• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shannon Maer - Artist for 2020
2 2

101 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The CGC board is not a "spec site", any more than it is a "show off your new purchases" site, or an "eBay sucks canal water", or a "CGC announcement" site, even though those are all activities which take place here.

You ever take a look a Facebook speculation groups? They have all those “qualities”.

Edited by ygogolak

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

You ever take a look a Facebook speculation groups? They have all those “qualities”.

You're really having a hard time understanding this, aren't you? o.O

12 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

I think the fallacy of this argument is that it assumes there is one thing, one reason for the CGC boards or for any website. 

Image result for curly one thing

I think this is an overly simplistic way to see people's motivations and the world generally.  Usually there are about 5 reasons for anything and even the most astute observers are really lucky to figure out three of those reasons.  Why are the CGC Boards  here, why are the members here?  In the most general terms, the CGC Boards exist to make money for CGC, to promote their product by giving collectors (including flippers, speculators, weekend warriors, Ebay retailers and guys living in their Grandma's basement) a place to talk about comics.  Certainly there are other finer points, the boards provide buying and selling opportunities for members, event promotions, Q&A and all sorts of other functions.  Maybe when the boards launched the primary motivation was altruistic and it was to provide a forum for people passionate about comics to talk about comics.  Maybe the guy who was the head of IT was lonely and just wanted a place to converse with other people and didn't have the social skills to do it.  I don't know the answer and I certainly don't think it really matters in anyway whatsoever.  

What I do think matters is this ugly sentiment that people who are good at buying and selling comics are some how bad.  Frankly the "comic speculation is bad" argument probably has more to do with unhealed trauma from the 90's market crash than anything logical or reasonable, but I'm not here to psychoanalyze.  That being said did you ever notice that the people who are the most homophobic tend to have unresolved -erotic fantasies?  I think the most vocal critics of speculation tend to be the biggest speculators (who are probably sad about their spculative prospects in the same way that the closeted homosexual is sad about their dating prospects).  

I really would encourage you to not get bogged down in "speculator bad" kind of arguments or analogs.  They aren't persuasive.  Retailers do it by their very nature and a collectors market invites it because it deals in the trade of items that fluctuate in value.  Do the CGC Boards invite speculation?  You bet your a$s they do.  If they didn't they wouldn't offer pre-screening, fast track, pressing, cleaning or slabing to begin with.  When you are dealing with commodities that appreciate in value based upon emotional attachment and nostalgia everyone is basically a hoarder or a speculator.  I'm afraid that the voices of the hoarders have become increasingly loud because of the shame they feel about being so attached to their belongings.  "Why are these other people able to sell their books without feeling empty like I do?" :frustrated: I accept hoarders and speculators and really anyone that doesn't try and cheat people or take advantage of people in the hobby we all love so much.  It is improper to conflate the con artists and investors and to do so is an immature critique.  2c

You know, it's too bad we're not allowed to have vigorous debates on this board. There are a lot of things worth addressing in your post.

Oh well. 

3 hours ago, Jackhartmann said:

I’m viewing this on my phone, but does something look off to anyone else?

10F713F2-EF08-4A3E-878A-D73FEE204135.thumb.jpeg.88e1ee20b0d7e25527ebb102a95adfc1.jpeg

If not, please carry on. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

The Harley Quinn dceased variant was God awful. That Ghost spider variant isn't doing him any favors either. I personally don't like the art, and there are many artists more deserving of praise than this digital stuff. That said if you like it that's ok too, I just don't get the hype for his art. 

The Emma Frost one is the best by far though.  

Edited by maidenmate91

Wow  3 pages of complete bullsqueeze and two comments out of them pertaining to the the post.

I only have the Maer Vampirella Valentine Special cover. I wasnt aware of him before then and definitely will be watching out for more of his work on characters I like.