• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN on Netflix (TBD)
7 7

506 posts in this topic

After years of rumors and failed attempts, ‘The Sandman’ is nearing a deal for a television series, at Netflix. The show is adapting the Vertigo comic book of the same name, from writer Neil Gaiman (‘American Gods,’ ‘Good Omens’).

Allan Heinberg would serve as writer and showrunner on the series. He has both a story and screenplay credit on another recent DC project, Patty Jenkins’ ‘Wonder Woman.’ His other credits include ‘Grey’s Anatomy,’ ‘Scandal,’ and ‘The Catch.’

The premise of the dark fantasy is below:

“A story about stories and how Morpheus, the Lord of Dreams, is captured and subsequently learns that sometimes change is inevitable.”

Moreover, if the deal finalizes, this will become the most expensive TV series from DC Entertainment. Gaiman and David S. Goyer (‘Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice,’ ‘Krypton’) would serve as executive producers.

11 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

Does Gaiman own Morpheus as Sandman?

Does he own any of the characters?

I know Vertigo was a lot of creator owned stuff in the beginning, but since this was an "update" to Golden age Sandman, is he a DC property?

DC owns Sandman.

However, the promotional materials (and show itself) will cite Gaiman as the creator -- as the Netflix show "Lucifer" currently does. (The DC comics version of Lucifer first appeared in Sandman # 4).

Source: http://www.neilgaiman.com/FAQs/Sandman

If this show can match what they did with Season 4 of Lucifer on Netflix, or how American Gods has panned out on Starz, then it should be a fun ride. 

Hopefully this leads to Netflix or DC streaming adopting more of the Vertigo titles for ongoing series. There are other fun titles they can pursue. Something like 100 Bullets could be a wild ride and should be relatively cheap to produce.

Edited by kimik

8 minutes ago, kimik said:

Something like 100 Bullets could be a wild ride and should be relatively cheap to produce.

At one point Tom Hardy was attached to a 100 Bullets TV show in early development. But then it never moved forward.

It would be cool if this could help move such projects along.

21 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

On a scale of 1-10, how good is the entire comic series?

Gonna say it gets a 10 simply to due to its literary merit, which eclipsed pretty much anything that came before it (closest thing I can think of that had such a literary impact before Sandman would be Watchmen)

Just now, Sauce Dog said:

Gonna say it gets a 10 simply to due to its literary merit, which eclipsed pretty much anything that came before it (closest thing I can think of that had such a literary impact before Sandman would be Watchmen)

Looks like I will be picking up all of the Absolute Editions soon, then...

Out of all the comics I own, I only have two that are perpetually kept within sight & reaching distance in our living room for any guests that want to read em ( Sandman #18 "Dream of a Thousand Cats", and Sandman #50 "Ramadan"). There are a few other TPBs in the room, but nothing else laid out on the coffee/side table so casually. 

Swamp Thing Sets Up Sandman, Could it Connect to the Netflix Show?

A scene in the latest episode of Swamp Thing starts to set up events that could tie into to Netflix' upcoming adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Sandman. While there's no official connection between the shows, the fact that Swamp Thing would start to tease elements from the traditional Sandman story while a Sandman show is in the works is particularly interesting. Especially if it could lead to a fun new role for one of Swamp Thing's lead actors.

The Swamp Thing and Sandman comics were among the DC Comics horror titles that carried over into the adults-only imprint Vertigo Comics in 1993. While not originally intended to be fully separated from the mainstream DC Universe, these series and their spin-offs eventually congealed into their own shared universe. Last year, DC Comics revived this concept with a new Sandman Universe, which ironically is now being published by DC Comics following the end of the Vertigo line earlier this year.

In the comics, Matthew Cable, a friend of Alec Holland and a later ally of the Swamp Thing, was one of the stronger ties between the various titles making up the Vertigo Universe. During the course of his adventures, Cable developed severe alcoholism and a weak ability to alter reality. This made him an inviting target for Swamp Thing's arch-enemy, Anton Arcane, after Cable was fatally wounded during a drunk driving incident. Anton possessed Cable's body for a time, but Cable was eventually able to force Anton's damned spirit out, before finally dying in a coma. Since Cable was dreaming when he died, he became eligible for a second chance at a new life as a dream raven, whom Dream of the Endless (aka The Sandman) employs as a spy, herald, and messenger. First appearing in The Sandman #11, it would be several issues before Matthew The Raven would be confirmed to be Matthew Cable.

The-Sandman-Matthew-the-Raven-and-Fiddle

On 7/9/2019 at 12:59 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

On a scale of 1-10, how good is the entire comic series?

Seriously - it broke the mold of what could be done in the medium.

Personal favorite issues include #s 10, 13, 18, 19, 38, 50, & 52.

Yes, most of those stories are now nearly 30 years old, but Gaiman's epic 75-issue run led directly to...say Garth Ennis's break-out on Hellblazer, 100 Bullets, Fables, and more.

I'm going to stick to my comment from the modern thread concerning this show. I really think you are going to need some really out there/brilliant directors to even approach the quality of the comics. It is really hard for me to imagine anyone doing justice to these stories otherwise.

8 hours ago, Mr Sneeze said:

I'm going to stick to my comment from the modern thread concerning this show. I really think you are going to need some really out there/brilliant directors to even approach the quality of the comics. It is really hard for me to imagine anyone doing justice to these stories otherwise.

I think I know a fella....

14 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yes, most of those stories are now nearly 30 years old, but Gaiman's epic 75-issue run led directly to...say Garth Ennis's break-out on Hellblazer, 100 Bullets, Fables, and more.

I'm actually purchasing the entire series today.

Really looking forward to reading it all.

16 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Ish 13 is one of my favorites!

”Death’s a mugs game, I’ll not play it!” :banana: