had a real winner there but even then these got no love in the price guide. Still it was a great comic.

I recall reading the history of these (maybe Comic Book Marketplace) and as I recall the publisher somehow got hold of the original printer's plates or stats and decided to publish them himself with no notice or notification to the original copyright holders.  Eventually he was threatened with legal action and stopped as I recall.

An interesting side note in comics history. I also always got a kick out of the Top Comics reprints Western published; an odd list of books too.

Some cool ones being posted. Do us a favor though. If can list what is inside, it would be good to know. Some, like the Avons maybe had a sci-fi-fi cover with a different title. Some had totally different contents. These seem to be real random in the way they were produced. 

21 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Some cool ones being posted. Do us a favor though. If can list what is inside, it would be good to know. Some, like the Avons maybe had a sci-fi-fi cover with a different title. Some had totally different contents. These seem to be real random in the way they were produced. 

Wish I remembered where I read the history on these. It was a real nickel and dime operation though and completely violated all copyright and trademark laws.

Wikipedia indicates there was this article but it is not the one I read. They also have a table of all issues and source material.

Brennan, T. Casey."The Untold History of I.W. Comics," The Comics Journal #57 (June 1980), pp. 118–119

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

17 hours ago, stock_rotation said:

ziggy_pig_IW_001_01.jpg.a04187aa4d270684f9aa1019006c5262.jpg

Ziggy Pig 1 (reprints Krazy Komics 017)

ziggy_pig_(iw_enterprises)_007_01.jpg.15e3ba921ffd4d6369097eea751c0ed3.jpg

Ziggy Pig 7 (also reprints Krazy Komics 017)

I'm looking for the IW Ziggy Pig 8, if anyone has one!

Thanks for posting these. It's great to know what is in them as they seem so random. A lot of the covers seem new as well. Some are re-used with different logos and different contents.