• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shannon Maer - Artist for 2020
2 2

101 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Convincing you that this site is not the same as others is an effort of futility. Your mind
has been made up for a long time.

This site has grown organically over time. Other sites are more interested in monotonizing
their sites and thus lean harder toward speculation to attract members to "grow" their site.

Its not the same thing and I doubt you want to understand that.

“...monetizing their sites...”

That is the exact reason for this forum. Their are selling a service. You can’t be this naive.

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:
22 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Convincing you that this site is not the same as others is an effort of futility. Your mind
has been made up for a long time.

This site has grown organically over time. Other sites are more interested in monotonizing
their sites and thus lean harder toward speculation to attract members to "grow" their site.

Its not the same thing and I doubt you want to understand that.

“...monetizing their sites...”

That is the exact reason for this forum. Their are selling a service. You can’t be this naive.

The difference being I get zero emails, solicitations, and offers from this website. Zero.
They don't need to sell me a service. Heck they don't even have to have this forum website, but they do.
I am well aware of their services. Many here don't even slab books. The information here has been built for quite a long time. In fact other
new sites leech from here daily and on one complains that I know of.

You know how many emails daily I get from others sites? From several sites I get daily emails advertising this shop
or that shop.Telling me that I can solicit thru them to just send an email to inquire on rates and what they can offer me. 
Free giveaways, contest, drawings and so on. Nothing wrong with any of that, but don't try to tell me they are not trying
to monotonize their site. You live in denial on this part and continue to do so. 

Edited by fastballspecial

On 6/30/2019 at 1:03 PM, Jackhartmann said:

I am a fan of his work. I like his recent Harley Quinn. HOUSE OF X #1 SHANNON MAER VARIANT featuring Emma Frost is another one that I bought just now. 

pics or it didn't happen :sumo: 

On 7/4/2019 at 6:08 PM, fastballspecial said:

The difference being I get zero emails, solicitations, and offers from this website. Zero.
They don't need to sell me a service. Heck they don't even have to have this forum website, but they do.
I am well aware of their services. Many here don't even slab books. The information here has been built for quite a long time. In fact other
new sites leech from here daily and on one complains that I know of.

You know how many emails daily I get from others sites? From several sites I get daily emails advertising this shop
or that shop.Telling me that I can solicit thru them to just send an email to inquire on rates and what they can offer me. 
Free giveaways, contest, drawings and so on. Nothing wrong with any of that, but don't try to tell me they are not trying
to monotonize their site. You live in denial on this part and continue to do so. 

You don't get any emails from CGC? None about registry set awards, new character labels, when and where their graded books will be sold at auction houses, etc...

hm

Do you just get the ones about grading concert posters then?

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

You don't get any emails from CGC? None about registry set awards, new character labels, when and where their graded books will be sold at auction houses, etc...

hm

Do you just get the ones about grading concert posters then?

Zero and has been that way for a long time because I went back and looked. I cant
find one. I will caveat that with saying years ago I might have opted out at some point.

They only messages I get are from my PMs from boardies that's it.

They don't have to sell me anything. People come to them.
If I want any of that information I just come to the forum and find it.

14 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Zero and has been that way for a long time because I went back and looked. I cant
find one. I will caveat that with saying years ago I might have opted out at some point.

They only messages I get are from my PMs from boardies that's it.

They don't have to sell me anything. People come to them.
If I want any of that information I just come to the forum and find it.

I guess you are naive then. People don't spend time and money to create a chat forum that has $0 membership fee and not have an ulterior motive. Do you think all the changes to the board were also done free of charge?

11 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I guess you are naive then. People don't spend time and money to create a chat forum that has $0 membership fee and not have an ulterior motive. Do you think all the changes to the board were also done free of charge?

I guess I am then and that's okay. Id much rather be naïve here then 
somewhere else.

I could care less what CGC does with their site.  I don't get emails and I actually 
make quite a bit of money using this site,  last few years so I am perfectly 
fine with the way it is. Lets remember that you sell here as well.   

Your attempt to paste this site like all the others is just time consuming and
wasteful on your part. Its not my job to make you see the futility of your actions.
This site will be here much longer then the sites you are defending.

You get told this repeatedly by multiple boardies. I have to admire you at least
for the effort. We just have different viewpoints.

13 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I guess I am then and that's okay. Id much rather be naïve here then 
somewhere else.

I could care less what CGC does with their site.  I don't get emails and I actually 
make quite a bit of money using this site,  last few years so I am perfectly 
fine with the way it is. Lets remember that you sell here as well.   

Your attempt to paste this site like all the others is just time consuming and
wasteful on your part. Its not my job to make you see the futility of your actions.
This site will be here much longer then the sites you are defending.

You get told this repeatedly by multiple boardies. I have to admire you at least
for the effort. We just have different viewpoints.

So tell me this, since the CGC forums will be here longer, how are they paying for this site? Or are they just getting everything for free somehow?

Also, I've never said this site is just like other sites. In fact, I have made many points as to how sites all have different types of content.

On 7/4/2019 at 6:08 PM, fastballspecial said:

Just came through...

Doc3.jpg

Edited by ygogolak

8 hours ago, ygogolak said:

So tell me this, since the CGC forums will be here longer, how are they paying for this site? Or are they just getting everything for free somehow?

Also, I've never said this site is just like other sites. In fact, I have made many points as to how sites all have different types of content.

:facepalm:

None of that makes this a spec site, which was your claim.

Of course there's a reason for this site to exist, but that reason is not to promote speculation, unlike the other sites.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

14 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Of course there's a reason for this site to exist, but that reason is not to promote speculation, unlike the other sites.

I would love to see some of these sites that strictly promote speculation. Because people don't want to give anything away for free anymore. Have any links?

17 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

I think the fallacy of this argument is that it assumes there is one thing, one reason for the CGC boards or for any website. 

Image result for curly one thing

I think this is an overly simplistic way to see people's motivations and the world generally.  Usually there are about 5 reasons for anything and even the most astute observers are really lucky to figure out three of those reasons.  Why are the CGC Boards  here, why are the members here?  In the most general terms, the CGC Boards exist to make money for CGC, to promote their product by giving collectors (including flippers, speculators, weekend warriors, Ebay retailers and guys living in their Grandma's basement) a place to talk about comics.  Certainly there are other finer points, the boards provide buying and selling opportunities for members, event promotions, Q&A and all sorts of other functions.  Maybe when the boards launched the primary motivation was altruistic and it was to provide a forum for people passionate about comics to talk about comics.  Maybe the guy who was the head of IT was lonely and just wanted a place to converse with other people and didn't have the social skills to do it.  I don't know the answer and I certainly don't think it really matters in anyway whatsoever.  

What I do think matters is this ugly sentiment that people who are good at buying and selling comics are some how bad.  Frankly the "comic speculation is bad" argument probably has more to do with unhealed trauma from the 90's market crash than anything logical or reasonable, but I'm not here to psychoanalyze.  That being said did you ever notice that the people who are the most homophobic tend to have unresolved -erotic fantasies?  I think the most vocal critics of speculation tend to be the biggest speculators (who are probably sad about their spculative prospects in the same way that the closeted homosexual is sad about their dating prospects).  

I really would encourage you to not get bogged down in "speculator bad" kind of arguments or analogs.  They aren't persuasive.  Retailers do it by their very nature and a collectors market invites it because it deals in the trade of items that fluctuate in value.  Do the CGC Boards invite speculation?  You bet your a$s they do.  If they didn't they wouldn't offer pre-screening, fast track, pressing, cleaning or slabing to begin with.  When you are dealing with commodities that appreciate in value based upon emotional attachment and nostalgia everyone is basically a hoarder or a speculator.  I'm afraid that the voices of the hoarders have become increasingly loud because of the shame they feel about being so attached to their belongings.  "Why are these other people able to sell their books without feeling empty like I do?" :frustrated: I accept hoarders and speculators and really anyone that doesn't try and cheat people or take advantage of people in the hobby we all love so much.  It is improper to conflate the con artists and investors and to do so is an immature critique.  2c

4 hours ago, Nico Esq said:
21 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

I think the fallacy of this argument is that it assumes there is one thing, one reason for the CGC boards or for any website. 

That is incorrect.

That's not what Lazyboy said, nor implied.

"There's a reason for this site to exist" does not mean "There's only one reason for this site to exist."