• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shannon Maer - Artist for 2020
2 2

101 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

You can choose to see what you want. I'll be over here in reality whenever you want to join us.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT

Rating spec books

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!

Comics Scene 31

Die,Naomi,Oblivion song,Pearl

Speculation is an element of the conversation here, but this is much more than a "spec site"

8 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Speculation is an element of the conversation here, but this is much more than a "spec site"

Almost all "spec. sites" are. They contain information on new comics and report on sales. Just like this one.

Edited by ygogolak

6 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Maybe, but the people doing the speculating here aren't the people running the site. That's the big difference.

LOL, no, the people that run this site could buy every spec. site if they wanted based on their business. The owners of this site thrive off of speculation.

21 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Correct. That is not even close to being the primary purpose here, unlike some sites. Calling the CGC boards a spec site is like calling a stadium a music theater because it occasionally hosts concerts.

6 hours ago, ygogolak said:

You can choose to see what you want. I'll be over here in reality whenever you want to join us.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!

:facepalm: The "heating up" threads are (meant to) reflect what is happening (and has happened), not what might happen. That's not speculation.

15 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Correct. That is not even close to being the primary purpose here, unlike some sites. Calling the CGC boards a spec site is like calling a stadium a music theater because it occasionally hosts concerts.

That's a terrible false equivalency, but I will bit because indeed stadiums / arenas are not created solely as a sports venue. They would not be profitable if they were. Hmm...did someone say profit on a board that grades comic books?

15 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

:facepalm: The "heating up" threads are (meant to) reflect what is happening (and has happened), not what might happen. That's not speculation.

1. I posted 5 threads that were simply from the first two pages of the Modern's section. Not the entire board, not the entire section, two pages. There are many that come on here to simply look at those type of threads.

2. Take a look at the latest posts which are cross-posted in the Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT thread.

3. Pretty much any "spec site", as they are lumped under one blanket, report current market trends, not solely speculation. That is part of the appeal and what many new to the market of selling now think is speculation.

In general "spec sites" as they are referred to are very similar in nature to the status of all comic book social media sites. They post news on current stories and trending topics in the comic book realm. Since the demise of Google +, the more popular and heavily moderated "spec sites" have moved to other social media platforms such as Facebook, MeWe, Reedit and chat forums (CGC).  These larger user platforms have become troublesome to moderate for people that are not getting paid to do so. If you visit these sites now you will see that they are littered with information that is not relevant to speculation. Maybe 25% is actual speculation, 25% is market reporting and 50% are general questions from new comic buyers / sellers (How do I get a book graded? What's the grade of this? Should I sell or hold this? Here are my Wednesday pickups...etc.., much of the like can be found on CGC)

Convincing you that this site is not the same as others is an effort of futility. Your mind
has been made up for a long time.

This site has grown organically over time. Other sites are more interested in monotonizing
their sites and thus lean harder toward speculation to attract members to "grow" their site.

Its not the same thing and I doubt you want to understand that.

Edited by fastballspecial