• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thor 337 ... Help identify the source of the damage.
1 1

24 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, nepatkm said:

To much space between the encapsulated area for just a book shift, and yes the staples would pull at that point. 😔

I believe in many instances the entire book can move in that interior well, so it may not pull on the staples.

31 minutes ago, GACollectibles said:

I believe in many instances the entire book can move in that interior well, so it may not pull on the staples.

True

22 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't believe that it was done in encapsulation... otherwise there'd be no tear

No. Not necessarily due to encapsulation. Of course, I imagine it can occur, but deformation of overhang can occur at any time, and if pushed down over the pages at any point along the spine, non-uniformly, as this is (abruptly, at some point along the spine for a limited area), at the start of that downturn, rom pressure or impact, a tear may or may not result. Plenty of books with overhang are impacted just like this, without ever being slabbed. I'm not saying it can't happen in slabbing; just that the origin of it cannot be positively determined.

14 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

No. Not necessarily due to encapsulation. Of course, I imagine it can occur, but deformation of overhang can occur at any time, and if pushed down over the pages at any point along the spine, non-uniformly, as this is (abruptly, at some point along the spine for a limited area), at the start of that downturn, rom pressure or impact, a tear may or may not result. Plenty of books with overhang are impacted just like this, without ever being slabbed. I'm not saying it can't happen in slabbing; just that the origin of it cannot be positively determined.

I agree.... that's why I followed it up with, it's got the correct grade on it...

It fits the description so probably didn't happen in encapsulation lol

I could have sworn that's what I wrote in the first place haha, so thanks Johnson for letting me correct it... :foryou: