• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To post or not to post...?
2 2

23 posts in this topic

On 7/2/2019 at 9:39 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I can see where a collector who specializes in a particular artist, character, comic run, or is trying to fill out a complete book might be hesitant to advertise this. Someone who has a piece you are after may see this as a chance to drive a much harder bargain. But, for the rest of us, it's probably irrelevant.

My predicament.

On 7/1/2019 at 6:09 PM, thethedew said:

I've been coming around to the viewpoint that the more I post, the more expensive the next attempted purchase becomes - or, seen from another perspective, the harder others work to thwart the next acquisition.

I think if a collector has posted a certain number of pieces from a certain title or artist... picking a random niche title... Micronauts... that collector's leanings would be well established without having to post even more pieces.  On the other hand, one of the ways to get pieces coming out of the woodwork is to demonstrate demand for it (want lists) and establish prices to get that piece into the marketplace.

A character with broader appeal... e.g. Batman... also has a large enough following to drive higher prices. 

11 hours ago, Will_K said:

On the other hand, one of the ways to get pieces coming out of the woodwork is to demonstrate demand for it (want lists) and establish prices to get that piece into the marketplace.

That one, is the problem. At a much higher price point, lots of things may come out of the woodwork but be out of reach. I would rather have them stay in the woodwork and approach privately, or just wait. There is always another good piece around the corner, so if they stay buried, at least no new buyer will buy them to bury in their own black hole for another 20 years.