• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 102

16 posts in this topic

I think with clean and press 6.5 - 7 maybe but that staple damage I don't think will go away with a press and there's some blue at top of back cover as well as looks like color breaking spine ticks (I see some white from photos) but could be wrong Best of luck 

46 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

I think with clean and press 6.5 - 7 maybe but that staple damage I don't think will go away with a press and there's some blue at top of back cover as well as looks like color breaking spine ticks (I see some white from photos) but could be wrong Best of luck 

The staple was that way from the start,(looks like they used an oversize staple?) the blue mark on the back is a marking across the top of the book 

that was done by the retailer or someone prior to sale I'm hoping for 7.0 or 7.5

not an expert pressor either but I would be worried as with a press that staple might poke through and cause more damage as your applying heat and pressure to a staple that is already protruding on my copy I don't see something like that and its a 5.5 mostly because of some creasing and bends as I had to slabbed way before pressing was a thing.

2 hours ago, Krishosein said:

not an expert pressor either but I would be worried as with a press that staple might poke through and cause more damage as your applying heat and pressure to a staple that is already protruding on my copy I don't see something like that and its a 5.5 mostly because of some creasing and bends as I had to slabbed way before pressing was a thing.

That had crossed my mind as well, the store I use does cleaning and pressing before shipping and grading

I plan to talk with him before doing anything.I really don't get why the staple is like that,it wasn't due to mishandling 

I wonder if it can be fixed to some degree.It may be the best to let it be as is.

Edited by ben parker
misspelling

10 minutes ago, ben parker said:

That had crossed my mind as well, the store I use does cleaning and pressing before shipping and grading

I plan to talk with him before doing anything.I really don't get why the staple is like that,it wasn't due to mishandling 

I wonder if it can be fixed to some degree.It may be the best to let it be as is.

I would wonder if maybe it was pressed before and the pressing caused the staple to go through like that or maybe some books where piled on it before and it had a lot of pressure on it causing the this kind of damage. Are you the OO if some maybe then you would know. 

10 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

I would wonder if maybe it was pressed before and the pressing caused the staple to go through like that or maybe some books where piled on it before and it had a lot of pressure on it causing the this kind of damage. Are you the OO if some maybe then you would know. 

Yes I am,it has been bagged and boarded for years.I am 95% certain it was never handled or stored in such a way as to cause that

I was away at college some of the time but I doubt that anyone would have moved it while I was gone

Those folks are long since dead so I will never know for sure.

I am also in the 6.5-7.0 range. Sucks the staples have left those pressure marks. I store my copy of this issue separately (as well as other squarebounders) to prevent too many comics leaning or pressing against it and pushing those thick staples through. 

57 minutes ago, ben parker said:

Yes I am,it has been bagged and boarded for years.I am 95% certain it was never handled or stored in such a way as to cause that

I was away at college some of the time but I doubt that anyone would have moved it while I was gone

Those folks are long since dead so I will never know for sure.

I am guessing than maybe you had to many books in the box and it was pressing hard against it or it was to tight to and the pages because someone soft over the ages etc.. to cause the pages to weaken and the pressure from storage to affect it. 

46 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

I am guessing than maybe you had to many books in the box and it was pressing hard against it or it was to tight to and the pages because someone soft over the ages etc.. to cause the pages to weaken and the pressure from storage to affect it. 

It is possible I guess, but over the past 30 years or so the books have been stored in an upright position in a long box.

13 minutes ago, ben parker said:

It is possible I guess, but over the past 30 years or so the books have been stored in an upright position in a long box.

well there can be a range of possibilities such as was the comic bagged and boarded or loosely stored, was the long box to full or too lose and maybe a lean occurred long boxes are quite heavy and any slight lean and put unequal pressure etc.. so many variables such as climate, heat, moisture etc... . unfortunately nothing can be done as the damage has occurred. Sorry.  Best of luck I hope it presses nicely and gets a decent grade for you if you go that route. I would have a pro look at it for pressing through.