• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To post or not to post...?
2 2

23 posts in this topic

That is the question. I find myself having just acquired a grail level McSpidey cover (for me).  Its my second. I love the gratification of posting on CAF and getting comments but I also like the 'fresh to market' element if/when i sell (cant be buried with it afterall). 

Poll time: Post or Private? 

22 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

I buy art because I like it not thinking about value of selling it later. I like posting on CAF to share with others, in turn hope they share their collections. about 20 years ago when people where just strting to share art online we had the Comicart-L where we could only post 5 pieces at a time. When Bill Cox started Comicartfans it blew the doors open! Collectors could post so much more art from their collections plus many black hole collectors who had never shared art on-line started posting in CAF. I love CAF it has encouraged collectors to share their collection, many pieces I would never be able to afford but great to see the originals.

I hear ya. And I almost always post. But figured I'd see where folks are at on this topic. 

The only folks who shouldn't post their art are those who don't want to, for whatever reason.
If you want to post your art, post it!  :D

(I don't think either way you'll regret your decision)

It's a hobby, it's great to share what you enjoy with other fans and collectors who enjoy similar or the same works you enjoy.

It's great to share what you enjoy (Your collection) on CAF, in books and in shows.

95% of my stuff is on CAF for all to enjoy. (5% will post when I get time)

Zaddick

I've been coming around to the viewpoint that the more I post, the more expensive the next attempted purchase becomes - or, seen from another perspective, the harder others work to thwart the next acquisition.

I've always had a little streak of paranoia, but still - there is a part of The Hobby which punishes success.  Perhaps even gleefully so.

Edited by thethedew

28 minutes ago, thethedew said:

I've been coming around to the viewpoint that the more I post, the more expensive the next attempted purchase becomes - or, seen from another perspective, the harder others work to thwart the next acquisition.

I've always had a little streak of paranoia, but still - there is a part of The Hobby which punishes success.  Perhaps even gleefully so.

Nah, you just probably want more expensive and better stuff.

3 hours ago, thethedew said:

I just think art prices are going up and up like crazy, and it is getting harder to find good pieces.  I don't think it's related to your posting.

And I would post.  If it is a good piece and one that I would want, I would bid whatever I could.  My bidding would have nothing to do with if someone else had posted it.

Post.

"This thing of ours" dies without joy. Sharing opinions, comments about art is the blood pumping through the veins.I went on CAF and saw the McFarlane. Made my day.

Post post post...;.

15 hours ago, thethedew said:

I can see where a collector who specializes in a particular artist, character, comic run, or is trying to fill out a complete book might be hesitant to advertise this. Someone who has a piece you are after may see this as a chance to drive a much harder bargain. But, for the rest of us, it's probably irrelevant.

Not in relation to the piece referenced above...

In theory, the goal of posting a random piece on CAF or elsewhere (e.g. Facebook) is "sharing".  So does it matter if you could already see the art on HA.com ??

Technically HA.com is not for "sharing" and you can't leave comments but it is there for all to see.  On HA.com it's a free account (for now) and HA is not selling your info (for now).

So the owner gets to keep their collection private.

Edited by Will_K