• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting Stan's Soapbox
1 1

8 posts in this topic

"Well we know you're not happy with the way your favorite characters are depicted on film and TV, but HONESTLY it's not our fault! It's the TV/film producers fault!!

But fear not! We've decided to hire the TV/film producer guy to make changes to our ENTIRE marvel universe, so now you don't have to worry about them changing in the movies!!"

I work with many 20-ish to early 30's people, all of whom utterly adore all the comic book movies and TV shows and toys and cons and cosplay and so forth.  They endlessly discuss the films and shows aand all the speculation leading up to opening day, they cosplay their favorite characters at work, one is working on full tattoo sleeves (one Avengers, one Star Wars), a few collect toys related to the comics... but not one reads a comic book.  Ever.  Not even digitally, before you head down that path for possible redemption.  I've tried to interest a few of them, offering small runs of Avengers or Hulk, graphic novels and so forth.  The movies are amazingly cool and absolute must-see events on opening day (true story: the manager had us at less than half staff on Endgame opening Friday because he is such a fan and everybody else HAD to go.  This is a food service delivery business, usually with 20 drivers on a Friday night.  We had 8.  I've never worked such a disaster of a night, thanks to a movie) but the comics from which they are drawn... completely contemptible.  

Over 30 years of reading and following comics, and I'm still the weirdo for actually READING... and that I dislike some of the films because of how much they deviate from the books?  Never would I have suspected my strange little hobby could become so mainstream cool, while the actual hobby that is the basis for all that they claim to love is almost totally ignored and even viewed as unnecessary and antiquated and for OLD PEOPLE who still READ (insert snotty sigh and eye roll here).

I don't even hate the movies and shows, honestly.  Not all of them, not completely.  I like a few, a bit.  I wouldn't emigrate to Logan510's Island, not just yet, anyway.  But I feel closer to that attitude with every new release that comes along.

I'm just... truly baffled.

It only took 40 years for costume and CGI technology to catch up with Stan's vision for what these characters SHOULD have been like on TV back in the day.

One of the retro cable networks re-runs The Incredible Hulk every morning, and after catching a few of these, the show actually is better than I remembered, especially those where they're trying to stretch a by curing Banner, introducing an older second Hulk, etc.  I'm sure the budget for the show was ridiculously small by today's standards, so they were pretty limited in that regard.

Doesn't excuse the live-action Spider-Man show, though.......

4 hours ago, architeuthis said:

I work with many 20-ish to early 30's people, all of whom utterly adore all the comic book movies and TV shows and toys and cons and cosplay and so forth.  They endlessly discuss the films and shows aand all the speculation leading up to opening day, they cosplay their favorite characters at work, one is working on full tattoo sleeves (one Avengers, one Star Wars), a few collect toys related to the comics... but not one reads a comic book.  Ever.  Not even digitally, before you head down that path for possible redemption.  I've tried to interest a few of them, offering small runs of Avengers or Hulk, graphic novels and so forth.  The movies are amazingly cool and absolute must-see events on opening day (true story: the manager had us at less than half staff on Endgame opening Friday because he is such a fan and everybody else HAD to go.  This is a food service delivery business, usually with 20 drivers on a Friday night.  We had 8.  I've never worked such a disaster of a night, thanks to a movie) but the comics from which they are drawn... completely contemptible.  

Over 30 years of reading and following comics, and I'm still the weirdo for actually READING... and that I dislike some of the films because of how much they deviate from the books?  Never would I have suspected my strange little hobby could become so mainstream cool, while the actual hobby that is the basis for all that they claim to love is almost totally ignored and even viewed as unnecessary and antiquated and for OLD PEOPLE who still READ (insert snotty sigh and eye roll here).

I don't even hate the movies and shows, honestly.  Not all of them, not completely.  I like a few, a bit.  I wouldn't emigrate to Logan510's Island, not just yet, anyway.  But I feel closer to that attitude with every new release that comes along.

I'm just... truly baffled.

The stories are better in the original written media -- pretty much always the case.  Having said that, the MCU has done an incredible job of packing the Marvel Lore into the movies so far.